Author Topic: Bob Hoover and the Stolen FW-190 to escape from Stalag Luft 1  (Read 11903 times)

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
Bob Hoover and the Stolen FW-190 to escape from Stalag Luft 1
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:16:14 AM »
If anyone in their mid 30's and older most likley remembers Bob Hoover, the great airshow pilot for North American.

Watching him in either the P-51 or Twin Shrike was mind blowing airmanship.

What I hadn't realized or known about was his exploits during the war.

While in the Med, (Piloting a Spitfire for the 52nd fighter group) was shot down by a remarkable deflection shot from the Fw 190 of 96-victory ace 2nd Lt. Siegfried Lemke of JG 2 (In Hoover's defense the belly tank was stuck on the Spit and the release handle came off in his hand).

Anyways, while at Stalag Luft 1 he managed to escape, stole a FW-190 and flew it to Holland at tree top level!

Pretty interesting Bio Write up!   

http://www.au.af.mil/au/goe/eagle_bios/2005/hoover_2005.asp

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Bob Hoover and the Stolen FW-190 to escape from Stalag Luft 1
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:05 AM »
With all the Americans stealing FW-190s its a wonder the Luftwaffe had any planes left.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »
Has this been verified or is it another 'Carr like tall tale'?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »
The 190 he stole was from a recovery unit that would strip them of parts that might keep other planes flying. The one plane on the field that could have flown (although beat up badly) is the one Hoover escaped with. This was not a primary field and there were no guards around. You should read his biography sometime!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
Here you go:

http://www.airportjournals.com/Display.cfm?varID=0702024

A few days after their arrival, the commanding officer, Col. John Stevenson, announced that a French major would be delivering and demonstrating a brand-new Lockheed P-38 Lightning. Although he had never flown the single-seater, twin-engine, twin-boom fighter before, Hoover had more twin-engine time than anyone else, and was told to put the plane through maneuvers after the initial display. Determined to outperform the major, Hoover put the Lightning through a series of low-altitude aerobatics.

"I was shutting down one engine and rolling into it, which is a no-no," he said. "Then I started up again, and shut the other one down and rolled in that direction. Then I started to do things with just one engine. When I landed, the colonel reprimanded me in front of everybody. He said, 'Young man, I want to see you in my office, immediately.' I thought, 'He's going to ground me.' When I knocked on the door, he yelled, 'Come in,' and by the time I got through the door, he was out of his seat and had his hand stuck out. He said, 'Young man, I've never seen anything like that in my life! I have 300 hours in that airplane; I'd kill myself if I tried to do that!"

He officially grounded Hoover from that airplane. But at places including Oran and Oujda, Morocco, he became familiar with the new P-40 and the P-39, and tested Spitfires and Hurricanes. Although he was unhappy with his assignment, he later regarded it as a great learning experience.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:12:03 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »
You know... after reading all about Bob Hoover it sounds like he would be a very good man to interview about aircraft performance.  :airplane:

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »
Bob Hoover, what an incredible pilot with an extremely interesting story.  Wish I could have seen him perform live.  

I highly reccomend his autobiography "Forever Flying" for anyone interested in learning more about him, he's been through quite a lot and had many close calls from his war years through his test piloting.  

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Flying-Bob-Hoover/dp/067153761X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257985485&sr=8-1

Here's an old video I found of him showing off the F-86 in 1961 at Clark AFB in the Phillipines - pretty cool video.  I get a kick out of his one wheel landings, heh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRt6UnNzR6I
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
Hi all!

In this movie he tells that story and some more....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09nWQHdRiU

:salute

That man went through so much and IMHO did not get all the recognition he deserved.... IMHO

Mutley 
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."