Author Topic: Any advice for getting back into the groove?  (Read 664 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Any advice for getting back into the groove?
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »
About 3 months ago, my gaming computer took a major crap...  Pretty much DOA.  Well, real life concerns prevented me from replacing it until very recently.  Well, I now have a brand spanking new machine, built by our good friend TilDeath (photos and system info coming soon to a Hardware section near you) .  

So anyway, I logged into the MA for the first time in about 3 months today.  Man am I Rusty Von Rustyberg!  I wasn't very good to start, but I really suck now (again)!

I'm wondering if any of the Vets have any advice on their preferred method for getting their mojo back after a long absence from Aces High?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Any advice for getting back into the groove?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:45:02 PM »
I've been going through a bit of a slump lately myself, when that happens I can usually reset myself somewhat by spending some time in the TA or DA doing some 1v1 work.  In that situation you can fully concentrate on what you should be doing and how you should be doing it without having any other SA concerns.  Usually helps me get back in the swing of things somewhat.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:31:22 AM »
I was on a 4 month break because of a busy work schedule.  Just started getting back to flying again.  All I can say was that the first week has been embarassing for me.  Augering, overshooting, loosing cons because of bad SA, and just terrible trigger discipline. 

In my situation, I can only fly a few hours a week.  Mostly I fly about 30-40 hours a month.  So I've flown about 10 hours since my break and I'm beginning to feel more comfortable.  My only suggestion I can offer is just get back into the cocpit and fly.  Patience, it'll all come back to you again. 

Welcome back. :aok
Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:09:17 AM »
My advice would be to go to the DA furball area. Despite the terrible fights constant ho attempts and gangs, it is actually really good practice and doesn't even count if you suck in there.  :)  This will get you prepared for the main arenas because it is instant action (as instant action as AH will ever get)  :aok

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:43:02 AM »
I recomend you totally forget about score and just immerse into the game for a month, shooting a lot of video. Fly often and with all kinds of aircraft.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:11:46 AM »
Welcome back! I went on a 3 month hiatus last year because of computer problems too.  I found that getting back in the saddle was just a matter of getting in the saddle.  I think the biggest challenge I had was getting my "sight picture" back again.  I was shooting to short and needed to recalibrate lead.  Everything else just kinda slipped back into place.  I spent a little time in the offline arena shooting at drones and then going to the TA and turning on the lead sight engine on moving targets.

Good luck!
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
I'd fly a spit IX exclusively for a few days, just to get yr feel for SA, gunnery and allround skills back, then a BnZer like a pony, then a TnBer like a Zero. ie work on general stuff first in something thats good but not uber at everything, then remind yourself of the different fighting styles by flying planes that are heavily biased in different areas of fighting. :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »
Just think how I feel , I took  2 year's off . Been back a month now and just now getting where I can hit .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
I'd fly a spit IX exclusively for a few days, just to get yr feel for SA, gunnery and allround skills back, then a BnZer like a pony, then a TnBer like a Zero. ie work on general stuff first in something thats good but not uber at everything, then remind yourself of the different fighting styles by flying planes that are heavily biased in different areas of fighting. :)

Actually this is pretty good advice,using a relatively easy plane to start and changing to a plane that forces a certain style of flying will force you to adapt.
 Tho nothing beats seat time and plenty of it,TA or DA time will pay off in the mains.Go to the TA and turn on the LCG to help you get an idea where you should be shooting,working on stall recoveries,some 1v1 stall fighting should all help you get back as quick as possible.

:salute

PS: welcome back!