Author Topic: Fan connection: 3 pin or 4 pin  (Read 553 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Fan connection: 3 pin or 4 pin
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »
My fans have has 4 pin connector from the ps and a mb connector of 3 pins. Which should I use? Never really paid attention before.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Fan connection: 3 pin or 4 pin
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »
3 pins on the MB will generally allow Fan Speed Control (if the MB supports it).   4 pins run at full power.    Typically Exhaust fans should be run Full Power.   But depending on the case/zone within case, it may vary.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:08:53 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:33:41 AM »
A 4 pin (not molex) over a 3 pin.  Most motherboards have only 3 pin connectors for fans OTHER then the CPU fan which will be a 4 pin.  The 4 pin is for PWM fan which means Pulse Width Modulation.  In easy terms, if regulates the speed of the fan through digital pulses and is much more efficient and reliable than a 3 pin connected fan.  Also the fan is controlled by the CPU rather then the MB itself.  CPUs for quite some time now have had the PWM controller on the CPU for the use of these fans.

If your MB has temp settings ranges in the BIOS a PWM fan will adhere to these ranges much more then a 3 pin.

If you just speaking about case fans and to use the Molex or the 3 pin, I prefer the Molex to take the load off the MB and put it on the PSU.

TD

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:08:45 AM »
AMD(am2/am3) uses 4 pin off the motherboard (speed and temp sensors)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
Thanks folks!

I think I've asked that question before. I just finished putting my gaming rig into a new NZXT case. I highly recommend this case. It is roomy and allows for good cable management. From TD's advice I drilled a few holes for even better cable management. Now My cable management isn't quite finished but it is so much better than what it was before. I also switched PSUs, taking my Silencer from my nongaming rig and putting it in my gaming rig. I had a modular cable PSU in the gaming rig and I think it was causing me some issues. The problem that took the longest was how the heck do the Hard drives go into the cage. Then Doh! there is some very small plastic brackets that have a small pin that you just hold on the hdd and slide it in. Must have messed with that for an hour. It was just too simple for my complex brain. Well that's the view I'm taking.

What surprised me the most was that both computers booted the first time. Usually I have to make 20 trips to the kitchen to see what I missed.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »
lol getback I had the same problem, took me just as long to figure it out.  I love that case too  :banana:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »
Thanks folks!

I think I've asked that question before. I just finished putting my gaming rig into a new NZXT case. I highly recommend this case. It is roomy and allows for good cable management. From TD's advice I drilled a few holes for even better cable management. Now My cable management isn't quite finished but it is so much better than what it was before. I also switched PSUs, taking my Silencer from my nongaming rig and putting it in my gaming rig. I had a modular cable PSU in the gaming rig and I think it was causing me some issues. The problem that took the longest was how the heck do the Hard drives go into the cage. Then Doh! there is some very small plastic brackets that have a small pin that you just hold on the hdd and slide it in. Must have messed with that for an hour. It was just too simple for my complex brain. Well that's the view I'm taking.

What surprised me the most was that both computers booted the first time. Usually I have to make 20 trips to the kitchen to see what I missed.
What case did you get? I got the Lexa S for my new build.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:34:17 PM »
What case did you get? I got the Lexa S for my new build.

Tempest. I got it from TD.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 06:51:09 PM »
Tempest. I got it from TD.
Ah rgr, got mine from him too. Yeah the HDD mounts are very handy, beats using a screw driver!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »
wow that makes 3 of us.  I got my case from TD too  :D.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
wow that makes 3 of us.  I got my case from TD too  :D.

semp

Dang, he's having a fire sale.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »
Dang, he's having a fire sale.
Now add the mid 100's of systems from AH guys, that's a lot of Tempest cases

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 07:23:34 AM »
They have 4-pin motherboard fan connections now? Sheesh, I've fallen so far behind...day by day, I wonder which one of my hard drives is going to give up first... :noid
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 08:20:41 AM »
TD ordered my Tempest as well.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:49:59 PM »
Another NZXT tempest user. The NZXT Sentry LX fan controller not only works well with it,looks cool too.