Author Topic: "pick" not what most think  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: "pick" not what most think
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2009, 08:33:25 AM »
What you guys ALL have to remember, is that a "cherry pick" on one side of the engagement, is just "good wingman tactics" or "drag and bag" on the other side.

It is all relative to which side of the fight your on.

Not necessarily fun for the guy who gets picked.
But if he was being worked by a wingpair, or getting dragged so someone else could bag him its his own poor SA that caused it.

Remember, if you just died, you made a mistake someplace!
Don't blame it on the other guy, figure out where you could have done it better.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2009, 10:02:44 AM »
Remember, if you just died, you made a mistake someplace!

Yep, it is just one of several derogatory terms invented by players as way to blame other people for their own mistakes, and as such has no place or value in the vocabulary of air combat.

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »
some peeps are just whiney little redheaded frecklers.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2009, 01:09:47 PM »
I'll wait to see this new term be introduced on ch 200." I bounced you fool." Yes I knew the true term of pick. Just didn't have the AH grammar of climbing out of my field and bang. Bogey 6 O' clock high. Still seems desperate for a kill IMO. :D
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »
I agree with Krusty and Lynx's definition, it's an abbreviation of 'cherry-picking'.

:cool:

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
The "pick" IMHO is taking a pilot unaware of your presence period.  The problem with terms is the they are ALWAYS subject to a person opinion and pov (picker or pickee).  It really makes no difference WHAT Ink thinks or I think or anyone else for that matter and yelling about being picked will NEVER go away until 200 goes away (which is what I think should happen).

Merry Christmas all :angel:

BigJim
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
I agree with Krusty and Lynx's definition, it's an abbreviation of 'cherry-picking'.

:cool:

Krusty and lynx have contradicting opinions.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »
So let me get this straight...to pick means that green guy is being pursued by red guy, second green guy swoops in and kills red guy.

Hmmm...sounds like the term "ganging" would actually cover this situation, without any additional terms. Actually, this sounds like very *light* ganging by MA standards, 17-1 odds being more typical.

Its also a noobish attempt to call foul when wingmen are working together. Getting 'picked' and then calling foul (using 'picked' as an excuse) is just admitting to poor SA or poor choice (in the case of getting into a slow turn fight).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
Lol, wingman tactics..  i bet less than 10% of picks are 'wingman tactics' 
  Heck when I gotta good fight going and some 'non-wingman' dweeb comes in from out of vis range to pick the red guy, sometime I have to yell at my new 'non-desired wingman' to stay out. And thats only works 50% of the time. 
  So an example of a pick is when you're about to get killed by a guy you just had a decent fight with and some additional red guy comes down and blasts you due to your bad SA.  Good stuff. 
What I should have done was..  seen the other guy coming from 6.0k out, broke off from my engagement and lit the burners and ran back to my ack or to my buddies.  Thats good SA & gameplay there, not to mention overall weenieness 

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 03:20:58 PM »
  sometime I have to yell at my new 'non-desired wingman' to stay out. And thats only works 50% of the time. 

LOL.  If someone actually yelled at me to stay out, I'd kill the guy he was on in a second.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
To me a picker is anyone who enters an ongoing fight to the advantaged side. If you come upon a country mate who is out #d, by all means get stuck in. If you come upon a 1v1 or 2v1 etc where your side has the #s then stay out. Even if the would be picker doesn't get the kill, he is still a piktard having attempted such a pick. The mere act of attempting the pick has labeled you true as a "PIKTARD". Now if your country mate loses and you just so happened to time your kill on the winner seconds later, then I say WTG at least you gave them the opportunity to finish no matter the outcome. So to be clear I think a picker is anyone who tries to alter a fight or steal a kill. So those of you who make "DRY" B&Z runs in an ongoing fight are absolutely--->PIKTARDS  :aok   :cheers:

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
well this is for anyone who says "nice pick"  when you are alone rolleyes or with a bunch of friendlies.

A "pick" is only a "pick" when the one being "picked" is actually on someones 6/or engaged with someone.

in other words if you are "picked" and you were not in a fight, you were not "picked".
:aok Never thought about it that way. I like that.
But now when someone says 'Nice pick' to me, I can correct them if they are wrong, which they probably will not be. :D

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
LOL.  If someone actually yelled at me to stay out, I'd kill the guy he was on in a second.

Instead of yelling and someone asks you to stay out of a good 1v1, you would still jump in?
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »
I think thats Steves way of calling BS which I second.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »