Author Topic: Wings of Prey, PC beta release!  (Read 14566 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Wings of Prey, PC beta release!
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
I stay away from torrents.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »
Wow - the GFX blow my mind away. The immersion is great. Just had my first online dogfights on a Sicily map. Wow again - the cloud fights were awesome. The new graphics make eye-ball identification of other planes much easier than in AH or IL2.

The controller setup was a chore and the flight model is not without some serious twirks but it's definately a step ahead in the technical department. I always loved the engine management in IL2 but WoP makes it so much harder with it's rudimentary feedback on screen and the non-existent manual.

Nevertheless WoP is a raw diamond. Looking forward to its developement!

---

BTW, I had Birds of Prey for the PS3 for a while now - and those two games are TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS!!! The PC version is lightyears ahead...
Real men fly Radial!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
I stay away from torrents.
Well I got the link to that torrent from a post on their forum from the developer YuPlay after they had removed it from there site until they made the smaller demo version, so I'm sure it's safe, but they have put up the demo of the smaller 1.36GB version today, here's the link.

http://yuplay.com/story.php?title=Wings-Prey--demo-version
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:54:20 PM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »
Alright, alright - I am starting to sound like a Gajiin fanboi... but wow - haven't had that overwhelming feeling while flying a 'toon plane (as we say nowadays) for a while. Just played around with the training mission builder. Zoomed around a formation of B-17s over Dover cliffs and let a horde (16 or so) of C.202s chase me around mount etna. And after that I kept watching the replay. This game really hit a nerve with me!! I can only DREAM & DROOL if AH had these GFX!!!   :O

Online play is meh - with only a handful of realism servers up which tend to be team deathmatches albeit with historical setup! Had some fun T&Bing in a Spit9 (yeah I know - but the server forced me to the allied side) vs. G2, F4s and 202s. The damage model is harsh. Only a few pings tend to drop you out of the fight but it's such a thrill!  :x
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
That would be because all you downloaded was the torrent file, you need to use a program called BitTorrent to then open that file and download the game.

Here's a link to where you can download the BitTorrent client and start downloading the demo.

http://www.bittorrent.com/

When i downlaod the file from that link and try to run the program it says its not a valid win32 application. Any suggestions to make it work?
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009, 11:25:33 PM »
When i downlaod the file from that link and try to run the program it says its not a valid win32 application. Any suggestions to make it work?
No clue, but if your downloading BitTorrent just so you can get the demo they put out the smaller version of the demo today on their website that you can download directly from them without needing to use BiTorrent.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 11:37:45 PM »
No clue, but if your downloading BitTorrent just so you can get the demo they put out the smaller version of the demo today on their website that you can download directly from them without needing to use BiTorrent.

Oh sweet! Thanks man  :salute
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2009, 11:41:19 PM »
Looks cool I got IL-2 Birds Of Prey for PS3 for christmas looks alot like it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2009, 01:33:05 AM »
Downloaded the demo and played around with the BoB demo campaign for a few hours and while the graphics are very nice but not really impressed with the flight model.  What's the difference between Realism and Simulation?  I tried both for a few hours and found no difference in how the Spitfire flew between any of these settings.  In fact, even in Arcade mode, the plane had the same 'feel', though it was almost impossible to get into an accelerated stall in that mode.  Unfortunately, haven't been able to try multiplayer as the demo doesn't have it enabled.  Still, I do like the graphics and the damage model and did enjoy playing the BoB demo campaign.  Will get it to but at least in the FM department, BoP or AH have nothing to fear from WoP.

Here are some screenshots from the BoB demo campaign showing some damage I received after diving into a hord of He 111's and Ju 87s.  Bagged a few and a Bf 109E for good measure. 

Some shots of the aftermath of the German raid.

Another thing that suprised me about this game was how easy it was to use a Xbox 360 controller with the game and how responsive it was.  It was just as responsive as my CH set up.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2009, 01:40:49 AM »
well after a couple hours trying to even get the plane to stay in the Air  :rofl

(I bet I augured more times today in that game then the whole time I have been in AH,) :rofl

awesome graphics...going through the clouds is sweet :D
 it truly is sick but at this point playability is to the extremely difficult I would say,I was only playing the demo version, it is very sick, The View system suks bad, that's its biggest downfall.
plus the p-51 spins out of control WAY too easy, It is very different from AH, the flight model that is, it seems to react more like a real plane would but yet To much at the same time.

the biggest difference for me was after a few hours of that, Ya wow its pretty...hard...no rush, I log into AH head to center Island, get into a sick fight and my whole body is shaking from adrenaline. :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2009, 01:47:09 AM »
Where did you select teh P-51 to fly in the demo?  The demo I got only allows you to fly a Spitfire II during the BoB and a LA7 during the Battle for Berlin, didn't have any other selections than that.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2009, 01:49:27 AM »
Where did you select teh P-51 to fly in the demo?  The demo I got only allows you to fly a Spitfire II during the BoB and a LA7 during the Battle for Berlin, didn't have any other selections than that.

ack-ack

the demo I got is a 51 and I think the spit but I have not tried that one yet so cant say for sure.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »

ack-ack
Which demo did you download, the larger 6GB one or the smaller 1.36GB?

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
In my opinion the game was released too early, I can't recommend that people buy the game until they review the view system and implement dedicated servers. It's a great addition to the genre and I can't wait to see what's next, I hear that they are already working on a pacific add-on!!! I can't wait to start landing on a C.V with those graphics!!!

Just play the demo and soak in the eye candy, I'll let you know when the time to buy comes!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:24:53 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
In my opinion the game was released too early, I can't recommend that people buy the game until they review the view system and implement dedicated servers. It's a great addition to the genre and I can't wait to see what's next, I hear that they are already working on a pacific add-on!!! I can't wait to start landing on a C.V with those graphics!!!

I agree the View system is it's biggest down fall at this point.