Author Topic: New History Channel Program  (Read 4439 times)

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
New History Channel Program
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:07:14 PM »
For you fellow WW2 aficionados, next Sunday on the History Channel there is a new 5 part program called ‘WW2 in HD’. 

Supposed to be film from ww2 not ‘seen’ before..or something like that.  In color I guess.  Might be worth a look.  :x

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
Re: New History Channel Propaganda
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »
Topic name fixed

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
Topic name fixed

Your country must have been an agressor that was pwnd.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: New History Channel Program
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
I'll haveta check it out. But I dont understand how they can have WWII in HD when HD recordings didnt exist yet.

That said. I love watching WWII footage. I just wish I could have access to the raw unedited film rather then just watch the little 4-5  second snippets they only show.

No, not for the gore in particular but I dont know how many times I've seen an interesting shot or scene that seemed to me to be cut shorter then I would have liked.
Now I understand they do this for time constraints and so they can get in as much as possible in the time alotted tot he show.
But there may be a scene as simple as a bunch of guys standing around hamming it up for the camera. But I find the stuff going on in the background just as interesting.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:54:47 PM »
Dred, have you ever seen that multi-volume documentary the bbc did in the '70s?  That has a lot of footage that you might like.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »
I'll be watching it, i think they have remastered the film into HD format, I'm looking forward to seeing it in HD even thou it might not be as crisp never the less its a definite watch.
 Did anyone get the see the History Channels WW2 360 over Vets day? the CGI was awesome and put a different aspect into the war.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Your country must have been an agressor that was pwnd.

Your country must invent the P51 'Hand brake turn', right?

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 02:08:14 PM »
Dred, have you ever seen that multi-volume documentary the bbc did in the '70s?  That has a lot of footage that you might like.

No, don't think I have.  My favorite WW2 documentary was World at War, with lots of interviews and footage.  Haven't seen it in years on TV.  

Do you recall the name of the bbc documentary?

I dont know how many times I've seen an interesting shot or scene that seemed to me to be cut shorter then I would have liked.

And I thought I was the only one.  

I always wondered where the footage from ww2 films come from.  Do you suppose it is in the Library of Congress?

I wonder if you could go to DC and request archived footage.  I mean, how do the documentary guys pull all this footage together anyway?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:09:55 PM by DREDger »

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 02:26:28 PM »
If it's the same prog that's been churning out on cable here in Blighty it's the old Nugus WW2 series, reshot in colour and HD.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
No its not 'reshot in color and HD.' Film (not digital) has always been higher resolution than HD and it had to be reduced to fit TV formats. In WWII most footage was in color but had to be reduced to B&W to avoid distribution costs (every theater in the U.S. got the same Newsreels at the same time - approximately). But the essence of what you said (repeat) is probably true.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »
Topic name fixed

You must be stupid stupid stupid

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
ooooo do you know what time? all day?

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
My favorite WW2 documentary was World at War, with lots of interviews and footage.  Haven't seen it in years on TV.  

Sorry, that's the one I was thinking of.  I forgot the name.  It's a fantastic documentary because it was made when the people who participated in the events were still alive and lucid.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
ooooo do you know what time? all day?

Sunday night, starts at 7 or 8.  Then each night thereafter until Friday.

Sorry, that's the one I was thinking of.  I forgot the name.  It's a fantastic documentary because it was made when the people who participated in the events were still alive and lucid.

It really was good, especially as you say the WW2 vets being interviewed at the time were not that old. 

I think I am going to see about netflix on those documentaries, I'd like to watch it from an adults perspective now.  I think I was a teenager last time I saw any of those.

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 04:30:40 PM »
You must be stupid stupid stupid

Then the stupid meets the naive :)