Author Topic: Spit9 do's don'ts  (Read 1917 times)

Offline onan

• Copper Member
Spit9 do's don'ts
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
Hi guys
I've been flying Spit9 for a few weeks now and still trying to find what it's good at and how to fight with it.
It handles well and turns fairly tight with flaps out, I thinks only the MK5 out turns it.  But with the flaps retracted the turn radius is larger than
all the other Spits.
Speed is ok.  Good response when diving. Climbs approx 3.3K/min 3.8K/min with WEP.
All in all it's a great little plane. I love flying it and will keep with it till I find what I'm looking for.
Just not doing to good with killing with it. 
I realise that most of my problems are down to poor decision making  in the first place, ie getting into fights that I will struggle to
stay alive in. 
I would like to find the time and place to use it when the Spit9 is at it's best.

Thanks in advance for any help

KlunK

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Spit9 do's don'ts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »
I realise that most of my problems are down to poor decision making  in the first place, ie getting into fights that I will struggle to
stay alive in.  

SA is pretty important in the MA if your thinking about returning home safely.  So you have answered your own question there.  

The key to adding more kills per run is to convert evasives into kills, the BnZing ponies / 190's etc etc. With the slowish top speed / fragile wings and low fuel capacity compared with other rides.  Most of my additional kills come from baiting the enemy.  Give them the advantage and encourage them to attack by flying lower and level.  Let them get within shooting distance 800 odd and then bust some reversals, if they continue turning with you they are dead.

In a Co-E 1 on 1 you can defeat anyone.  

Be aggressive against planes you have sound advantages over that are prepared to stick around and fight you.  Other spits, 109's, f4u's, niki's, la's etc.  

Gunnery I usually take shots between 300-200 with my cannon.  Usually deflection shots in the turn whilst gaining on the enemy con.  Avoid taking rear 6 shots on faster cons above 400.  Spray the 303's see if you can get them turning.

Have a wingman this game is 10 times easier with one  ;)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Stegahorse

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »
The trouble with Spits is that they fight very well at speeds near 170-200. They cannot run from most fighters though!
When you get in a fight you must be the last plane flying to make it home, most of the time. Furballs are almost always end in your death. :furious
I thought I was important until I got Cancer and had to go to a cancer clinic.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:43:36 AM »
The spit9 can run from a number of fighters, but you are right right it cannot always run away. The other side of it is if ANYbody tries to fight you, you're probably going to win, and when they're all dead you can rtb.

The Spit8 and Spit16, on the other hand, will match or run down most planes in the game. Even some planes that are "faster" top speeds will be run down because of extreme acceleration on the spits' part.

So saying "spits" are slow is wrong. The majority of all spits you'll see are quite fast. That majority is Spit8/16 (nearly identical flight models, few mph different and clipped wings on one)

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »
Bruv is dead on.  Keep to the basics that you've learned.  Learn to judge the proper time to execute the right move and the Spit 9 is a fantastic ride.  Manage your fuel and ammo wisely.  You don't have much to waste.  Keep your shots close and work your angles.  

It sounds like you are on the right track.  When you gain the advantage in a fight and be ready to "take the fight to them".  Any hesitation will end badly for you.  Fly with a wingman or squaddies and be ready to disengage when you've lost the advantage.

Best of luck to you.
Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:06:12 AM »
The spit9 can run from a number of fighters, but you are right right it cannot always run away. The other side of it is if ANYbody tries to fight you, you're probably going to win, and when they're all dead you can rtb.

The Spit8 and Spit16, on the other hand, will match or run down most planes in the game. Even some planes that are "faster" top speeds will be run down because of extreme acceleration on the spits' part.

So saying "spits" are slow is wrong. The majority of all spits you'll see are quite fast. That majority is Spit8/16 (nearly identical flight models, few mph different and clipped wings on one)

i didn't say slow,  i said slowISH. 

and yes the top speed on level flight is slow compared to the various other late war monsters.  How do i know this?   After a few turns with an experienced player they dive and run which is exactly what I would do if I saw someone skilled at the hands of a spit 9!

any plane appears quick when you dive in from the stratosphere.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
SA is pretty important in the MA if your thinking about returning home safely.  So you have answered your own question there.  

The key to adding more kills per run is to convert evasives into kills, the BnZing ponies / 190's etc etc. With the slowish top speed / fragile wings and low fuel capacity compared with other rides.  Most of my additional kills come from baiting the enemy.  Give them the advantage and encourage them to attack by flying lower and level.  Let them get within shooting distance 800 odd and then bust some reversals, if they continue turning with you they are dead.

In a Co-E 1 on 1 you can defeat anyone.  

Be aggressive against planes you have sound advantages over that are prepared to stick around and fight you.  Other spits, 109's, f4u's, niki's, la's etc.  

Gunnery I usually take shots between 300-200 with my cannon.  Usually deflection shots in the turn whilst gaining on the enemy con.  Avoid taking rear 6 shots on faster cons above 400.  Spray the 303's see if you can get them turning.

Have a wingman this game is 10 times easier with one  ;)

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 01:05:28 PM »
Don't hit any trees. Try to fly with at least as much ACM acumen as an adult chimpanzee. You should do fine.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Stegahorse

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
Spits are slow even in a dive. the point is that spits are knife fighters. they BnZ well but they turn fight much better. :airplane:
I thought I was important until I got Cancer and had to go to a cancer clinic.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
Spit9.. great plane.. easy mode!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »
I find the bnz planes EASIER to fly because the tactics involved are simplified.

Such planes as the Pee51.   ;)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »
Lets face it I suck in a spitfire, but i do fly the 9 sometime, it is very hard to get out of fights with in my experiances but practice makes perfect, learn from your mistakes maybe even take notes on it. You will have to die before you fly.
Strokes

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
How fast in the dive is the wing-ripping speed? Is it around 525?
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 05:28:59 PM »
I find the bnz planes EASIER to fly because the tactics involved are simplified.

Such planes as the Pee51.   ;)

It's a pwny.     :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »
.should have read bruv's post better before replying.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:47:52 PM by SPKmes »