Author Topic: Two Newb questions  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Noobersauce

• Zinc Member
Two Newb questions
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »
Just started playing......

Everytime I move my joystick to fast my plane shakes and i get stall warning.  Can i adjust setttings on my joystick for a smoother ride?  please refain from all the "joystick jokes" that can be had from this sentence :)

also my ping is 67 in game is that bad, good, average or effing terrible?

Also does frame rate matter??

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Two Newb questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:29:37 PM »
Everytime I move my joystick to fast my plane shakes and i get stall warning.  Can i adjust setttings on my joystick for a smoother ride?  

Yes you can. Visit the Trainer Corps website http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ and look for "Setup Controllers". All explained there.

also my ping is 67 in game is that bad, good, average or effing terrible?
Also does frame rate matter??

The ping is not that important, it's (almost) all about connection stability. Ping of 67 itself is pretty good.
Frame rate can matter to some extend, you gaming experience may suffer at low FR's. Whats you usual one?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:32:33 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
Take a look at the trainers site http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ if you look down the menu on the left under Game Setup they have a nice write up and adjusting the joystick.  There will be a little trial and error till you find something you are comfortable with. Between setup and some practice you'll get a handle on how the planes behave.  

Frame rates, you're generally looking for anything about 25-26 frames a second (or higher). If you are consistently pinging the servers at 67ms you're more than fine, what's more important avoiding wild spikes in latency and dropping packets of data on the way to the server, the game is quite playable at much higher pings as long as the packets are getting to the server.  

*edit* damn you snail, beat me to it. :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:39:41 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Noobersauce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
thanks guys i will give the setup controller thingy a try

frame rates are 25-36 (i beleive on average)

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Your frame rate looks good :aok. Make sure it doesn't crap out in huge fights.

Re: joystick - I personally believe it's more important to learn smooth handling than it is to mess with joystick settings and scaling. In other words, learn to make precise and smooth inputs with your hand rather than relying on your joystick scaling to smooth out your inputs. Just my opinion - you can of course set your scaling with the links these guys have provided. I do have my elevator input scaled myself, but it is not anywhere near as dramatic as the standard 0%-100% scaling. Mine's 70%-100%.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
Scaling often depends on what stick you have.

CH sticks can often be very smooth with no scaling at all, or even all maxed out across the board.

However try that with a saitek or a logitech and you've got a stick that you can't fly with.

Yes you will in time learn to have a smoother hand on the stick. And once that happens you can tighten up on the scaling.

But for starting its hard to beat a good smooth scaled curve, where 0 is at very bottom. And it curves up smoothly to 90 kind of like the   ) only tipped on its side.

Roll you can generally leave pretty aggressive, as it won't stall you out.

If you have twist rudder try adding a bit of deadband to that axis.
So you don't add rudder just banking the plane.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »
However try that with a saitek or a logitech and you've got a stick that you can't fly with.
Are they that bad? I've only flown with my MS stick.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »
Scaling often depends on what stick you have.
CH sticks can often be very smooth with no scaling at all, or even all maxed out across the board.

Yes you will in time learn to have a smoother hand on the stick. And once that happens you can tighten up on the scaling.

But for starting its hard to beat a good smooth scaled curve, where 0 is at very bottom. And it curves up smoothly to 90

Roll you can generally leave pretty aggressive, as it won't stall you out.

Saitek X52 I suggest moving all of the sliders for roll/pitch to 100 across the board. It works out really well for a lot of us, but yea a more gentle hand is required. The response you get out of your bird once you get used to it is well worth the effort.
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 02:34:34 AM »

Wow, call me a moron but I never knew you could apply deadband to the rudder axis. D'oh!! I've been flying with a twisty stick for years and have always considered a little "unwanted rudder" to be a small price to pay for the large ACTUAL price I don't have to pay for rudder pedals. I've always tried to keep my movement as non-twisty as possible for this reason but still inevitably got some rudder input.

That's why I love these new player help threads. Either I can throw in my two cents of advice, or I end up being the one who gets helped! Thanks for the tip, Ghost. Appreciated.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 08:01:18 AM »
Noobersauce check to see if you have STALL LIMITER turned off. It's on by default.

Clipboard>Options>Prefs>Flight

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
Wish I had a ping of 67. :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
Bad, no, sensitive on a par with a MS stick, often equal or in some cases more so.
More sensitive than a CH or TM stick, beyond a doubt.

Are they that bad? I've only flown with my MS stick.

Just as a FYI, here are a few examples.

Just a slight curve, this is what I fly with on my MS Sidewinder.

For a really sensitive stick, or a new hand you might go with something like below.

You can see this has a bit more curve to it. As you train your head and hand to work together, you can
often change scaling to get more response. Like what Humble was talking about.

However, in my experience, if your new, and you don't have a very smooth hand, and CH gear. Setting inputs to the top across the board usually results in me talking through that person back into a good scaling. Try it if you like it, but backup your settings folder first!

This is how I have my rudder setup, pretty much default scaling, but with extra deadband.
The easy way to find that sweet spot for your deadband is to highlight rudder.
Go to advanced, now without adding rudder, just move the stick back and forth. Around in circles, etc, like you would when you are flying. If you see the "raw" and "Scaled" lines moving, add deadband until you can do so without moving the "scaled" line.

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
Just curious, but are you talking about you stalling when you push too hard? Or saying your stick is off calibration? From what you wrote it seems like you are fighting the stall limiter.

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
That's kinda what I was thinking. All the scaling in the world wont help if you've a heavy hand or are just flying the plane beyond it's aerodynamic limits. While scaling is important, a smooth hand at the controls is essential. Try flying a spit for a while then switch over to a P40. You will immediately understand the value of a smooth hand.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
Bad, no, sensitive on a par with a MS stick, often equal or in some cases more so.
More sensitive than a CH or TM stick, beyond a doubt.

Just as a FYI, here are a few examples.

Just a slight curve, this is what I fly with on my MS Sidewinder.
(Image removed from quote.)

For a really sensitive stick, or a new hand you might go with something like below.

You can see this has a bit more curve to it. As you train your head and hand to work together, you can
often change scaling to get more response. Like what Humble was talking about.

However, in my experience, if your new, and you don't have a very smooth hand, and CH gear. Setting inputs to the top across the board usually results in me talking through that person back into a good scaling. Try it if you like it, but backup your settings folder first!

This is how I have my rudder setup, pretty much default scaling, but with extra deadband.
The easy way to find that sweet spot for your deadband is to highlight rudder.
Go to advanced, now without adding rudder, just move the stick back and forth. Around in circles, etc, like you would when you are flying. If you see the "raw" and "Scaled" lines moving, add deadband until you can do so without moving the "scaled" line.

Ghosth , is that how you got your sidewinder set up  . I have one and I have all the slide's alll the way up , not on the deadband thing though .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!