Author Topic: Playing tank war  (Read 1853 times)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: Playing tank war
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 02:51:46 PM »
I never understood why they never restricted heavy bombers to f6 mode and or angle limits consistent to their real life counterparts.  It's one of the most gaming the game type things that take away from believability.  What other part of the game is more x-box than exterior mode take off and suicide dropping your full load at low level?

I have been saying for  5 or 6 years heavy bombers should be restricted to only dropping from F6 view......good luck with that.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Whilst tanking tanks cannot see other tank icons, therefore ariplanes should have the same disadvantage when facing ground verhicles.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
I have been saying for  5 or 6 years heavy bombers should be restricted to only dropping from F6 view......good luck with that.

I concur, this is the best solution.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »
The great circle of the spawn battle!

Tank1 shoots Tank2

Tank2 get bombs (2 sectors away if needed) and bombs Tank1

Tank1 ups a Wirblewind and shoots Tank2 down

Tank2 ups a tank and shoot Tank1

Tank1 ups a tank and shot Tank2

PS I agree with Lynx too
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
Whilst tanking tanks cannot see other tank icons, therefore ariplanes should have the same disadvantage when facing ground verhicles.

why should planes have the same visible disadvantages that tanks have?  It's a given fact that planes have better visibility and can spot things easier from the sky than what a tanker could spot on the ground.  Even with icons at a reduced range won't stop the ability of planes being able to spot a GV in from the air beyond icon range.  There is nothing wrong game wise or historically accurate with the ability of planes being able to spot GVs as easy as they do.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
Airplanes have icons so friendly fire doesn't occur, airplanes don't need icons for enemy gv because they argent going to collide with them.  There's no reason as to why airplanes need enemy tank icons.  Yes airplanes can spot gv's without an icon, but why give them any advantages? 

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »
Airplanes have icons so friendly fire doesn't occur, airplanes don't need icons for enemy gv because they argent going to collide with them.  There's no reason as to why airplanes need enemy tank icons.  Yes airplanes can spot gv's without an icon, but why give them any advantages? 

Is it really that much of an advantage to the pilot if he's already spotted you from well outside of icon range?

ack-ack 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »
REMEMBER take notes. read properly. AKAK does not gv. he is a noob when it comes to gvs :salute oh and anything you say can and will be used against your word according to akak law, oh and AKAK wins no matter what your a loser we all are AKAK winner!! :salute
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 04:27:38 PM »
REMEMBER take notes. read properly. AKAK does not gv. he is a noob when it comes to gvs :salute oh and anything you say can and will be used against your word according to akak law, oh and AKAK wins no matter what your a loser we all are AKAK winner!! :salute
:huh

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »
Actually the point I was making is that the rules are skewed against the tanks no matter how one kills them. Getting rid of the icons would make things more fair. It would make killing them "my way" harder too, but Im OK with that. Try it for a month in a MA and I bet it would work out fine.

The rules aren't skewed against the tanks. I'd bet the ratio of planes killing tanks to tanks killing planes is lower than in the war.

It's been pointed out here before that the main thing skewed against tanks compared to the real world is that planes are free and their numbers unlimited. In WW2 dollars a Sherman cost about $35k, a P-51D around $50k, and a B-17 in the ballpark of $250k - and on top of that there's the much higher cost and time to train pilots as opposed to tank drivers, and the relative difficulty of ramping up production. In the game all of them cost exactly the same thing, a few minutes of a player's time. All of that meant there were fewer planes relative to GVs and they were generally used more conservatively. (There's also doctrine - if the Brits had had 5,000 Lancs and the Germans no effective AAA there still wouldn't have been any circling over battlefields looking for tanks to kill because Harris would have had every last one bombing cities.)

I do hate to see Lancstukas. I'm all for bombing only in f6, or getting rid of f3 in flight altogether. Bombing in general should be more difficult, and I say that as someone who flies buffs a fair amount.

As for icons, I imaine they have as much to do with the inherent limitations of monitors as they do with friendly fire. Otherwise why do they show plane type? You can zoom a GV view in to ID just about anything within gun range, but in a plane your vision is much less distinct than IRL.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »

I'm sorry but two very relevant facts stand out here...

#1. There are only two types of planes, fighters and targets
#2. If your in a tank your not in the 1st

So if you elect to play in the mud you are nothing but a target to a guy in the clouds. This is simply the natural order of things....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »
Airplanes have icons so friendly fire doesn't occur, airplanes don't need icons for enemy gv because they argent going to collide with them.  There's no reason as to why airplanes need enemy tank icons.  Yes airplanes can spot gv's without an icon, but why give them any advantages?  

Probably because they are in the air and have the advantage to start with.

Maybe HT could setup a gv only arena.

<edit>
Though of a great idea..... EW has few players. Bet the GV'ers could get a good battle going in there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:40:38 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
Umm... What happens to tanks when the enemy has air superiority? Oh yeah that's right, they get bombed. That's why all major tank conflicts occurred in WW2 when there was weather preventing the allied use of air superiority.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »
its not about superiority it's about planes don't need the icons to begin with.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »
That's why all major tank conflicts occurred in WW2 when there was weather preventing the allied use of air superiority.

Didn't know there was bad weather at Kursk...  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman