Author Topic: SASFRAS Terrain......  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: SASFRAS Terrain......
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »
That thought had occurred to me, however that is up to JVNotch ultimately.  Even if I put bigger courses in anyway it would be his decision to use them. I know one of his main goals is a 2:30-3:00 course time. The collision issue has been fixed for next iteration, forgot to to add the tag.

The RV-8 with WEP and Gatlings would be fun, if you got to fast you could always blast everything in your path!

:devil

Strip

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
Hi

I was trying to improve my lap time... Seriously  :mad:

No matter of what,  I could not get anywhere close to the Strip's 2:21 lap time.

See, I try to find an excuse for my lousy flying and of course blame the ruling :-))

Ok, seriously
I was flying according to following 'rules'

The white text means a common attitude, no matter the direction.
The KE-R/L means a Knife-Edge flying attitude to given direction, while passing the air-gate.

Strip, are we in same ball park with the flying rules?

(edit)
I almost forget the RBAR motivational film ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUORTnABK4&NR=1
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:24:59 PM by Ex-jazz »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 05:30:36 PM »
Well, we are for the most part but I was not doing the half cuban 8 right. You could probably add a few seconds there, I was just looping through and turning around. A good lap time will probably be in the 2:25-2:27 range, that's flying very well though. I will sit down tonight and really see what I can do running it correctly. Just picked up a new race car and havent had much free time lately.

Remember though AHXARL has given me a lot of time flying the RV-8 compared to the average AH'er. I have learned to dampen and decrease the roll rate starting out. This lets me adapt to the roll rate and slowly get back to full input. I even do the same with elevation, also, use absolutely no damping. Or at the very least use the least amount possible, it drastically increases the tendency to over control the plane.

Tune back in tomorrow for a lap time following the gates properly.....will post film so the curious can see what I am doing.

Strip

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 05:40:44 PM »
Well, we are for the most part but I was not doing the half cuban 8 right. You could probably add a few seconds there, I was just looping through and turning around. A good lap time will probably be in the 2:25-2:27 range, that's flying very well though. I will sit down tonight and really see what I can do running it correctly. Just picked up a new race car and havent had much free time lately.

Remember though AHXARL has given me a lot of time flying the RV-8 compared to the average AH'er. I have learned to dampen and decrease the roll rate starting out. This lets me adapt to the roll rate and slowly get back to full input. I even do the same with elevation, also, use absolutely no damping. Or at the very least use the least amount possible, it drastically increases the tendency to over control the plane.

Tune back in tomorrow for a lap time following the gates properly.....will post film so the curious can see what I am doing.

Strip

Thanks for the feedback

It's true, I'm very very seasonal RV-8 flyer and that's probably the biggest reason for my lap time.

You must sneeze every sec off in every turn there. WTG!

But..

I feel the challenge in the air...  :devil

Offline JonDoe999

• Copper Member
      • YouTube - EpicAces's Channel
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »
This is something I learned off this game... PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. :aok :) ;) :D :cool: One day you will trust me. :cool: :pray :angel: You will one day. Just hope. :cheers: :banana: :airplane: Hope you will, sir! :salute
I ate so much sugar Hallowen night, I gave myself diabetes and gave everyone related to me second- hand diabetes.

:-)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Okay I am calling an audible, on the half cuban 8 I have found we are doing it wrong. I have done a fair bit of research and found that Redbull Air Racing never goes through the same gate twice in a row. For a couple of reasons, safety (not a big concern here but still) and speed, or lack of it after executing such a maneuver.

For now lets just go through the Half Cuban 8 cone and loop back over with out passing through it again.

Will post film soon, working a bit of rust and dust off the controls, okay okay, its the pilot.

:D

Strip

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »
Here is a fairly representative run for me, right around 2:24 flying the Cuban 8 as mentioned above. There was some questionable knife edging through a few gates but it was close. Part of the problem is the RV-8's ailerons get sluggish (comparatively speaking) below 160 mph or so. This leads me to over or under turn as I am not quite synced with the plane yet.

Here is the run...

http://www.esnips.com/doc/9be16754-7b72-41cc-87c7-914a0d974597/redbull

This is the terrain...

http://www.esnips.com/doc/cc12195a-fe63-4bc0-81d4-f877263587bb/sasfras

I posted both just incase someone would like to view it or you have a older version. The trick with knife edging is to get the right amount of rudder input. From wings level I will rudder into the direction of roll. Once a good roll rate is established I will kick opposite rudder to keep nose above horizon. It might not be the fastest or the best but might give you a start. Its very hard at times, through the flat turn area I am greyed out. Keeping an eye on everything through a few inches of screen is my biggest challenge. That and the fact that the RV-8 is about as delicate on the controls as my girlfriend. I have learned not to push either!

Strip

Offline JonDoe999

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
I just saw one mistake and that was a jack knife. Other than that, good job!!! :aok
I ate so much sugar Hallowen night, I gave myself diabetes and gave everyone related to me second- hand diabetes.

Offline Ex-jazz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009, 04:20:07 PM »
Thank you for the film, Strip.

That was a precise and smooth flying, compared to my see sawing style. WTG

I found a fundamental reason for my slow flying... A 1700RPM instead of the 2700RPM:o It's visible, if compare the films.

I forgot, I was playing with my HOTAS settings sometime ago. Oh my...  :rofl

During the holidays will give another try  :aok

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
Yes, full throttle is a good idea!

Have fun, stay safe and enjoy your Christmas sir!

<S>

Strip

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline JonDoe999

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2010, 10:27:46 AM »
Who ever wants to make the RV-8 look  :cool: here's some instructions...

Here is the skin...http://ah-skins.com/skins/fighters.html Save it to your skins folder because it makes life easier on you and me!!!

If you don't have the RV-8, type this into the radio in the game...".showrv". DON'T PUT THE QUOTES AROUND!!!
Then go into your hanger, select the RV-8, right click, "Save defult skin", get out of the game, go to your skins folder, make a new folder called "rv8_1", un-zip the folder you just downloaded a couple of minutes ago, put everything in the folder in the zip into your "rv8_1" folder, and boom, you got yourself a cool RV-8 for the SASFRAS Races!!!

Any questions about the skin, PM me and I'll try to get bck to you ASAP!!! JonDoe999, out :salute  :airplane:

Here's some two other race tracks desinged by Ex-Jazz, too... http://fdm4bge.1g.fi/Files/10001/AH/Terrains/

Would this post be onsidered hi-jacking or helping? :headscratch:

Also, is this going to be updated anytime soon? :headscratch:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:38:51 AM by JonDoe999 »

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
Hey strip I dont mean to be a 999 but when I try to use the sasafras offline I get CTD .... I dont know why but I installed into my terrains file and everytime I go to use it, BOOOM right to desktop!!!
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline JonDoe999

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2010, 06:50:39 AM »
What is a CTD?!  Ignoring comment before.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »
Ctd = crash to desktop
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail