Author Topic: Russia May Send Spacecraft to Knock Away Asteroid  (Read 1853 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: Russia May Send Spacecraft to Knock Away Asteroid
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:13:19 PM »
Wasn't that a 100 megaton bomb?

Well that picture he linked is shown here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tsar01.jpg .

So we can pretty easily guess which bomb he's talking about. Although I don't see the relevance to the discussion at hand.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 09:17:04 PM »
Wasn't that a 100 megaton bomb?
Well the bomb design was for 100 megatons, but the one detonated was 50 megatons.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »
Well we have unmanned satellite launching programs too, in fact a majority of the satellites we put in orbit is done with unmanned launchers.
Wasn't sure, but I know the one in Brazil is larger because they get business launching satelites from corporations in Europe as well as some in US. Something about it being easier to launch from near equator

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »
Wasn't sure, but I know the one in Brazil is larger because they get business launching satelites from corporations in Europe as well as some in US. Something about it being easier to launch from near equator
Yeah it is easier at the equator, thats why theres even a company called "Sea Launch" that has a floating launch pad to launch satellites from the equator.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:34 AM »
Knowing the russians the project will be a catastriphic failure that will guide the asteroid towards earth not away from it.

Well, may be they decided there are no reason for USA to exist after 2029  :rolleyes:

btw, i wouldnt take that announcement too seriously.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Sombra

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 01:48:26 AM »
Well, the Russians picked up samples from the moon well before Humans were there....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_programme

Another major achievement of the Luna programme, with Luna 16, Luna 20 and Luna 24 spacecrafts, was the ability to collect samples of lunar soil and return them to Earth, by 1970. The program returned 0.326 kg of lunar samples. The Luna missions were the first space-exploration sample return missions to rely solely on advanced robotics.

Luna 15, also designed to return soil samples from the lunar surface, holds the significance of undergoing its mission at the same time as the historic Apollo 11 mission. Arguably a last-ditch attempt to steal thunder from the potential American success, it would have returned lunar samples to Earth before the Apollo astronauts could do so. However, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were already on the lunar surface when Luna 15 began its descent, and the spacecraft crashed into a mountain minutes later.

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »
While its almost certainly unnecessary, we (as a species) will learn a lot by trying.  It'll be good to see the Russians take the lead on this, since Nasa doesn't have the funding to attempt it themselves.  I hope they get the international support they need to get it off the ground.

Man, and I was so planning on being in Europe to watch this thing fly by us in 2029...

I guess you're right though, though its most certainly unnecessary it'll be a good learning experience. Because eventually one will come right for us...

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 07:24:19 AM »
Man, and I was so planning on being in Europe to watch this thing fly by us in 2029...

I guess you're right though, though its most certainly unnecessary it'll be a good learning experience. Because eventually one will come right for us...

Why Europe?
Is there some trajectory model that says Europe is the only place that will have the good view?
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline tassos

• Nickel Member
      • Free Warbids Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »

Living Aces High from Sep 1999 as ATZE,MrROX,and from Feb 2000 as tassos
Quit: OPEN /Google:48°58'22.40"N 10°8'15.30"E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69CquvLHgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCq22Vpa18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsVxFycRZo
Aces High be a part...

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
What are they going to send up?   300 Tons of Preperation H?

ROX

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 04:51:31 AM »
The idea being worked with is some kind of a solar-sail, which would divert the asteroid away. I don't understand why the heck they just simply don't:
1 Nook the thing out of the path.
2 Nook the thing down to dust.

The asteroid (or pile of rocks rather) is less than a qurtermile x quartermile. The fireball of the biggest H-bomb detonated was 5 miles across.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 04:57:50 AM »
The idea being worked with is some kind of a solar-sail, which would divert the asteroid away. I don't understand why the heck they just simply don't:
1 Nook the thing out of the path.
2 Nook the thing down to dust.

The asteroid (or pile of rocks rather) is less than a qurtermile x quartermile. The fireball of the biggest H-bomb detonated was 5 miles across.

I concur.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 05:34:18 AM »
It's a good idea for the international community to get the ball rolling on these types of missions.  Even if we fail here, the knowledge gained will help for future missions where failure is not an option...

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 07:57:25 AM »
Completely agree.
Anyway, is there any information about those"solar sails"?
And how does a nuke work in the voids of space?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 08:14:29 AM »
Try to nuke it in space and probably EMP the whole planet as a result. :)

Ooopps!
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone