Author Topic: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting  (Read 42435 times)

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
Re: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2010, 08:47:42 AM »
I can promise I would fly the Stuka over the IL2 any day. Plus I would have the deadly Vilkas gunning for me.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »
And let's not forget very often players are enthusiastically supporting the inclusion of a plane just because of myths or name recognition - and when it'S there and they have to face the MA cartoon reality they hardly fly it at all ;)

to wit, the p39.. I cant remember the last time I saw one in the MA..
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
Because it's more effective.

Can kill any tank, but has more ammo and higher ROF, and it's much better armored.

This. This, right here, is why the 37mm option for the Stuka should not, not, NOT  be perked if it's made available. Because it is balanced by the fact that it's on A BLOODY STUKA. Slow, vulnerable, with LOL mm's of armor.

On the other hand I don't think the IL-2 in the game is as good a gun platform as the Ju-87, and the Ju-87 is rather more stable and controllable in diving attacks as well (which is the angle one should be using against tanks, if you want to hit the thin top/deck armor.)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »

On the other hand I don't think the IL-2 in the game is as good a gun platform as the Ju-87, and the Ju-87 is rather more stable and controllable in diving attacks as well (which is the angle one should be using against tanks, if you want to hit the thin top/deck armor.)

Maybe more stable... but that doesn't mean the Il2 is being unstable in any way. It a rock solid weapons platform, if one has any problems in aiming in a IL2 he will have the same in a 87G. On top of that more ammo and higher ROF means aiming at and hitting your target is much easier.

That's one reason almost nobody is using the Hurricane 2D in it's intended role, not even back in time when the Il2 only had the 23mm cannons and the Hurri was the only cannon bird capable of killing every tank on the AH battlefield.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline l0newolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »
If we cant have that then what about the BF110's under belly mounted 40 mm cannon?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
If we cant have that then what about the BF110's under belly mounted 40 mm cannon?

40mm cannon?  :huh

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
If we cant have that...
Bite your tongue sir!

The JU87 w\37mm is our destiny.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
to wit, the p39.. I cant remember the last time I saw one in the MA..

You must not be on very much or you're hanging around the MW...I can name several players that fly the P-39 almost every day in LW Blue.

For those who want to do some tank busting, especially in base defense, I'm betting a Stuka with the 37mm's would get used as much as the IL2...not just for the novelty. I rarely do any tank busting in a plane but if we had the option for the 37mms for the Stuka's it would be my pick every time...of course being able to add 1 bomb to the loadout would have to be available as well.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »
You must not be on very much or you're hanging around the MW...I can name several players that fly the P-39 almost every day in LW Blue.

Thats right several players... out of ~6000
For a plane that came out #2 in the poll (way ahead it's other competitors) it's amazingly non-used... one of the rarest planes to encounter at all ;)

I'm betting a Stuka with the 37mm's would get used as much as the IL2...not just for the novelty.

Why?

.of course being able to add 1 bomb to the loadout would have to be available as well.

The Ju 87G didn't carry bombs.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:15:59 PM by Lusche »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »
Thats right several players... out of ~6000
For a plane that came out #2 in the poll (way ahead it's other competitors) it's amazingly non-used... one of the rarest planes to encounter at all ;)
No offense Lusche but the P-39Q gets used more than the P-51B or P-40.

The Ju 87G didn't carry bombs.
Uh...might want to research that again...depending on the mission there would be a single 500lbs or 1000lbs bomb carried as well as the cannons.
jarhed  

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
No offense Lusche but the P-39Q gets used more than the P-51B or P-40.

No it doesn't. I have the year's total numbers right in front of me.

And even if it would be used more than the 40 (which it does not): That's not my point either. The point is simply the observation that lots of players wanted to have a plane, talked about how great it would be to have & to fly it... and then almost none of them actually uses it it.

What people want and what they really do are often two very different things ;)

Uh...might want to research that again...depending on the mission there would be a single 500lbs or 1000lbs bomb carried as well as the cannons.

Yes sir... will do. :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »

Ok, just did some research.

In "Waffen Arsenal 133 Deutsche Sturzkampfflugzeuge" by Manfred Griehl there is a reproduction of an official document by the Chef TLR (Technische Luftrüstung), date 19 August 1944. It's a complete technical overview of all Ju 87 versions.

For the G-1 and G-2, it states: "Abwurfanlage: entfällt" (Bomb release mechanism: None), which means none of them had any means to carry bombs.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »

And even if it would be used more than the 40 (which it does not): That's not my point either. The point is simply the observation that lots of players wanted to have a plane, talked about how great it would be to have & to fly it... and then almost none of them actually uses it it.

What people want and what they really do are often two very different things ;)
Well, yeah that's true...especially here...desire for novelty gratification seems to be as prevalent as the desire for instant gratification.

I just re-read what I was quoting about the G series and single bombs...I was mis reading...the description says "often a 500lbs or 1000lbs bomb would be carried during the anti-tank missions"...and upon re-reading it's talking about the combined operations of G-1/G-2 squads and standard Ju-87's with bomb racks...sorry Lusche.
jarhed  

Offline RamPytho

• Copper Member
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »

We want pretty pie charts  :rofl
Being ~~The Killuminati~~ bait since tour 109

from the OP post, looks like proper grammar is perked and he's all out of perks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
We want pretty pie charts  :rofl

Patience, grasshopper!  :old: