Author Topic: Dead GVs and Planes  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Panzerace

• Zinc Member
Dead GVs and Planes
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:56:57 AM »
How about some burnt out, crashed and blown up planes and tanks that came be used to for cover by tanks?  :airplane:
“No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country.” GSP

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
Re: Dead GVs and Planes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:20:35 AM »
How about some burnt out, crashed and blown up planes and tanks that came be used to for cover by tanks?  :airplane:
+1  :aok
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:30:30 AM »
How low do you want your Frame rates to be?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »
most games ive played which have this kind of clutter let you decide how long it stays around and/or disable it, for just this reason. (eg. like our ground detail slider)

min-spec system? turn it off. uber system with plenty of headroom? smoking burntout tanks with rounds cooking off and smoking aircraft wreckage everywhere :rock

+1
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline RaptorL

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »
I say go for it.
+

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
The wrecks could be scattered about just like windmills and barns are.  Shouldn't be a frame rate hit.  Players vanish upon death same as now.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
This fine gentlemen makes the point to end this conversation.  The dialup folk already need to lower everything.  Adding more objects can only hurt. 
How low do you want your Frame rates to be?

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 03:08:27 PM »
This fine gentlemen makes the point to end this conversation.  The dialup folk already need to lower everything.  Adding more objects can only hurt. 

not really, like i suggested it could be optional, like the detail, res, ground clutter etc that we have already.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Panzerace

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »
Do away with a windmill and a small houses here and there.  Put a panzer carcus were some houses are. Would make for great camoflage. It doent have to be smoking or on fire. Frame rate would be no different then now.
“No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country.” GSP

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:26:25 PM »
The dialup folk already need to lower everything. 
Dial up has nothing to do with that :aok

Offline Mato

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
I think some may have missed the original point of this wish. (or I have)

The request is for downed planes and vehicles (built into the terrain or from player deaths) to be used for "cover" for vehicle against vehicle engagements.
You need something tangible there (like trees, windmills, etc.) that will not only block your view, but will also stop rounds from hitting you.
This can't be done with an option for players to turn it on or off (or anything in between).

If we're talking about just making it look more intense, I'm all for more adjustable ground detail.
If you can turn off any particular detail, I believe you'll need to be able to drive and shoot through it (eliminating the "cover" aspect of the wish).
Otherwise you'd be hitting invisible objects and that may just ruin your fun after awhile.

I like the idea, but I agree there may be FR problems for those of us on low-end computers.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 01:19:10 AM »
I've been dying to see fighters or bombers with dead pilots plummeting to the earth rather than just blowing up...  I feel like this could play along the same lines.

I think people jump to the "frame rates" conclusion way too quickly.  There are trees everywhere, yet no one has said "Lets get rid of the trees! They effect my frame rate!"  A downed aircraft could be exactly the same as a tree and it's quality could be controlled by your graphics options just as easily as a barn, bridge, windmill, or tree is.

It would be way too cool to see a plane crash into the earth, slide across the ground and see a carcass of the aircraft laying there to be used for the fight.  This may not be possible on the current terrain engine as it would require the system to note that there is a downed a/c at that point on the map there for everyone, but for the future this would be very cool.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 06:49:49 AM »
Every object drawn within sight of you and anyone else in the area has an effect on your frame rate.

Houses, barns, trees are all designed to give the landscape "clutter" without effecting frame rates any more than absolutely necessary. However, once you start dropping tank hulls and plane parts around the landscape, you will instantly start effecting frame rates. Now many of us have enough overhead that we could afford to lose 10-20%.

But there are many who fly who are right at the borderline already, or even below the mid 30's it takes to fly effectively.
Impact their Frame rates 20% and you have in effect shut them out of the game.

Hitechcreations does the best it can do to give a level playing field to all its customers.
What your asking for would change that.

Would it be nice, sure, but its eye candy. Get past the eye candy and get into the combat.

Offline orion1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »
+1 

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 08:16:35 PM »
Ghosth, you are the most effective wish-killer and debater I know.  :salute

-Penguin