Author Topic: Time for Mac  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Time for Mac
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
interesting, Ive never seen OSX used for that type of application before. seen a few crashed ATMs with a DOS C prompt over the years.
Yup I was surprised as well.

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
Just make sure you increase your fans. I did this and my GPU overheated. Had to spend lots of $$ getting a new one put in.
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
On and off over the past 10 years or so I've done a lot of work with MAC systems up to and including OSX. [EDIT: My guru level is still firmly "beginner" but I picked up enough, and I used the software enough to get a good working knowledge of the MAC systems.] For a specialty combination of hardware and software specifically written to interact with each other, they crash a hell of a lot more than my Win98 SE ever did, or my XP pro ever has, through multiple iterations of computers, upgrades, and hardware.

Those that say MACs don't have issues and don't crash never use them. Period. End of discussion.

I've done everything from photoshop to 3d animation and rendering to multiple types of nonlinear editing as well as effects/rendering work for said rendering.

Good GOD what I wouldn't have paid for Adobe to write FCP for the PC all those years.

That and the fact that you really couldn't do much with their 1-piece hardware sets for ludicrous prices, you basically had to throw the machine out and get another instead of having any decent upgrade options for the longest time. That's not as much the case now, but for a long time they were like gigantic over-sized laptops with regards to the hardware inside.

So, like I said, as a guy that's suffered through MACs with some fairly decent heavy use over the past years, I can say I never ever ever want to have one as my PC. Ever. I just have too much stuff to get done without suffering the aggravation, and too little time to wait through freezes, hangs, and crashes.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:20:30 PM by Krusty »

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 09:43:35 PM »
I own and use an iMac as my every day computer. It probably hasn't crashed in 3 or 4 months. I haven't rebooted the thing in 2 months. My Win7 gaming pc doesn't crash much either. I love my Mac. I have owned macs since I was a kid in the 80s. I have also always owned DOS or Windows based machines since then as well. (My dad was in the computer business in the bay area) Windows is just now catching up in the usability department IMO. I LOVE windows 7. It is a huge step forward, but I still prefer OSX for an everyday experience. It just comes down to what you like. I would say that right now both Operating Systems are equally capable. If I wasn't a gamer, I would not own a Windows machine right now, but since I am I can tell you one thing. I have pored a LOT more money into my gaming machine than I have into the mac  :lol

Honestly though, if you want to run AH on a new iMac, you will not have a problem. The I7 and a 4850 are more than enough for AH. You may have problems with some of the newer games coming out on high detail settings.

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
Got to agree with the general consensus here.

I was an EARLY mac adopter. 512K mac in 1984, then 5 more over the years. The FIRST online flight sim (AW on GEnie) started out for mac only. The mac IIci was a masterpiece of system architecture. It also cost $5K stripped.

In 2000 I switched to PC and have never looked back. W98 was a POS but XP has been fine. My relatives and in-laws are still on macs. IMO W7 is every bit as good (or bad) as OSX. Macs have less exploits only because they have less users and programs.

Pound for pound and chip for chip, macs are extremely expensive compared to PC. I wouldn't trade my i-core intel box for two macs at this point.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »
Honestly though, if you want to run AH on a new iMac, you will not have a problem. The I7 and a 4850 are more than enough for AH. You may have problems with some of the newer games coming out on high detail settings.

That's not entirely true, some of the mac drivers for Win7 have been a bit iffy (I've heard of problems where power / fan management has worked well and overheated the mac), and the I7 mac's have had some issues (OS X or Windows) around overheating. Pays to do some googling first I think.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 04:26:26 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:04:03 AM by Skuzzy »
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
my powerbook crashed yesterday for the first time in literally years, grey screen, chinese writing :uhoh

just started using a belkin KVM switch which may have been a factor, was running (as usual) CS Dreamweaver, CS Illustrator, Graphic Converter, Acrobat Pro, BBEdit, Preview, Safari, Firefox, Mail, iTunes and a couple of others. bear in mind this is a 500MHz G4 with 768MB RAM ...

anyone else using a PIII 1GHz equiv with 768MB RAM as their main work machine? :lol

edit: its 8 years old and gets chucked around in a bag every day, might also be a factor

edit: btw for comparison my 3GHz E8400 PC with 2GB RAM on XP Pro doesnt crash all the time, but certainly a couple of times a month...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:56:59 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli