Author Topic: Well, We Tried, We Bombed, and We Died :-)  (Read 2835 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Well, We Tried, We Bombed, and We Died :-)
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
Tried it, wasted an hour+ climbing and driving to the new city. Bombed only to find afterwards the suburbs were non destructible. Shot down 2 fighters, eventually lost all 3 lancs.

I can say that I could have had way better ways to spend that hour+ time by furballing. Last sortie I'll make.

actually, it says in the update info page that the suburbs aren't bombable.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:29 PM »
I went to 16k with my friend and found out that there arent individual objects but city blocks that are bombable.
Strokes

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
Cap thats the way it usualy is, you wont see that many prop driven planes up high, mostly 262's , personally theres to many 262's in this game,(wouldnt hurt my feeling to remove them) And i know they werent that plentiful IRL.

that also is part of why i asked my original question.

knowing they weren't very common in real life, and so many in here want realism, i was wondering if there should be some way to limit them.

gonna duck now...... :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
If they (262s) keep coming to 30k they will limit themselves. 262s suck at that altitude and their only real option against level bombers at that altitude is the HO pass which usually leave them damaged with one kill or dead with none. As for the rest of the planes they eventually end up to the rear of the bombers and try to climb into the six position.

I dont think grouping up from different sectors at a rendezvous point is going to make much difference. Most of the cons we encountered launched after a rendezvous would have been made anyway. The problem planes were the 152s and P-47Ms over the target. I think what needs to happen is fuel porking and radar porking before the mission even launches but its a logistics nightmare to try and coordinate that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
If they (262s) keep coming to 30k they will limit themselves. 262s suck at that altitude and their only real option against level bombers at that altitude is the HO pass which usually leave them damaged with one kill or dead with none. As for the rest of the planes they eventually end up to the rear of the bombers and try to climb into the six position.

I dont think grouping up from different sectors at a rendezvous point is going to make much difference. Most of the cons we encountered launched after a rendezvous would have been made anyway. The problem planes were the 152s and P-47Ms over the target. I think what needs to happen is fuel porking and radar porking before the mission even launches but its a logistics nightmare to try and coordinate that.

aahh.....understood.

amazingly, it's starting to sound like these missions need to be planned, much the same as they did in rl.

this is starting to sound more and more fun.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
On the 262 issue, the 262s cost perks and B-17s do not.  As long as the "average" 262 cannot earn enough perks to replace its self in B-17 kills, then the number of 262 flying against B-17s should go down once the perks run out.  So what you have here is a war of attrition.  On one side you have a big pile of fighter perks that have accumulated over the years, and on the other side you have the patience of the bomber guys to fly for hours with little chance of surviving.

I would think that if someone (Lushe?) where really interested and had the time, they could check to see how many B-17s where killed by 262s and the number of 262s killed by B-17s; then, based on average perk costs, determine if the 262s killed enough B-17s to cover their losses.  If the 262s are covering their losses, then the number of 262s the B-17s are seeing today will either stay the same or go up.  If the 262s are not covering their losses then the number should go down once the perks run out.

If it weren't for the cartoon airplanes it would almost be real.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
No I posted an experience I had.

You are being nancy.  :D

I quoted the wrong post in my first one.  This was the one I intended to quote.
So you are still a negative nancy.

:neener:

Nancy, Nancy, reads Tom Clancy! :neener:
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
Sorry I missed it. Kudus to anyone energizing the bomber war. :aok
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »
I would think that if someone (Lushe?) where really interested and had the time, they could check to see how many B-17s where killed by 262s and the number of 262s killed by B-17s; then, based on average perk costs, determine if the 262s killed enough B-17s to cover their losses.  

Almost no one in game is able to fly the 262 in a way that the perks gained by kills are covering the perks lost by the inevitable loss of a 262. At average multiplier, you need to kill 800 B-17's to make up for the loss of a single 262.

However, there are other, much better ways to get perks for the 262 (furballing in high eny planes like 109's)., my own gross fighter perk gain is ~1000 per month.

All in all, there is not really a war of attrition, as that would imply a large group of players implementing a long-term strategy on a large scale in the MA, no matter how little "fun" it may seme to be for a few months.
Getting the "other side" simply running out of perks for 262's and 163's simply won't happen.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »
That looked fun. Trying to get my squad to do one!
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »
Ah, if I was on I would have definitely participated in this.  Looks like fun.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »
you don't have to worry about me way up there.  :neener:

Thats because your B38 will fall apart before it even gets to that alt... :noid :bolt:
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »
I spent the entire time the raid was feet dry until it hit the target climbing 5,000 yards to their 3oc in my 190A8. Two 262s hit the formation. One buzzed through and set one on fire, then aborted. Another punched straight through the center head on, lighting two and outright destroying one.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »
No way Shuff, can't agree there! This is as real as it gets outside of FSO and scenarios. There is place called the DA for 1 on 1 fights and furballs 24/7, you should get in there more often.

Great fun.

Realism in the MAs will kill AH. Reality was hours upon hours of pure unabated boredom followed by shear excitement for short periods. That is not what most people look for in a flight combat game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
That is not what most people look for in a flight combat game.

That is not what most people look for in a flight combat game. Maybe.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.