Author Topic: New cities look fantastic  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: New cities look fantastic
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2009, 02:00:33 PM »
question for HT

does the city / strat move back to where it was if the fields are re-captured?
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
GuyNoir, No I do not see GV play in the complex, simply because of the milking of strat targets the GV's could do.

But using the same objects there could be other cities added with no strategic value for GV's to play in.

HiTech

This would be a perfect idea HiTech! If we had these large clusters of buildings around say a port or even between two bases It would really break up the endless greenery and add to the immersion.

Can I get a + 1 forum?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:34:48 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2009, 02:41:38 PM »
+1
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »
This would be a perfect idea HiTech! If we had these large clusters of buildings around say a port or even between two bases It would really break up the endless greenery and add to the immersion.

Can I get a + 1 forum?

I think it'd be great to have smaller towns and villages too (along with connecting roads and features)...  It'd really make our three 'countries' feel a lot more like living countries than just a series of interconnected airbases.   :cheers:

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
A village and a city tile  (built into terrains just like farm, forest etc. tiles) would be interesting....

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »
I might suggest, instead of tank spawns into strats (that's just setting up for milk runners, IMO) that a non-aligned chuck of "city" be placed in a couple places on the map, to foster GV battles, but without the strats, without the ack towers, like current tank town city clusters do (but larger!)

*whistles innocently*

Offline kotrenin

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2009, 03:52:05 PM »

Can I get a + 1 forum?

+ 1
He's a lover, not a fighter... but he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8  http://one_foggy.tripod.com/sounds/afu_jokeson.wav

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »

*whistles innocently*
He did something bad! :lol

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
  have to agree here HT, I was on yesterday and the rooks city had moved back but it was just so far back that it would have been next to impossible to even get close to the thing.   I does start in a great spot just far enough back to stop the casual score padding and the defenders easily have enough time to get up to defend.   Maybe a 3 stage hop would be a little better, depending on the map of course.

Overall I have to say I really like this, for the first time in months I actually got out of bed and felt like flying the sky's of AH with a big cup of coffee in hand. :)   Good job HTC

The system is written to be able to take more than 2 cities per country, some terrains are different than others, will give it a few weeks and see which ones need changing.

HiTech

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »
On Baltic map (small) the possible attacks on Cities seem to be quite much like possible HQ raids. They do not happen too often. Thus tonight seemed like there were just fewer bombing targets available, which meant (for me) fever bombers around to shoot down. Maybe it all changes when people get accustomed to it.

Still, I have slightly wondered what has been the motivation or problem behind this change... or what is it aiming to achieve? Has it been mentioned somewhere that I have missed?
- less strat porking?
- attracting larger raids?
- less GVs at strats?
- a different effect on base resources?
- something else?

The concept of a beamed (Star Trek) city also seems a bit off genre. Maybe I'd rather see the front line city completely destroyed at the time of evacuation, and only its properties getting transferred to rear line city. Also, what is the meaning of the suburbs, if they cannot be bombed and if GVs cannot go there to fight? Just eye candy?... which looks much like rocky desert from high up.

I'd like to add, that I am not against it. Usually any change is a good change. I'm just still confused and getting accustomed to the new concept  :rolleyes:

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
Yes, eye candy, and I love it!  Those HTC guys must like their eye candy too because they still let the Wednesday Babe fly.  :aok

Looks like city to me though, even from 30k.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
The system is written to be able to take more than 2 cities per country, some terrains are different than others, will give it a few weeks and see which ones need changing.

HiTech

Lookin' forward to it. :)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I have a proposal that could mix both approaches with not too much hassle - at least I do believe that ;)

First let me say: I do like the new mega strats, both from a visual point of view (pun intended ;)) as well as gameplay. It's a very nice target for long range high altitude bombing runs, and  that's what i was largely missing: Truely high alt combat (where high isn't the furballers 10k "high" :p) where it's no just 2 alt-monkeys meeting with one immediately diving for the deck.

That beings said, I see a few  problems? issues? points? (not sure how to word it)

- On small maps, the strat target is in 163 range all the time, which make any attacks on them largely suicidal. Other than that, there are only airfields to attack
- On large maps, it's apparently the same once the strat has moved one time.
- Due to the singular nature of those targets, there is never any doubt where this darbar that is slowly moving sector for sector is moving to. Great for the defenders (like me), but I wouldn't mind a little more uncertainty

So why don't we retain a vestige of the old zone system? We have all those places left where once the factories had been located. Put there some railyards!

Make them having a small effect on resupply times in their respective zones... nothing big, the strat target should still be much more valuable, both in effect on a country as well as score.

That way,
- we do have a little more variation while retaining the big important target (Not only "attack the frontline or Berlin")
- we are having something to bomb other than base hangars when someone doesn't feel to fly 2 hours (It'S absolutely suicidal to attack the current main strat at any altitude under 10-25k), also it's a more appropriate target for medium bombers
- we are introducing another part of WWII air campaign: Attacks on railyards/transportation systems
- we are finally giving that kind of "goals" back to those maps, where long strings of Vbases eventually ended with a spawn to such places.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:19:19 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
I absolutely doubt this. Most players will never bother to climb to 30k for 15mins to defend that area, and Spit drivers in particular aren't very patient or determined anyway...

Didnt you play AW?

To be clear I dont really see it happening here. primarily because it hasnt already been done here yet. And I think if it was going to be here it would have been already.

But people defended the spit factory. And the howls and cries of the spit drivers loosing their tricycles with training wheels for 15 minutes like babies separated from their binkies was priceless.  :aok :aok
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
Lusche, You nailed it. I love your new factory symbols. I dont like the clutter at the city now.

I love the high alt fighting. Spit14, P47M, Ta152 all love it up there. New cities changed the game play for the better. I love it :aok