Author Topic: Question for HiTech et al RE: AR 234  (Read 470 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Question for HiTech et al RE: AR 234
« on: January 09, 2002, 11:24:00 AM »
Dear HiTech,

First off, I am still enjoying Aces High immensely and think that it is far and away the best MP Flight Sim I have ever played. Therefore, the following is a question and not a whine.

I'd been saving up my bomber perks to finally take a ride in the AR234. And when I reached the magic 60 last night I eagerly sprinted to the hanger to take my "birthday present" for a spin. I loaded her up with max bombs (kinda light, but who cares it's a jet - right?) and some RATOs and off I went. But wait a minute? Where are my 20mm cannons? I had read in all my technical books that the Bomber version of the AR234 B2 had cannons, for instance - "Standard defensive armament consisted of a pair of 20-mm MG 151 cannons installed in the underside of the fuselage and firing toward the rear" [WW2 Airplanes, p. 171, Rand McNally]

Unfortunately, while I got the bomber humming along in the 350mph range, I was overhauled by a TA152 and a P51 and after some insane low-level maneuvering, crashed before ever reaching my target. So endeth my perk ride.

A few questions then:

1) Where are the Standard 20mms firing rearward and presumably aimed by the pilot using the periscope down the center line?

2) Why is the AR234 60 perk points? With a light bomb load, no defensive armament and a full bombload top speed below that of fast interceptor this plane is meat for the grinder and really only has novelty value. I can understand perhaps 25-30, but 60?

3) Are there any plans to change the parameters for this plane in upcoming versions?

Thanks for your patience and keep up the excellent work.

- Seagoon
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline butch2k

• Copper Member
      • http://www.allaboutwarfare.com/forums
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2002, 11:35:00 AM »
As far as i know the MG151/20 were only mounted on the C-3. The upper pack containing the MG151/20 designed for the B-2 was just a project and was never built.

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2002, 11:58:00 AM »
see this thread
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2002, 12:32:00 PM »
Heres a neat trick I use.  Dont use your RATOS on takeoff.  Save them.  If you get bounced by some enemy fighters, immediately drop your bomb load and ingite the RATOS.  At sea level your AR234 will do over 500mph with RATOS burning.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2002, 01:51:00 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the reference and the RATO trick. The thread is helpful, but doesn't answer the question when or if the 20mms will appear. So I guess the question to HiTech still stands.

I just asked a friend of mine who retired from the USAF about the 20mms and he said that as he recalled the captured AR234 bombers (B models) that they tested had 20mm guns firing to the rear and aimed by periscope. He is going to email a buddy of his who works in archives to see if he can confirm this.

BTW - I remember thinking "boy I wish I still had those RATOs" as the TA152 was coming within 1.2k  ;)

Thanks again,

Seagoon
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline HoHun

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2002, 02:22:00 PM »
Hi John,

>see this thread

I'd like to point out that this thread starts out suggesting that the Arado did have the cannon, but not the optical sights. This idea is born out of a misunderstanding caused by an ambigous formulation on the website referred to in the thread.

Opposite to what is suggested in the thread, there can be no doubt that the Arado Ar 234B did feature the rearview periscope, but the fixed rearward firing armament is doubtful.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2002, 04:46:00 PM »
It's supposed to have the to fixed 20mm's, but we had a problem with the periscope not clipping correctly with the 3d model.  I don't know if or when the cannons may be enabled.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2002, 08:38:53 AM »
Can we please have the ventral cannon? And the C4 model?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2002, 09:33:20 AM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
see this thread

Ah the thread is blank??:confused:
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix