Author Topic: Playing tank war  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: Playing tank war
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
Didn't know there was bad weather at Kursk...  ;)
Well, no one ever accussed Hitler of being smart.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »
its not about superiority it's about planes don't need the icons to begin with.
As long as GV's don't Get to see AC icons.
See Rule #4

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 05:13:51 PM »
As long as GV's don't Get to see AC icons.

I'd take that trade!

Whilst the motives of the original post may be suspect
IMO it would be neat if

Gv icons were totally obscurred at least when they were under cover. I would be happy if they kicked up more dust when on the move. or if they could "dig in" below obscuring camo nets provided this delayed subsequent return to motion.

When choosing "bomber" Bombing could only occur in F6 after a delay of 1 sec in the bomb aimer seat.
When choosing "attack" formations are disabled but pilot may bomb.
Some ac become "attack" only (Il2, A20, D3a) etc
Ludere Vincere

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »
I'd take that trade!

Whilst the motives of the original post may be suspect
IMO it would be neat if

Gv icons were totally obscurred at least when they were under cover. I would be happy if they kicked up more dust when on the move. or if they could "dig in" below obscuring camo nets provided this delayed subsequent return to motion.

When choosing "bomber" Bombing could only occur in F6 after a delay of 1 sec in the bomb aimer seat.
When choosing "attack" formations are disabled but pilot may bomb.
Some ac become "attack" only (Il2, A20, D3a) etc

What you're saying makes sense, but the spawn camping potential will get abused if they were "dug in".

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
REMEMBER take notes. read properly. AKAK does not gv. he is a noob when it comes to gvs :salute oh and anything you say can and will be used against your word according to akak law, oh and AKAK wins no matter what your a loser we all are AKAK winner!! :salute

Actually my little ankle humping eskimo friend, I've played this game for about 8 years longer than you have and in that time, I've probably spent more time in GVs than you've had in the time you've been playing.  I just find that portion of the game no longer holds my interest and the main reason I started playing flight sims was for the flying aspects of the game.  Which by the way, is another area where I excel far more better than you'll ever hope to fair in.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dirtydog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
82nd FG Homepage

Dirtydog- 82nd Fighter Group
~97th Fighter Squadron~

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
Well, no one ever accussed Hitler of being smart.

Yup, he should have started that battle in the autumn, when the weather is bad... and all the mud makes tank battles impossible anyway  :lol
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
My experience has been those who bomb GV's typically wont do supply runs. So kill the ord! On some of the TT maps it will be the first thing I will do :aok

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »
To Rich, you upping a hurri2d to strafe tanks isn't anymore dweeby than me upping an IL2 to ho fighters.  And if anyone wants to ho my sherman in a fighter you 're more than welcome.  :angel:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:17:13 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 02:02:31 AM »
 :huh you go  :airplane: :joystick: :O BOOOOOOM  :mad: last time we met in the air
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 04:16:17 AM »
What you're saying makes sense, but the spawn camping potential will get abused if they were "dug in".

Agreed it would be neat if an additional solution was found to spawn camping................

Re Kursk and Hitlers folly?

Blitzkrieg re quired close air support of attacking ground units as well as air support attritting local logistics and communications. The standard Whermacht operandi required good weather!

Read Battle of France, Barbarossa, Various Battles leading upto Stalingrad, Kursk and plenty of others on the Allies side once the importance of combined air and ground assault was taken to the level that the Germans ahd developed in 1940.

It's Bulge which is the exception. The LW is decimated and there is a last ditch hope to cut thru the Ardennes forest, break out thru the Belgium plain and achieve Antwerp to cut Montgomery off in Holland. The fog was a bonus.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:23 AM »
To Rich, you upping a hurri2d to strafe tanks isn't anymore dweeby than me upping an IL2 to ho fighters.  And if anyone wants to ho my sherman in a fighter you 're more than welcome.  :angel:

I dont "strafe" tanks in Hurri-Ds. I precisely place 2 to 4 rounds into the weak top armor, wheel around, and if needed shoot another 2, "again from point blank". I bet I use fewer cannon rounds to kill tanks then other tanks use to kill tanks. The Hurri only carrys 30 rounds so you can no more "strafe" then they did in real life.

Glad we cleared that up. I dont even "strafe" in IL2s.

Funny but most times I see B-24s or Lancs working tanks they also shoot their MG package at the tank too. Now thats strafing. :lol
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »
Re Kursk and Hitlers folly?

Blitzkrieg re quired close air support of attacking ground units as well as air support attritting local logistics and communications. The standard Whermacht operandi required good weather!

The folly was (among other things) in imagining he still had air superiority.

Where and when the Luftwaffe was able to achieve local superiority, the Soviet tankers paid dearly.

The Allies should have awarded Goering a WW2 Victory Medal, before sentencing him to hang. If Hitler had learned after September 1940 not to listen to a word the fat man said, the war might have come out differently, or at least taken longer and been harder and more costly for the Allies.