Author Topic: Birthday Computer  (Read 1971 times)

Offline mtn-paradoc

• Zinc Member
Re: Birthday Computer
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »
thanks....Ill be ordering all new stuff.  Now to sneak a couple new parts a payday until i have them all!
  Will any mid tower work or am I looking for a specific type.....and i do realize im being lazy....I should just read and learn. But I rely on the kindness of strangers....did i mention that I work in a truck that is full of meds? hmmmmmm? lol
I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.
- Duke of Wellington

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Most Mid Tower's are good...you'll want good airflow but by the sounds of it you don't have money to blow.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
thanks....Ill be ordering all new stuff.  Now to sneak a couple new parts a payday until i have them all!
  Will any mid tower work or am I looking for a specific type.....and i do realize im being lazy....I should just read and learn. But I rely on the kindness of strangers....did i mention that I work in a truck that is full of meds? hmmmmmm? lol
You're on a budget, that's good and I know what it feels like. Having to piecemeal a system paycheck to paycheck can sometimes work out pretty well. I'm going to recommend you do this, check for deals before you buy...newegg, tigerdirect, directron and many other decent online retailers have deals all the time that can save you money...the most expensive components besides the monitor are going to be your video card, mobo and power supply...figure about $100+ for a good AMD cpu. Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but just from what I've read from several others...the AMD setup with a mid to high end ATI video card is proving to be more economical and somewhat better performance than a comparable Intel/Nvidia setup. If you shop carefully you could probably do a really nice system build sans monitor for around $700.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline mtn-paradoc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
thanks and considering that its after xmas and dad lost his mind again....sigh. I will be piece mealing this new puter.

But this is a learning opportunity... just wait to you see the NEXT one! lol
I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.
- Duke of Wellington

Offline mtn-paradoc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »
did all my shopping and the total is..................a drum roll please............

669.43...with free shipping.   So very doable.

on a side note...i gave my parts list to a "friend" who does puter repair and builds....his price...1500.
- Duke of Wellington

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »
Just make sure all the stuff is compatible! ex. motherboard/cpu sockets, motherboard/ram types.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:13 PM »
OK, I've looked at everything and everyone has given great ideas EXCEPT cooling. Heat and dust are the 2 fastest ways to kill a computer, besides giving a squirt gun to a 5 year old. Do the shopping, when building a computer you can cut corners but not on the cooling solution. Since it sounds like you're not going completely balls to the wall, you can easily run an air solution ( http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373509 ) , make sure you have good crossflow with intake/exhaust fans. Sorry to harp on little things, but I've been building Gaming rigs for about 15 years (A+, CCENT, MCP) and I've seen buddies build a great looking setup only to fry it by skimping on the cooling solution.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:10:00 PM by MadHatter »
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Alright, I  followed your suggestions, and got the hard drive, ram, and video card from Newegg, while I got the case, and XPS 600 with fans, motherboard, DVD-ROM drive, DVD-ROM Burner, and PSU already installed for $175 at a local computer store. (Not Best Buy or Microcenter. Local.) It was hidden in the back room, but when I mentioned that I was looking for a good base to learn on, the clerk brought it out. There, I got Windows 7 Home for $130, bringing the grand total to $516.75 all told. I ordered it on Sunday, and it should be arriving today. According to UPS,  my hard drive, RAM, and video card are out for delivery, and I am in full-on excited mode. I want to fly or play a game, but I can't for fear of missing the truck. Same goes for music. For the last half hour, I have rushed to the door every time I heard an engine or a door shut. Thanks you guys!
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
What PSU is in it?

FlyKommando.com

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »
According to the PSU, it says it is a Dell N650P-00 and the output is 650 watts. The sucker weighs 10 lbs, and makes the computer one heavy sucker.

When looking at this image, I am guessing that the slots on the right are for the RAM, and the ones on the bottom are for the video card?

Full album is at http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/Enker_photo/New%20Computer/
I hope my desk will be good enough for building the computer, and will I need an anti-static strap? Or, is it just fine to remember to touch the metal parts of the case before I begin?
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »
Yes the black slot is for your video card, top right is for RAM.

I never bothered to have a static strap, just de-shockitized myself (I made that word) before touching anything.

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »
yeah was gonna say that cause I think your avatar causes way too much static electricity  :uhoh.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
Well, the UPS guy finally arrived at 6:30. I got my parts, put them in the computer, and didn't do anything. I really want to install this new-fangled Windows 7, but trying to do so without a monitor will be a major PITA. All I need is one little cord! :mad: But, I didn't hear the dreaded snap of static electricity, so I think I'm good. That is, unless I forgot to plug in a cord or two.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »
Got a fancy new monitor to go with everything, plugged it in, and it runs just fine. Next on the agenda is to get an AV on it, Firefox with NoScript, Aces High, and what not. Unfortunately, there is one slight problem: There is no sound. Apparently, there is no sound device installed, so I can't hear a single thing. Would I need to get a set of drivers from the manufacturer's website, or could I put in a sound card? Also, could I switch the sound card that is on this computer, a XP-era Audigy ZS Platinum over to the Windows 7 machine, or is it far too old?

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »
id try drivers for the sound from the mother board manufacturer first. could always check for drivers for the sound card. Make sure they are compatitble with your OS. then you might have to disable the onboard sound on your motherboard in the bios if you use the sound card.you should consult a manual for your motherboard.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty