Author Topic: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting  (Read 42431 times)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Re: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2010, 05:10:08 AM »
It's just that  apparently many people seem to overrate it's impact and long time appeal to players in Aces High. It will have it's place for sure, but in the long run it won't pwn tanks more than the Il2 with the 37mm option.

And let's not forget very often players are enthusiastically supporting the inclusion of a plane just because of myths or name recognition - and when it'S there and they have to face the MA cartoon reality they hardly fly it at all ;)

Again, if you follow through that argument to the end we would end up with maybe 4 or 5 top rides being enough to satisfy 99% of the MA flyers. As a Luftwobble from day one I got used to not having the shiniest toys in the batch. A good part of my AH career I spent in the 190A8 which is not best in any role. I did plenty of bomb runs in the fragile Ju-88 and only looked at B-26s from the outside. Maybe it's just my roleplaying ego but I almost feel bad having to up an Il-2 for GV hunting when ord is down. For me personally the JU87G will be my main tank buster if we ever get it.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2010, 08:20:25 AM »
Again, if you follow through that argument to the end

I don't ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2010, 08:32:34 AM »
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
The point is simply the observation that lots of players wanted to have a plane, talked about how great it would be to have & to fly it... and then almost none of them actually uses it it.

What people want and what they really do are often two very different things ;)

Indeed. I remember the enthusiasm prior to the release of the P-39. It had more threads on the 2 weeks prior to it's release than ever since.
I'm glad HTC skipped the polling on planes inclusion since that...at least it seems so. 

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
And even if it would be used more than the 40 (which it does not): That's not my point either. The point is simply the observation that lots of players wanted to have a plane, talked about how great it would be to have & to fly it... and then almost none of them actually uses it it.

What people want and what they really do are often two very different things ;)

I understand your point Lusche its like going to a buffet and overloading because it looks good.  But in this case the majority of players in this thread who are asking for the 37mm option fly primarily german only iron, with no other option available for the big guns.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »

I understand your point Lusche its like going to a buffet and overloading because it looks good.  But in this case the majority of players in this thread who are asking for the 37mm option fly primarily german only iron, with no other option available for the big guns.
Very true. I almost exclusively use the German equipment available in the game...even if it means I'm sure to lose the fight. Once in a while I'll grab something else, and maybe run 1 or 2 sorties with it...then I jump right back in the German gear. Adding the G1 cannon setup should take about the same time as the P-47M did, and that's just because the guns would have to be modeled.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2010, 05:04:45 PM »
A shameless bump, to add this great bird

Even if they just add the weapon pods to the existing model would be enough for me  :devil

Edit

and some gun cam videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6OK1zSxKg
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:34:48 PM by jdbecks »
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »
Ok, just did some research.

In "Waffen Arsenal 133 Deutsche Sturzkampfflugzeuge" by Manfred Griehl there is a reproduction of an official document by the Chef TLR (Technische Luftrüstung), date 19 August 1944. It's a complete technical overview of all Ju 87 versions.

For the G-1 and G-2, it states: "Abwurfanlage: entfällt" (Bomb release mechanism: None), which means none of them had any means to carry bombs.

True but the D-3 was capable of being equipped with either bombs or the 37mm gun pod (like some D-3s were in the Battle of Kursk) but they couldn't carry both bombs or the 37mm cannon.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2010, 09:32:22 AM »
Did we ever figure out how much ammo the 37 cannons actually carried?  Is it 12 per gun or 12 total?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »
Did we ever figure out how much ammo the 37 cannons actually carried?  Is it 12 per gun or 12 total?

Doing some reading, it was fitted with two 6 round cartridges per gun, so a total of 12 rounds per pod...that's my understanding of it anyway.

I shall continue the search  :noid

dont know how accurate this is;

Barrel Armaments
Ju 87A-2 - One 7.92mm MG 15 manually aimed in rear cockpit
Ju 87B series, R series, C - Two 7.92mm Rheinmetall MG 17 machine guns in wings, One 7.92mm MG 15 manually aimed in rear cockpit
Ju 87D-1 to D-3, D-7 - Two 7.92mm Rheinmetall MG 17 machine guns in wings, one 7.92mm MG 81Z twin machine guns manually aimed in rear cockpit
Ju 87D-4 - Two underwing WB81 weapon containers each housing six MG 81 guns.
Ju 87D-5, D-8 - Two 20mm MG 151/20 cannon in wings, one 7.92mm MG 81Z twin machine guns manually aimed in rear cockpit Ju 87G - Two 37mm Flak 18 Bord Kannone (12 rounds of ammo carried per gun)
Ju 87H - None (Used for training)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:22:01 AM by jdbecks »
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »
Some info regarding the BK 37:
The Bordkanone BK 37 ((on-)board cannon 37) was a 37mm anti-tank/bomber autocannon based on the earlier 37 mm Flak 18 made by Rheinmetall. It was mounted on World War II Luftwaffe aircraft such as the anti-tank or bomber-destroyer versions of the Junkers Ju 87D-3 and G-2, Henschel Hs 129B-2/R3, Messerschmitt Bf 110G-2/R1-3, and others. The cannon could be attached under the wings or fuselage of the aircraft as a self-contained pod with a 12-round magazine. It fired APCR (Tungsten hard core) ammunition or high explosive shells in 37x263B mm caliber at 160 rounds per minute.

I pulled this info off of the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BK_37

According to the info here, it is telling me that the BK 37 carried a 12 round magazine.  They probably loaded a round into the gun prior to loading the 12 round magazine, meaning each gun would have 13 rounds for a total of 26.  But in our case, we would only have 24 rounds total.
I had to quote myself... :lol  I know wiki isn't the most reliable source for information, but you can't just dismiss it either. :aok
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:57:40 AM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:22 PM »
2 reasons why we should have this.

1 - This would make the JU-87 a viable tank buster so it would see ALOT more use in the MA's AND it would let me kill more of you guys per sortie with MAI BOOMSTIK5  :D

2 - Hitech and the gang can put an end to Snail and Ack-Ack's CONSTANT debate to what is a much needed add.

Pacman
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
seems like a relativly easy addition to the game . . . and it will actually give us some options when it comes to killing people who actually drive in this game (mowar powa to the flyaz!!)

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:13 AM »

2 - Hitech and the gang can put an end to Snail and Ack-Ack's CONSTANT debate to what is a much needed add.

Pacman

Well my little tool, if you go back 8-9 years (way before you started playing), you'll find a few threads started by me asking for the Ju 87G-1.  You just jumped on the band wagon 9 years too late.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2010, 03:42:13 AM »
seems like a relativly easy addition to the game . . . and it will actually give us some options when it comes to killing people who actually drive in this game (mowar powa to the flyaz!!)

It would be easy, all that would be needed would be to give the Ju 87D-3 the option to carry the Flak 18 37 mm cannon gun pods and you now have a Ju 87G-1.

ack-ack