Author Topic: collied  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
Re: collied
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:44 AM »
I NEVER worry about collisions anymore - I applied and was granted (for a small monthly fee)  the HTC Flight Collision Avoidance Package - lets YOU fly away undamaged.
Also sends you a Get Well card should you fall ill and arranges for a maid to do your laundry on weekends.
Well worth the $$.

For those who can't afford it I'd suggest pillows..lots n lotsa pillows!!

....cheers eh! :D
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »
No, this is the best system eva!!!  If you colide, it is because of your bad <insert anything here>

To prove it, get in a fast plane, pick up some speed (the faster the better) and keep diving in front of bombers or anything slower.  When they collide with you, send them a PM stating that it is their fault since you did not see a collision on your end.  Ask them to get a better SA, better hardware, and come to the BBS so they can understand how collisions work and why they are needed so mach in a game where spits and LA5s will ask for a HO shot from a 110  :aok

I would turn them off, they don't seem to stop anyone from flying through you guns blazing any way.  They do have the ability to stop a good fight though.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
The same weirdness happens with weapon damage but no one runs in here and screams about it.  How many times have you been "shot down" by a guy who "on your screen had NO shooting solution" but on his you were a big target.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
The same weirdness happens with weapon damage but no one runs in here and screams about it.  How many times have you been "shot down" by a guy who "on your screen had NO shooting solution" but on his you were a big target.

:aok

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »
  How many times have you been "shot down" by a guy who "on your screen had NO shooting solution" but on his you were a big target.

You're trying to say that it should not work that way?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 09:30:18 AM »
You're trying to say that it should not work that way?

Why? Would that help you make an argument? lol.  Are you saying that I should be able to take you out simply by flying fast across your nose?  Is that how is should work?

It is what it is, and probably cant be fixed due to the 1000s of reasons stated in the 1000s of threads about the subject.  What can be fixed is to stop pretending that what we have works and it is not broken, figure out what the reasons for having the broken future are, and if the positives are more than the negatives we should keep it.  If not, turn it off. 

I guess, if I saw any benefit from it I would not be making these comments.  So, what does the collision mechanism we have today provide us with?  As I said, it does not seem to stop anyone from flying through you guns blazing so I would be looking for a different reason.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 09:30:48 AM »
I think most of us realise why it has to work that way, its still annoying though when you're working the angles, denying firing solutions with some finesse but still get shot :(
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 09:31:43 AM »
Why? Would that help you make an argument? lol.  Are you saying that I should be able to take you out simply by flying fast across your nose?  Is that how is should work?

It is what it is, and probably cant be fixed due to the 1000s of reasons stated in the 1000s of threads about the subject.  What can be fixed is to stop pretending that what we have works and it is not broken, figure out what the reasons for having the broken future are, and if the positives are more than the negatives we should keep it.  If not, turn it off.  

I guess, if I saw any benefit from it I would not be making these comments.  So, what does the collision mechanism we have today provide us with?  As I said, it does not seem to stop anyone from flying through you guns blazing so I would be looking for a different reason.

See the part I quoted from you. It wasn't about the collision model, and thus my question wasn't either.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »
I remember learning about net-lag in the '90s when I first tried flight sims online.  It was one of the most highly emphasized concepts for learning what's what.  These days it seems like many don't even suspect that playing a game with someone thousands of miles away might have irreparable consequences for the participants' relative points of view.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:34:50 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
It wasn't about the collision model, and thus my question wasn't either.

but collisions and off-angle shots both result from the way the game coad handles latency, different symptoms, same cause.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »
but collisions and off-angle shots both result from the way the game coad handles latency, different symptoms, same cause.

I know that.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 10:19:16 AM »
I know that.

I know you do, and since you could not provide any argument to the collisions question, you went for the easy pickings in the shooting comment.  Same cause, but one of the problems we can do with out.  So, do you think there is any benefit of having collisions on?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »
 :rolleyes:

I was just asking a simple question, because I'm not sure if I understood correctly what you were trying to say with that analogy. And because I do not like to base my arguments on assumptions what someone else might have meant, I just dared to ask a simple question to better understand your thoughts...

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »
:rolleyes:

I was just asking a simple question, because I'm not sure if I understood correctly what you were trying to say with that analogy. And because I do not like to base my arguments on assumptions what someone else might have meant, I just dared to ask a simple question to better understand your thoughts...

So, do you think there is a benefit from them being on?  Just a simple question.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 10:26:21 AM »
Yes.

Now could you answer mine? :)