Author Topic: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting  (Read 42431 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »
Well, getting back to the thread, it would be nice to have a pure tank killer fighter in the game. The Yak-9T will do in a pinch but it fired HE rounds that just dont have the penetration of the AP 37mms of the IL2.

The Hurri-D is a pure tank killer but I dont think the steel AP round of the Brit 40mm "S" gun could compare with the German AP rounds. Ive spent a good deal of time in the Hurri-D off line and found it surprisingly effective when its rounds are fired point blank at the top armor weak points of tanks. Best of all you can wheel it around so easily and get set up for your next run. Ive flown it before but not much. This is an amazing airplane, I have come to discover.

The Stuka-G would be a great addition I believe. A great event airplane as well. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2009, 03:20:09 PM »
Well, the discussion of how many rounds it gets is a pretty big consideration as to how much it would be used in the game, which is a big consideration when deciding to develop it or not.
I think its interesting,, I think its hitting power and slow speed handling would make it deadly against tanks in the game, but it is so slow it would be absolute meat at low level in the MA. This of how easy it is to lead this thing with a wirble.
And with 6! shots. you cant try to take that wirble down at a distance either.

Offline Madguns

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »
When did we actually get the Stuka in the game? 

I'm just sayin, don't hold your breath.
I like to Rocket Vulch!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 11:28:49 PM »
Williams says that Bk 3.7 could take "a maximum of 12 rounds, with 6 and 8 round clips also being used"

it fires at 64% of the rate of the Ns37..
So we are talking about a plane that has 8 times the ammo, and fires nearly twice as fast as the Stuka G.
On top of that, the plane is far more vulnerable to ground fire then the Il2....

Each round does penetrate twice as much though even at 500 meters.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »
This will be fun,  :devil

Panzer dweebs beware.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 12:39:09 AM »
+1  :aok
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 06:05:49 AM »
Williams says that Bk 3.7 could take "a maximum of 12 rounds, with 6 and 8 round clips also being used"

it fires at 64% of the rate of the Ns37..
So we are talking about a plane that has 8 times the ammo, and fires nearly twice as fast as the Stuka G.
On top of that, the plane is far more vulnerable to ground fire then the Il2....

Each round does penetrate twice as much though even at 500 meters.

Its not that easy. First off I bet most players waste at least 1/2 their IL2 ammo. If you have less, as in the Hurri-D, you waste less and place your shots better while also taking pains to set them up better. Im guilty of this as well so I speak from experience. The Hurri-D has 30 rounds overall. Place 2 to 4 in the right spots and you'll fatally wound any tank.

Penetration figures reports for the German ammo vary widely. I dont think there was any airborne tank gun in that era that could shoot thru 100mm of armor at 500 m. Certainly not a 37mm one.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:59 AM »
There are two 6 round clips per gondola.  In theory (there is a pic of seven going in) you could load the chamber with a round.  That means that each gun had a maximum capacity of 13 rounds or 26 combined.  The two clips are mounted on opposite sides with one clip staggered or lower than the opposite side to allow for the ejection port to get rid of the spent casing. 

As far as the OP is concerned.  I would love to see this.  It would be a great support plane for taking VB's.  Imagine that far off VB that doesn't have a AB around.  Three stukas with the 1800kg and two with 37mm for the guys that slip out.  Would be fun.   :devil
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Interesting link. My German isn't so good so it took a bit to skim through the article but this is what I got out of it...

The only mention of 12 rounds in an aircraft installation I see is here;

"Zuerst wurden einige He 129 B-2-Flugzeuge als Schlachtflieger außer der Bewaffnung von zwei MG 151/20 mit je einer BK 3,7 und 12 Schuß Munition ausgerüstet und mit Erfolg erprobt."

Which I think means something to the affect of 'First used in the He 129B-2 attack aircraft with 2 MG151/20, along with a BK 37 and 12 rounds of ammunition.' (not sure what 'mit Erfolg erprobt' means?)
However I think the BK 37 in the He 129 was in a much different installation than the Ju 87 so that's not really relevant.

also...

Munition und Magazin (Pz.Gr.): (munitions and magazines (panzer grenadier= armor piercing high explosive?))
(jede BK hatte 2 Magazine mit je 6 Schuss) (every BK has (? what is hatte?) two magazines with 6 rounds. I don't know where the second magazine goes in the Ju87 though.)

Not the only mention:

could u translate the last line?
I believe the it says something like.
Each weapon carried 2 magazine of 6 rounds, and it mentions the Ju87.

In this film if you stop it at 1/2 way there is a young man standing next to the gun with the front of the gun housing off you can clearly see the "feeder tray" inside the housing continue to the centerline of the gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umh_YP5o6k0&feature=player_embedded

Continue to  about 3/4's to 7/8th's stop the film again. Count the number of rounds you can see in the clip. I get 8 before the housing. That leaves 4 inside the housing on the feeder tray. Remember this gun is mounted upside down and a new feeding system was designed. And notice the last round is hanging out sort of willie nillie.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:37:46 AM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »
could u translate the last line?
I believe the it says something like.
Each weapon carried 2 magazine of 6 rounds, and it mentions the Ju87.
The translation is Each Weapon had 2 magazine and 6 Shot...and remember, that was the Ju-87G-2 and the HS129...not the Ju-87G-1
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
It is now my personal mission to bump this tread until we receive the Ju87 with 37mm's on it. :neener:
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
The translation is Each Weapon had 2 magazine and 6 Shot

Megalodons translation was correct. "á" doesn't mean "and".
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
The issue is that HTC would have to update both Stuka models as they the original AH1 port.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »
The issue is that HTC would have to update both Stuka models as they the original AH1 port.

He would only need to update one Stuka model (since we only have one) and then add a perked ordnance option for the D-3 to carry the 37mm Flak 18 cannons.  It was historically accurate for the D-3 to carry the 37mm cannon as they did so operationally at Kursk.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline max107

• Zinc Member
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
I like it  :rock