Author Topic: this sucks!  (Read 1586 times)

Offline captdan

• Zinc Member
this sucks!
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
 I have been playing for about a year love the game, but really these arena caps, been trying to get in to orange for 1/2 hour! it was 247/100 when i first tried now 202/200 for last fifteen min blue is 130/250 now people will say go play in blue for awhile, well i dont want to play in blue! the kids are taking a nap i have got a hour to play and i want to play now this is not the first time just the last straw!!!

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
Re: this sucks!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »
Whats wrong with blue?  :huh

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:13:07 PM »
how can the "helping people" of this "particular  Help and Training forum" help you?

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline captdan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
tell me why i cant just play  dont have a lot of free time. if i have a extra hour dont want to wait 15min to get in and i dont mind blue thats not the point. the point is why is the max in blue always higher and less players? i could see it if it was trying to make the sides even but the knights always have less players

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »
Not much people can do to "help" here, you had a choice to play in blue and decided not to.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »
tell me why i cant just play  dont have a lot of free time. if i have a extra hour dont want to wait 15min to get in and i dont mind blue thats not the point. the point is why is the max in blue always higher and less players? i could see it if it was trying to make the sides even but the knights always have less players

To answer your question..... because most people ...like you.... seem to prefer to play in orange.

I don't know why that is. If I have an hour to play, I jump into which ever arena I can and play. To me there is no real difference. To you there IS a difference, so you complain and keep banging on the door to get in instead of playing for the hour you have. It's your choice, choose wisely.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:16:29 PM »
I have been playing for about a year love the game, but really these arena caps, been trying to get in to orange for 1/2 hour! it was 247/100 when i first tried now 202/200 for last fifteen min blue is 130/250 now people will say go play in blue for awhile, well i dont want to play in blue! the kids are taking a nap i have got a hour to play and i want to play now this is not the first time just the last straw!!!

Hi Captdan,

I understand if you are trying to hook up with squad mates or a buddy, but if you are just looking for some late war action, the other late war arena offers a very similar gaming experience. It can be disappointing if you can't fly where you want, but I can offer some suggestions that may help the next time this happens. It won't help you to get into the arena you want to fly in, but it may help you spend that spare 30 minutes in a more enjoyable fashion.

Have you ever had the feeling that you are hungry, but you aren't quite sure what you want to eat, so you ask someone to make some suggestions for you? Well here is the "I want to fly, but I'm not quite sure what I want to do" list of things to try when you only have 30 minutes and all your squad mates are in a full arena.

1) Go to the Dueling Arena pick a maneuverable fighter, fly out to the middle of Furball lake staying below 5k, and wait for higher bandits to swoop down on you. Fly defensive BFM, concentrate on keeping your SA high, and see how long you can survive. The enemy aircraft will be coming in fast, so practice a simple break turn and reverse for a shot on the extending bandit, or the more sophisticated barrel roll defense. You will get some much opportunity to practice that in a short space of time that you will soon have your timing to perfection. With multiple bandits, this will sharpen your SA and reflexes and help you to avoid target fixation.

2) Similar deal, but this time try it with one of the faster fighters such as the La7 or P-51D for example. Now you won't be able to depend on maneuverability as much, and can experiment with staying fast, or working at ultra low speeds Try the Fw190 and experiment with the high roll rates, and rapid deceleration, see if you can make Boyd's OODA loop work for you. Experiment with the fw190s fast transients, and achieving that first shot opportunity. 

3) Same again, but now, allow bandits to fly into the control zone, but now practice your guns defense. After a while you will develop an instinctive feel for when the bandit has a shot and your reflexes will eventually be tuned so that they work on a subconscious level. It doesn't matter how good you are at this game, time spent honing your defensive skills is never wasted.

4) Not in the mood for defense because you want to kill something... You only have 30 minutes, so once again go to the DA, but this time ask someone to duel and do some 1v1 engagements with similar aircraft and starting conditions. This may not be representative of arena flying, but it is a very good way to learn, and diagnose your weaknesses, particularly if you are fortunate enough to hook up with someone who can beat you.

5) Ok, the DA simply isn't your thing, just quickly check into the TA, see if there is a trainer there, and ask those questions you always wanted to ask but never had the time. Even if there isn't a trainer present, there are often several people there willing to help. No luck? Okay, why not stick around for 30 minutes and see if you can help someone else? But you aren't in the mood for the TA, you only have 30 minutes and you still want to kill something.

6) Check into Early/Mid war, check out the map, see where the bases are flashing, then a quick check of the numbers will give you an indication of what's happening, which bases are under attack, and how many are doing it. Are people attacking undefended bases? If so change to the appropriate county and see if you can save the base. Up in a plane or GV, whichever is most appropriate and spoil their plans.

7) If you are in an arena you don't normally fly in, try something different. Don't just try different aircraft, try different flying styles. You normally don't care about score? Then see what score you can get in 30 minutes, next time this happens, try to beat that. You don't normally don't care about K/D ratio, then try to see how many kills you can get without getting killed. You already fly to live? Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop until you drop.   

8) Numbers are low? Perfect! Here is a chance to try out one of the low ENY attack aircraft you haven't spent much time with, practice your dive bombing technique. 30 minutes is enough for 3 or 4 sorties on the smaller maps, you might even have time to pull off a single handed V base capture.

9) Scout new friends or squad members... Go to the other LW arena, grab your favorite ride or your squad aircraft and look out for other people flying the same aircraft. Fly in the same general area, see how they do in your aircraft, help them out when you can, see how they respond to threat warnings and chk six calls, note their general behavior. Even if they don't make potential squad mates, it will help you in a fight if you know what the people around you are capable of and what support you are likely to receive. If nothing else, it will help raise your SA and give you something to discuss with your squad mates in the officers club.

10) Nothing there for you? Ok, with 30 minutes you have just enough time to learn something valuable about your favorite aircraft. Download my bootstrap calculator Download Badboy's BootStrap Calculator and do some offline flight tests in your favorite aircraft and find out what it is really capable of. Run the tests clean and with various flap settings and/or various weapon loads. Then compare it with some of the adversary aircraft you find most difficult to beat, the reason why will be revealed. The odd 30 minutes here and there will soon build you a very valuable resource and lead to an in depth understanding of your aircraft that will make you even harder to beat than you already are.

Hope that helps...

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:21:01 PM »
Heh, Heh  +1

Hi Captdan,

I understand if you are trying to hook up with squad mates or a buddy, but if you are just looking for some late war action, the other late war arena offers a very similar gaming experience. It can be disappointing if you can't fly where you want, but I can offer some suggestions that may help the next time this happens. It won't help you to get into the arena you want to fly in, but it may help you spend that spare 30 minutes in a more enjoyable fashion.

Have you ever had the feeling that you are hungry, but you aren't quite sure what you want to eat, so you ask someone to make some suggestions for you? Well here is the "I want to fly, but I'm not quite sure what I want to do" list of things to try when you only have 30 minutes and all your squad mates are in a full arena.

1) Go to the Dueling Arena pick a maneuverable fighter, fly out to the middle of Furball lake staying below 5k, and wait for higher bandits to swoop down on you. Fly defensive BFM, concentrate on keeping your SA high, and see how long you can survive. The enemy aircraft will be coming in fast, so practice a simple break turn and reverse for a shot on the extending bandit, or the more sophisticated barrel roll defense. You will get some much opportunity to practice that in a short space of time that you will soon have your timing to perfection. With multiple bandits, this will sharpen your SA and reflexes and help you to avoid target fixation.

2) Similar deal, but this time try it with one of the faster fighters such as the La7 or P-51D for example. Now you won't be able to depend on maneuverability as much, and can experiment with staying fast, or working at ultra low speeds Try the Fw190 and experiment with the high roll rates, and rapid deceleration, see if you can make Boyd's OODA loop work for you. Experiment with the fw190s fast transients, and achieving that first shot opportunity. 

3) Same again, but now, allow bandits to fly into the control zone, but now practice your guns defense. After a while you will develop an instinctive feel for when the bandit has a shot and your reflexes will eventually be tuned so that they work on a subconscious level. It doesn't matter how good you are at this game, time spent honing your defensive skills is never wasted.

4) Not in the mood for defense because you want to kill something... You only have 30 minutes, so once again go to the DA, but this time ask someone to duel and do some 1v1 engagements with similar aircraft and starting conditions. This may not be representative of arena flying, but it is a very good way to learn, and diagnose your weaknesses, particularly if you are fortunate enough to hook up with someone who can beat you.

5) Ok, the DA simply isn't your thing, just quickly check into the TA, see if there is a trainer there, and ask those questions you always wanted to ask but never had the time. Even if there isn't a trainer present, there are often several people there willing to help. No luck? Okay, why not stick around for 30 minutes and see if you can help someone else? But you aren't in the mood for the TA, you only have 30 minutes and you still want to kill something.

6) Check into Early/Mid war, check out the map, see where the bases are flashing, then a quick check of the numbers will give you an indication of what's happening, which bases are under attack, and how many are doing it. Are people attacking undefended bases? If so change to the appropriate county and see if you can save the base. Up in a plane or GV, whichever is most appropriate and spoil their plans.

7) If you are in an arena you don't normally fly in, try something different. Don't just try different aircraft, try different flying styles. You normally don't care about score? Then see what score you can get in 30 minutes, next time this happens, try to beat that. You don't normally don't care about K/D ratio, then try to see how many kills you can get without getting killed. You already fly to live? Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop until you drop.   

8) Numbers are low? Perfect! Here is a chance to try out one of the low ENY attack aircraft you haven't spent much time with, practice your dive bombing technique. 30 minutes is enough for 3 or 4 sorties on the smaller maps, you might even have time to pull off a single handed V base capture.

9) Scout new friends or squad members... Go to the other LW arena, grab your favorite ride or your squad aircraft and look out for other people flying the same aircraft. Fly in the same general area, see how they do in your aircraft, help them out when you can, see how they respond to threat warnings and chk six calls, note their general behavior. Even if they don't make potential squad mates, it will help you in a fight if you know what the people around you are capable of and what support you are likely to receive. If nothing else, it will help raise your SA and give you something to discuss with your squad mates in the officers club.

10) Nothing there for you? Ok, with 30 minutes you have just enough time to learn something valuable about your favorite aircraft. Download my bootstrap calculator Download Badboy's BootStrap Calculator and do some offline flight tests in your favorite aircraft and find out what it is really capable of. Run the tests clean and with various flap settings and/or various weapon loads. Then compare it with some of the adversary aircraft you find most difficult to beat, the reason why will be revealed. The odd 30 minutes here and there will soon build you a very valuable resource and lead to an in depth understanding of your aircraft that will make you even harder to beat than you already are.

Hope that helps...

Badboy

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 12:06:52 AM »
+1

Hi Captdan,

Hope that helps...

Badboy

i want to play now this is not the first time just the last straw!!!

i don't believe HTC is going to buy your bluff.
Squash

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »
Badboy +1 :rock

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:48:13 AM »
he has a point though.  people want to fly where the massively multiplayer action is !!! not the arena with 30 milking maids.

and  :lol badboy bored ?  just a little?
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:16 AM »
Point is there are a LOT of alternatives to flying with LWOrange.

If your stuck, go try a couple of them.

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 09:00:57 AM »
Sounds like you're a little cranky...maybe you should take the nap instead of the kids.   :bolt:
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 09:49:36 AM »
If people would move to LWBlue like they're supposed to instead of forcing their way into LWOrange all the time, LWBlue would fill up faster and things would work the way it's supposed to work. Instead you'd rather be pigheaded (no offense POTW) and circumvent the system then come here to complain. Just go to LWBlue and play. It's not that tough to figure out.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
how can the "helping people" of this "particular  Help and Training forum" help you?

tell me why i cant just play  dont have a lot of free time. if i have a extra hour dont want to wait 15min to get in and i dont mind blue thats not the point. the point is why is the max in blue always higher and less players? i could see it if it was trying to make the sides even but the knights always have less players

captdan, I hope Badboy's Esquisite Primer on "What to do with Limited Playing Time"  helped you, Sir......

as for venting because the LWorange is always maxed out and the LWblue has open slots most always.......... if it is a debate about not being able to fly with "your squad"? then a true "close knit" squad would work out some type of remedy....... perhaps flying "together" in different arenas....and not sticking to the same LWorange 100% of the time........ just a suggestion to bring up within your squad...............

but honestly........ I never had to wait longer than even 5 minutes, to get into any FULL arena, when it was maxed out.......and seriously feel, if you used the time that it took to post both these replys to this thread, you would have managed to get into that specific arena....

if your squad will not work with you, then what does that say about your squad? as far as "TEAM" atitude, and working /playing as a team.......just something to think about.......

Badboy, loved your response......... that's a KEEPER  :aok
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:05:04 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC