Author Topic: need a little input  (Read 3122 times)

Offline weed1

• Zinc Member
need a little input
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:05:07 AM »
 :)i am going to build a new puter this is what i got now gig-byte board amd64 4gig ram agp video soundblaster soundcard. 2 h/d in raid jbod only prob i had w/board 1 of my earthnet ports don't work the nvida nforce.want to stay with gig-byte the new 1 for i7 cpus.but i haven't built a pc for8 years so any1 likes a different motherboard plz post.i am also going with pci express any input for cards plz post was going to go with nvdia sli but i know ati has crossfire let me know which 1 would be better or what you like.any comments plz post any input will be ok i will take all in consideration    thankyou all
 P.S. and what power supply do you think for 4 harddrives 3 videocards and i7 cpu   

weed1
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:07:50 AM by weed1 »

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
Re: need a little input
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:09:27 AM »
weed, if you would like to have an i7 AND have the option of going SLI as well as crossfire, you may want to check out EVGA's boards, they have high ratings, and many users on these forums like them. Gigabyte has a few 1366 mobos that support SLI and crossfire as well, so I'd just compare their specs and special feature and see which one you could use more. I don't really know if SLI or Crossfire is the better way to go, but I DO know that ATI's latest HD 5700 and 5800 series are more bang for the buck compared to nvidia's GTX series right now. Those cards also have more future capabilities like DX11. Although now that won't give you much over nvidia, once more DX11 programs come out you will start to see a difference.
Power supply, I think I would go with either an Antec TPQ series, a PC Power and Cooling  TurboCool 1000 or 1200 ( ask TD about these, he said PCP&C was just shut down by OCZ, but he may have a few left over), Ultra X3 and X4 power supplies are pretty good, and also the Gigabyte Odins and Zalman PSUs.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »
Why SLI - Crossfire? I've still seen nothing that shows an average gain of more than 10-15 %.
Better off spending the money for a single good video card and save yourself the hassles.

Why raid? What gain are you going to get out of it to make it worth the extra $$$ your putting into it?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
Kind of hard to understand the post - but what model is the mobo? Compatible with i7? Why 3 video cards?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »
Why 3 video cards?
yeah seriously? why?

when you can get one of those ATI 5870's or is it 5970 series ( maybe both ) that support 3 monitors to begin with...

or one could go with the Matrox TripleHead2Go as featured on the Aces High Homepage ( lower right of page is a linked picture )

some of those ATI fanboi's have 4 video cards, if they are "NUTTZ" that is........  but some MB's support quad ATI videocard setups

ie the ATI Spider system I believe it is called....... for instance my current MB is capable of (1) or (2) videocards at PCI-E X16 speed all the way up to (4) videocards at PCI-E x8  ...........

just saying, not that I would ever go with 4 videocards ........... from here on, if anything maybe a max of (2) videocards in the future, depending on how far technology takes us.........

YMMV........... my little 2 bits  :airplane:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline weed1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:11:12 PM »
thanks guys its not that I'm going to go for all of it ( 3 cards may go w/1-2 )just want some info to see what is better need all info i can get  :) cost not really important ,but I do want to get my moneys worth. like i said ANY1 with some input PLZ post,need all the help i can get  lol  
                                    P.S. I'm only going with 1 either sli or crossfire not both, again thank you for posting

WEED1
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:14:17 PM by weed1 »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »
Why SLI - Crossfire? I've still seen nothing that shows an average gain of more than 10-15 %.
Better off spending the money for a single good video card and save yourself the hassles.

Why raid? What gain are you going to get out of it to make it worth the extra $$$ your putting into it?

have to 2nd this post then...

far better with High End videocard  especially...... verses 2....performance gain verses cost just isn't there yet....

and unless you doing some heavy "business" type work on this pc, and have "Very Important Documents" then no need for RAID......... better to go with some type of daily, weekly or monthly   HD backup setup / imaging software backup instead.......

put the money in better components..........

better yet, Check with TilDeath on these AH Message boards.......

Good Luck!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline weed1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:14 PM »
OK i went through all got prices dam you don't save any building it yourself :pray.soooo i ordered 1 from alienware video cards alone would have been 1500.00 :x :x :x got good price and great PC and 1 year warr, now how about a monitor???? any suggestions :D :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 03:33:13 PM »
now how about a monitor???? any suggestions :D :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Why? your not going to listen to reason anyhow.  Sorry, but my .02.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »
Why? your not going to listen to reason anyhow.  Sorry, but my .02.
LOL...gotta agree.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
alienware isnt what it used to be, and 1500$ for vid cards? 1 ati 5870 or a gtx295 is more then you would need. from my research multi vid cards is a waste of money due to gaining 4-6 fps over 1 card. Evga has prolly the best mobos atm and their customer service is second to none. Psu i have heard some really good things about the corsair ones. which i7 did you want the 1156 or 1366 socket? i have read alot of great things about the 920, and people OCing them to 4gig on air. I just ordered one myself gets here thursday with the evga x58 board, i went with raidon vid due to the better speeds then the gtx's for 1/2 the price....my 1st radeon vid card so i hope i made a good choice. ATM im still using my alienware computer  mine is old but still runs new games(agp vid card) but the one i have is pre dell, i have heard since dell bought them out they have gone down hill. What mobo is in your alienware? most mobo's pcie are 16x/8x/4x. you pay alot for a fancy alien head case and name and the componets inside are extreamly over priced for what you get. my new build cost me around 2000$ over all and i have alot of room to upgrade, i7 920 proc, 6gigs ocz 1600mhz ram, velociraptor 300gig hd, Lg blueray drive, 1000w ultrax3 psu(wish i went with corsair but have had the psu for a year), win 7 pro 64bit, apeiva x jupiter g case(also had this for a year), and ati 5770 vid card(had to skimp on this due to funds but will be upgrading to the 5970 or gtx295 depending on how i like the radeon card). i hope you have good luck with your alienware and it preforms well for you the only real complaint i have about mine is it is old but it has been good to me. please post the computers guts or the model you got, id like to compair it to what im building.

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 04:49:50 PM »
oh and monitor? how big of one do you want? if size dont matter i would look at the samsung 120mhz monitors they are only 22" widescreen but most monitors are only 60mhz.

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »
One thing to remember about when using multiple (even single) Vid cards is the heat issue. How are you planning to cool this thing? As for RAID, which configuration are you looking at? If you're not going to use the puter for "mission critical" (finances, things like that) then go with RAID 0. It will spread the info between the HDDs, but remember, if 1 goes out, they all go out. Not to take away from anyone here, but if you're really wanting to get down and dirty in building this computer go to http://overclock.net/ , you'll find more A+, MCPs,, MCSEs and CCNAs here then anywhere else I found, and since most of the rigs there are gaming rigs, maybe you'll get some good ideas to add to your new system. Good luck with the build and keep us posted
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:10 PM »
oh and monitor? how big of one do you want? if size dont matter i would look at the samsung 120mhz monitors they are only 22" widescreen but most monitors are only 60mhz.
That would be Hertz rating (cycles per second)...as in 120Hz refresh rate...not mhz as in mega hertz...

Most computer monitors are capable of taking 75-80Hz at less than native (maximum resolution)...and the 120Hz standard is for video streaming, not computer gaming.

The 2233RZ, in conjunction with NVIDIA’s advanced software, automatically converts over 350 games to stereoscopic 3D without the need for special game patches. High-tech active shutter glasses, designed with top-of-the-line optics, deliver double the resolution per eye and ultra-wide viewing angles than passive glasses. In addition, the new pure 120Hz LCD monitors unlock crystal-clear,flicker-free stereoscopic 3D gaming that provides 60Hz per eye.
Still only using 60Hz refresh rates for gaming...even though it's biopic.

The price difference between the 120Hz LCD monitor and a standard LCD monitor...it's a bit steep right now.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline weed1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
OK specs i7 960 6 gig ram dual 1.8 gig gtx 295 s liquid cooled <-- good for overclocking case :neener: 2 640 gig sata-ll in raid 0 plus other things normal things.CPU and video cards were over 2000.00
when bought over net cases were 600-1000 $ depending on power supply they wanted like 600.00 to over clock CPU  :x :x :x  i can do that myself  ;):will be here by end of month. cant wait :pray o and size doesnt matter in montior dont want to spend more than 3000.00 have to cash in cd if i do :O just want one of best not over 30 in btw thanks everybody for posting <<<S>>> Weed1
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:06:21 PM by weed1 »