Author Topic: Stick scaling  (Read 857 times)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
Stick scaling
« on: December 02, 2009, 01:29:33 AM »
Anyone have some good settings for the st290 pro?
i lost all mine when i deleted the game a while back.
My aim is horrid because my nose is wayyyyyyy too bouncy.

i would be grateful if ya did  :aok
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
Re: Stick scaling
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:28 AM »
look here -> http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,218269.msg2623654/topicseen.html#msg2623654

That helped me alot with my st290. I took the numbers from goober69´s post.

SF
‘CO2…makes the planet greener’

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »

Back when i was fairly new to the game, I experimented with scaling too, thinking it would make my nose-bounce issues go away.

But the way I use my controls, my nose-bounce issues go away when I get rid of scaling.  This is the third joystick (two Saiteks, but I don't remember the brand of the one I started with) that I've used these settings on, and had no issues.  When the stick starts to spike, it's due to worn out parts (in my case anyway), so I just take it back and exchange it. 

I flat-lined my scaling probably 5-6 years ago, and wouldn't go back.  But keep in mind that I fly with a very delicate hand.  To me, it's about fine-tuning my controls, which I can't do with the mushy-feeling (to me) scaling.  When my stick is scaled, and I need a small correction, I apply it with the stick but don't quite get it because the scaling gives me less throw than I applied...  In my case, that makes me give more control, and teaches me to give more than I need to get what I want.  Effectively, I feel it teaches me to over-control.  In a "stressful" condition, things get bad real quick, since not only am I yanking my nose all over the place trying to get my guns on, I'm killing my E in the process.

For my control style, I can't fly anywhere near as smoothly with a scaled stick, or shoot as well.  Well, for general just flying around stuff I can, but not when things start to get nasty and I need the plane to do exactly what I tell it to do...

If you fly ham-fisted, getting rid of scaling will probably be problematic.  Lots of people swear by different scaling strategies, and many of those guys are great sticks.  Scaling is obviously working for them.

I'm kind of old-school though.  IMO, if you fly ham-fisted, you should learn to stop!  Control yourself!  Camouflaging the problem with scaling doesn't make it go away. 

I'm not saying getting rid of scaling will work for you, but it might be worth a try.

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
what he said ^^^
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:15:15 PM »
Back when i was fairly new to the game, I experimented with scaling too, thinking it would make my nose-bounce issues go away.

But the way I use my controls, my nose-bounce issues go away when I get rid of scaling.  This is the third joystick (two Saiteks, but I don't remember the brand of the one I started with) that I've used these settings on, and had no issues.  When the stick starts to spike, it's due to worn out parts (in my case anyway), so I just take it back and exchange it.  

I flat-lined my scaling probably 5-6 years ago, and wouldn't go back.  But keep in mind that I fly with a very delicate hand.  To me, it's about fine-tuning my controls, which I can't do with the mushy-feeling (to me) scaling.  When my stick is scaled, and I need a small correction, I apply it with the stick but don't quite get it because the scaling gives me less throw than I applied...  In my case, that makes me give more control, and teaches me to give more than I need to get what I want.  Effectively, I feel it teaches me to over-control.  In a "stressful" condition, things get bad real quick, since not only am I yanking my nose all over the place trying to get my guns on, I'm killing my E in the process.

For my control style, I can't fly anywhere near as smoothly with a scaled stick, or shoot as well.  Well, for general just flying around stuff I can, but not when things start to get nasty and I need the plane to do exactly what I tell it to do...

If you fly ham-fisted, getting rid of scaling will probably be problematic.  Lots of people swear by different scaling strategies, and many of those guys are great sticks.  Scaling is obviously working for them.

I'm kind of old-school though.  IMO, if you fly ham-fisted, you should learn to stop!  Control yourself!  Camouflaging the problem with scaling doesn't make it go away.  

I'm not saying getting rid of scaling will work for you, but it might be worth a try.

ill give it a shot  :aok
anything is better than flying with hydro's.

R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
Bipolar,

if your getting nose bounce from the new stick it's likely from the yaw and pitch axises{axii}

some experimenting with the scaling for those 2 axis should all but eliminate the nose bounce,when I used a twist stick I used to dampen the pitch abit and some deadpan to enlarge the sticks centering for pitch and for yaw I moved the first 3or 4 sliders{on the left side} quite low so the initial rudder inputs were all but removed.This seemed to help me somewhat with the nose bounce.
 Now I use Mntman's scaling,all axis set to full,having rudder pedals allowed me to do that!

:salute

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »
Scaling is a balancing act.

Too much scaling can indeed cause nose bounce, too little and your stick can be too responsive to be able to fly with comfortably. However the opposite end of the spectrum can also cause nose bounce. Where you have a sensitive stick, and scaling maxed, any input can cause the plane to veer almost violently from where it was heading with the slightest touch.

As a general rule old wise hands with CH gear can often do without scaling, or have them set where Mtnman has.
Newer hands or more sensitive sticks take some scaling to dial down the input.
Mtnman is I believe the exception not the rule.  Most players probably do not have the control to be able to fly well with pitch scaled across the top on most sticks.

On the plus side, yes, that gives you the greatest amount of control possible.  But it leaves it all up to you, a single twitch of the stick too hard can cause you to stall and lose the fight.

On the negative side it can be very hard for a new pilot to learn to fly smoothly that way.
Almost impossible with some sticks I would say.

The right answer for most people, especially new pilots is going to lay somewhere in the middle.
Good stick + Good hands = aggressive upward curve.

= = = = = = = = =
   = 
=

Twitchy stick + new hands = progressive low curve
              =
            =
         =
     =
=

Whats right for you only you can say.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
using scaling does not lower handling performance or sensitivity.
good control does not mean having a 1:1 deflection.

in a perfect setup you would have a joystick with way more throw more like the actual thing. because our toy joysticks are scaled down the tiny movements have large results. you can compensate by using scaling and it will smooth out the low end joystick deflection. you want very smooth movements when you're making your small adjustments in gunnery while having full range of control(and that's why there is scaling). scaling ailerons is helpful too though some people think you roll faster with it at 1:1. you may start the roll faster by nanoseconds but control or lack thereof is the result.

my scaling starts with a shallow parabola and halfway through goes linear. no deadzone and very minimal dampening. and yes, mtnman does have delicate hands.
Squash

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »
is there one for siatek x45
Oaktree

56th Fighter group