Author Topic: X52 vs X52 Pro  (Read 522 times)

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
X52 vs X52 Pro
« on: November 24, 2009, 06:11:09 AM »
Well, I've had my X52 for a few years and the kids and I have been a lil hard on it.  The LEDs on the stick now blink and is starts rolling and losing it's cal after a bit.  My question is; is it worth the extra $60 to upgrade to the X52 pro?  Whats the big difference?  If it's a "beefier" stick then I would probably get the pro, but if not I will save some $$$.

Looking for suggestions from the community. 

Not really looking for a Saitek vs CH thread but just the difference between the 2  X52's.

thanks
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
Re: X52 vs X52 Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:06:13 AM »
I had a X52 Pro for a week before I RMA'd it because the spring was too stiff for me - I prefered the X52 weaker action. Can't remember any other differences, maybe the pro is better quality plastic  :rofl

(I have now moved on to the CH fighterstick + X52 throttle, the CH action is far more precise than the X52 for me, although the hat/button placements are worse)
Game ID: Blimey

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »
In my experience the LED's blink on the joystick when the cable looses connection, same thing can cause stick to lose calibration.

Did you happen to try a new cable?

Also, there are a few new sticks coming out on the market soon if you can wait a little bit. I have the X-52 and the rudder is starting to get finicky, not bad for two years of hard play for $100.

Strip

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »
In my experience the LED's blink on the joystick when the cable looses connection, same thing can cause stick to lose calibration.

Did you happen to try a new cable?

[snip]

I found that pushing blue tack around the base of each cable, then securing that with duct tape keeps it in most of the time.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 03:13:09 AM »
There's really very little difference between the standard and pro versions. 

Cosmetic:  The pro looks nicer (all black) and includes some nice metal parts including the mode wheel, stick base toggles and coolie hat. The multi-function display is angled a bit more and its controls were changed.  The safety guarded switch on the stick also changes color based on whether the guard is up or down.  All this stuff is really just cosmetic.

Function:  The X52's resistance cone is plastic while the Pro's is metal.  This mostly solves the X52's problem of wear between the cone and base ring it rests on.  In the standard 52 the plastic cone starts to wear right away and will eventually begin to develop a notch that causes it to stick.  The Pro's metal cone doesn't do that so it stays smoother over time.  Also, the single X52 resistance spring was changed to a double spring on the Pro to give a more progressive resistance the further you get from the centered position.  I personally like the slightly stiffer feel of the Pro.

All that said, the Pro is still an X52.  Saitek tends to use inexpensive (read cheap) switches and they didn't change them in the Pro.  I've had several standard 52's and the big failure point for me was the coolie hat (POV); however, I've been using Track IR for quite a while so don't use the coolie hat for views, it's programmed for other functions and doesn't get the workout it used to.  The biggest disappointment for me with the Pro is that it has the same sloppy stick center as does the standard 52.  There is too much play between the resistance cup and metal stick shaft and too much slop in the gimbals.  This means you can wiggle the stick about 1/2 inch total with no response at all.  I had hoped that with the switch to the metal cone the Pro's stick would be better in this regard but it's not.  So much for hope.  Not working out well for the country, didn't work well for the X52 Pro either.  Also, they changed the throttle detent design with the Pro and it's not better, it's worse.  The detent broke on my Pro after one year as did the detent on a friend's Pro.

So, is the Pro worth the extra cost?  I would say no unless you're really into looks.  The Pro's much better looking but functionally it's pretty much the same.  Keep the standard version's plastic cone lubricated with a little lithium grease and it'll stay nice and smooth.  If you think the single spring is too light then you can just cut out a plastic washer to sit on top of the spring to stiffen it up a bit.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »
I've has Saiteks ever since I switched from flying left handed to right to use a HOTAS. I started with the X36 and progressed thru the X45 to the X52. Both my X36 and X45 stilled worked fine when they were passed on to others in need. My X52 started to go on the fritz earlier this year, like many an issue with USB cord caused it to lose its settings. I "solved" it by securing the cord at an angle that seemed to put pressure on the connection to ensure connectivity (the power of Duct Tape:)) but went ahead and got a G940 shortly after they came out. To me the biggest advantage the G940 offers is the centering tension of the force feedback. This allows tremendous control of the "spring tension" across the entire band but also the centering pressure which equates to a variable spring tension. Not all that easy to get used to since it can give your arm a workout and does effect your flying to a degree.

Overall my E retention is better and general ACM "smoother" but the increasing "feedback" makes it tougher at times in a furball initially. I flopped back and forth but everytime I toggle the4 centering on and increase the FFB to derfault my gunnery seems to get much much better...so I'm relearning to fly with a much "stiffer" setup...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:28:13 AM »
havent tried the X52 but have been using the Pro for about 18months now, I like the stiff-springed action and wouldnt want it any looser. throttle detent broke after a few months, its still there and usable, just not as definite as before. hatswitches all still working fine however my up view modifier switch on the throttle sometimes goes a bit flaky (gets more use than all the other buttons put together) probably just a bit gunky. keep meaning to give it a blast of ambercleanse or switch cleaner, wiggling it about a bit seems to clear it though.

Overall my E retention is better ...
thats hard to imagine - ive never duelled anyone who bleeds as little E as you do maneuvering :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli