Author Topic: Object Drawing Distance Problem....  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Object Drawing Distance Problem....
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
Let me give you a little bit of background about the object itself. I have created an aircone for racing purposes using a single LOD. The cone itself is drawn in five parts, round top and four sections. The base is six sided rectangle, all are merged to form a single object.

The first few lines of my object now read like this.....

AC3Db
MATERIAL "ac3dmat1" rgb 1 1 1  amb 0.2 0.2 0.2  emis 0 0 0  spec 0.2 0.2 0.2  shi 128  trans 0
OBJECT world
kids 1
OBJECT group
name "model"
data 13
MaxDist=12000
kids 1
OBJECT group
name "objects"
data 13
MaxDist=12000
kids 1
OBJECT group
name "str0"
data 13
MaxDist=12000
kids 1
OBJECT object
name "o290"
data 13
MaxDist=12000
loc 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
texture "SNGLRED.bmp"
crease 45.000000
numvert 298

I am at my whits end with this, well not quite but its getting rather old. The problem is when the object is drawn it does so in portions. Base, top portion of cone, middle sections and finally the rounded top. If you zoom in it works very well with the entire object being drawn. As you get extremely far out it again drops out in stages when zoomed. Changing the MaxDist=12000 has no effect on drawing distance. I am hesitant to continue simply for fear of having a major flaw in my process. However, I dont feel this is the case, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Strip

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Re: Object Drawing Distance Problem....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »
Where does the problem occur? In OE, TE or in game?
What have you defined it as in OE or in TE? Is it clutter? Is it still str like the name suggests?

Are the origos of all object parts in same place? 0,0,0?

Why does it have to be divided into separate pieces? Or is it? You said it is merged?

Want to send it (the shp) to me? (my call sign @hitechcreations.com) I could take a look. I've built a few custom objects previously.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »
Thanks Blauk, I was hoping you would pop in here.

It occurs in game, in the TE and OE I cant really make out what they are doing. The object has been placed as a FH, runway, ammo bunker, and more with seemingly little effect?

The objected is merged and the center is 0,53,0 or something close to that. I have to bring the object up 53 feet in the TE to get it sitting right. Just in case I went back and change the centers on the AC3d file I sent you. It appears to fix my Z height issue but did not affect the drawing. The object built in separate pieces because its not a perfect cone, they are merged and welded. ( In AC3D welded means deleting unneeded vertices, are you familiar with that software?)

I sent an .shp, a res file for the terrain and the AC3d file with texture to your email.

(Let me know if you didn't get it...)

Thanks again,
Strip

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »
It seems it was about SmallCulling... or/and about PolyID tags. In any case, it works ok now. I mailed you the ac3d file.

Nice looking object btw.  :aok

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »
Thanks a bunch Blauk....

When you placed it in the TE what type of object did you place it as?

Appreciate the compliments btw!

Strip

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »
I think it was "VOID"... the default. I did not change it.

And I forgot, I changed all polygons in that ac3d file as 1-sided. No need to render the insides. The normals were all ok, pointing outwards.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:45:30 PM by BlauK »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
I dont think "VOID" objects are allowed in MA terrains, not sure SEA stuff tho, will have to research that hopefully either way it wont be an issue.

I wondered about the 2-sided verses 1-sided but didn't know enough about it, will try that  more often from now on.

Thanks again,
Strip

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
In the Ac3d help file it lists DoNotCull=1 while you have entered DoNotSmallCull=1.

Are they separate functions or did something get changed and the help file was not updated?

Strip

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 02:11:46 AM »
I have not seen any mention about VOID class not being allowed at MA, but you could just as well assign them e.g. as Structure.

In the older version of OE and in its help file (ac3d.txt ,y.2005) it is "DoNotSmallCull=1". That is how it has always been. I cannot right now check if that text has changed with the newest OE... and whether the function or tag really has changed or if it is just a typo.  :huh

Anyways, I converted that object in the new OE and also built a test map in new TE.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 05:53:19 AM »
I was reading one of the stickied "MA Terrain" threads and I saw void mentioned. If it doesnt effect anything I will probably do as you mentioned and place them as structures.

Nevermind on the DoNotSmallCull, apparently my memory was wrong.

Thanks for the help again.....

Strip

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:20:48 AM »
cc, no problem  :aok

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:04:11 AM »
I believe that Void is used like a flag to detect objects with unassigned types, for error checking. It is "No type", and as all objects should have a behavior type, it wouldn't be allowed on the server because each object must have a behavior. Offline, the type would be ignored. Whether I'm right, only the gods at htc know, but don't leave it as Void.

The default type for the object is set with the polyID, but in the OE, you could set it as Clutter, Barrier, Structure or Bombable etc. depending on what you want the behavior to be.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »
Default type also can be set by selecting a proper name for the object in ac3d, right? Like "str0", "amb2", etc. Then it can be over ridden in OE or in TE.

AFAIK, PolyID:s are used for special functionality, like rearming, water, dirt, rwy, road or train track, for certain objects on the whole model. The other PolyID:s do not seem to be necessary.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:38:23 AM »
Yes, I think you must be right about that.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »
Blauk,
I believe your correct, the Ac3d help file suggests STR0 as a base setting for most objects. This means the object has no special properties or attributes associated with them. Then it goes on to mention that it can be overridden in the TE. The reverse would seem to be true as well,an amb2 could be redefined as a str0, as I read it anyway.

Easyscor,
That makes sense, in the future I will not use void as final setting.

I know I am sort of getting next level with this terrain project, the pool of experience to draw from is getting smaller.

Its little things like this that I am most grateful for help on...

Strip