Author Topic: "pick" not what most think  (Read 2730 times)

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
Re: "pick" not what most think
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »
You're still the one in someone elses' six. 

ack-ack

The Force is strong with this one
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »
It's not semantics.  If you are not engaged and get shot down, this is not a pick.  It's just poor SA... or chicken breast fixation?   :D

I say it is semantics because the definition of a 'pick' is what the community defines it as.  If some in the community have a different definition then who's to say their definition isn't valid for them to use the word to their liking?  But yeah like you said, it's much worse SA getting picked when you aren't engaged than getting picked when you are.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
I say it is semantics because the definition of a 'pick' is what the community defines it as.  If some in the community have a different definition then who's to say their definition isn't valid for them to use the word to their liking?  But yeah like you said, it's much worse SA getting picked when you aren't engaged than getting picked when you are.

I know bro, I was agreeing with you.  Chicken breast fixated.. .heheheh
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »
I know bro, I was agreeing with you.  Chicken breast fixated.. .heheheh

Roger, break break, lets go own a horde.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
Exactly Ack-ack. That's how I described it.

Ink needs to deflate his ego...

:rofl :rofl

you call it "ego" I call it "skill" :lol   semantics;   and please do tell were my "ego" was involved?

I would kick your buttocks off 1vs1, I am the best stick here! I am the best there is at targeting, ect ect...  those are "ego's"  cant recall ever saying anything like that.

and no that's not how you were "describing it"

tomato-tomato is semantics trying to say one "thing" is another is not semantics, just cuz some think that getting killed from some guy who has ALT is a "pick" does not make it so.

I am duly informed now On the "cherry pick" aspect of the whole thing now thanx :aok I assumed it meant "new" guy, as in a "cherry" recruit/new guy in the field.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »
Picking is an abbreviation of Cherry Picking.  It refers to zooming in and killing an enemy contact already engaged in a fight.

is what the community defines it as

That's like saying the "community" is free to redefine the measuring system, to make a 4 inch knob 8 inches. 

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
Picking is an abbreviation of Cherry Picking.  It refers to zooming in and killing an enemy contact already engaged in a fight.

That's like saying the "community" is free to redefine the measuring system, to make a 4 inch knob 8 inches. 

Or maybe Picking has an entirely different meaning within the confines of Aces High 2?  My definition is the same as yours, but I could care less if someone says I picked them when they were afk on climbout.  It changes nothing.  They're still dead as a result of their bad/indifferent SA.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:20 PM »
i always thought a pick was when someone came in and cleared my 12? or one of your countrymen came in and cleared your 12?

other than that, i didn't think picks existed......wellll........ex cept for nose picking.  :noid :rofl :neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
I've always heard it referred to as shooting someone who's already busy/engaged with someone else.  

"Cherry Picking" to me means "picking one individual out of the bunch, or the group".  What makes him so appealing, that you'd select him?  He's distracted...

Somewhere, there used to be a quasi-"official" list of AH terminology, and this was one of the terms defined.  I'm having difficulty finding it now.

Aha!  Turns out it's in the AHwiki-  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Common_terms

pick - or cherry pick: Attacking an enemy already engaged with another plane

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:14:28 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »
You're tooling around at 2k on auto climb, and some guy at 550mph comes in from 15k and nails you even though you attempt to evade.

It's a pick.

It's a (often) skill-less manuver designed to reward via instant gratification with no danger, threat, or effort towards the picker's part.

So you're wrong. There can be "picking" when only 2 are present, and NO, a pick isn't "only" when the picked pilot was on somebody else's 6 oclock.

However, we are in agreement that too many people throw the term out, like the newbies saying "Nice HO" to a 3 oclock glancing shot, etc.

no it isn't.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
What I find humorous is when someone sees a flight of 2, they jump in to a fight and then they get shackeled, pressed, and killed then accuse the #2 guy of Picking.  Sorry it is called wingman tactics, not picking.  If you jump a squad in the air expect it.

actually, when i've been in fun fights, if i ask someone to stay out, and they come in anyway, i take the first chance i get to egress....and let em die at the hands of the dude i was fighting.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 04:27:58 AM »
No, to pick is to take the easy kill with the least effort/risk to you. To cherry-pick (choose the choicest, closest, nicest cherry) is where the term comes from.

Applying it to AH, a number of folks pretend it has a narrow application. These same folks also tend to whine and complain that they ignore other planes in multi-plane engagements, pushing a 1v1 well after it's turned into something else. The same folks cry when they get "picked" (their use of the word) or when somebody else kills "their" target. They have tried to change the meaning of it.

agreed :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »
 :D     :airplane:

A vulch is someone blazing in to the field and shooting/killing me while I am either taking off or attempting to land my kills.  However, when I do it, it is considered intense aerial combat followed by a warm, satisfying victory.   :neener:

A pick is defined as someone buzzing in from some ridiculous alt to shoot me while I am actively engaged with other 'red' guy.  However, when I do it, it is considered intense aerial combat resulting in a well earned victory and a bunch of wtfg's on Country Chat!   :banana:

:rofl
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2009, 07:34:09 AM »
  Pick, bounce, butt-reamin, what have you, Im with Krusty on this. Whether the guy was looking around or checking that his sauce didnt burn on the stove, that kill you just got could have been alot more fun than pop-boom. People who make a living at this type of play will never understand what I get from this game.

~AoM~

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2009, 08:04:48 AM »
So let me get this straight...to pick means that green guy is being pursued by red guy, second green guy swoops in and kills red guy.

Hmmm...sounds like the term "ganging" would actually cover this situation, without any additional terms. Actually, this sounds like very *light* ganging by MA standards, 17-1 odds being more typical.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."