Author Topic: dayton 2010 unoffical post  (Read 10369 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: dayton 2010 unoffical post
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »
Dang you all make it sound tempting...such a long drive though.  I typically make 5 hour trips every 2 weeks (5 hours one way then 3 days later turn around), but this is...14 or so in one sitting.  Anyone from North-East NC or VA Beach willing to Carpool? :D

What typically would be taken?  I don't smoke (don't see how anyone does, makes me sick) and can't drink so those are out for me. :P

I missed this earlier but If you want to drive from there to here (Clarksburg, WV - about 8 hours from VA Beach) I would be willing to drive from here to there (about 5 hours). I'll be renting a car this year.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2010, 09:32:04 AM »
I missed this earlier but If you want to drive from there to here (Clarksburg, WV - about 8 hours from VA Beach) I would be willing to drive from here to there (about 5 hours). I'll be renting a car this year.

Assuming I get the time/money, may have to take ya up on that. :D     Much as I love the Scion TC, I just can't drive that long, but 8 hours is very do-able.  Google says 7.5-8 from here; useful though, Clarksburg is only about 4 hours from Harrisonburg, VA (Drive there every 2 weeks).  Just have to hop on 33 West and it'd be easy enough to get there.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:20 AM »
Let me know, I would like to leave around 8AM Friday Morning like I did last time. It got me there a little past noon or so... So you might need to head up here on Thursday.

Just have to hop on 33 West and it'd be easy enough to get there.

Are you familiar with 33 in WV?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:55:43 AM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Will do, I'll probably be in Harrisonburg for a few days before that so I'll try to figure it all out. :)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2010, 09:56:48 AM »
Are you familiar with US33 in WV?

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »

Are you familiar with 33 in WV?

If it's anything like 250, woo hoo, hang on.  We tried that as a short cut going from Columbus to the Outer Banks last year in December.  Good thing we had 4 wheel drive.  Logging trucks were sliding off the road, snow drifts were 3-5 ft tall in places and then hit a plateau with complete white-out conditions.

Good thing you'll be traveling in July.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »
Are you familiar with US33 in WV?

In WV, no, but I know a good chunk of it in Va...confusing road.  If it's anything like the roads in Highland County VA (it's a mountain town), it'll be annoying, but do-able...but again I've never been on 33 in WV that I know of.  Is it steep or just terrible to take?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:18 AM »

If it's anything like 250, woo hoo, hang on.  We tried that as a short cut going from Columbus to the Outer Banks last year in December.  Good thing we had 4 wheel drive.  Logging trucks were sliding off the road, snow drifts were 3-5 ft tall in places and then hit a plateau with complete white-out conditions.

Good thing you'll be traveling in July.

Glad you made it ok there Dragon. When I was a kid, we lived in VA Beach and we had to take those roads all the time in the Winter for Christmas and other Holidays.

We had three choices... US250, US33 or US50. If all were snowed under we had to head all the way up to I-68 and although its an interstate it still had its fun places, where the Vis could go from 20 miles to 1 foot in seconds.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »
In WV, no, but I know a good chunk of it in Va...confusing road.  If it's anything like the roads in Highland County VA (it's a mountain town), it'll be annoying, but do-able...but again I've never been on 33 in WV that I know of.  Is it steep or just terrible to take?

Just a curvy two lane Mountain road. Always be mindful for fog.

Offline RamPytho

• Copper Member
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
Hmmm..... might come this year, girlfriend was asking about going to air show
Being ~~The Killuminati~~ bait since tour 109

from the OP post, looks like proper grammar is perked and he's all out of perks.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2010, 10:17:53 AM »
Hmmm..... might come this year, girlfriend was asking about going to air show

The more the merrier.  Where you coming from Ramta.., er RamPytho?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »
"where the Vis could go from 20 miles to 1 foot in seconds."

That sounds familiar, when Northern VA got that 26+ inches of snow not long ago I went up to to visit family and the roads had been cleared....mostly.  I-64 was one lane and that was dangerous still, there was so much snow blowing around I couldn't see in front of the car in front of me then it would randomly stop and I could see fine.  Scion barely made it up there, wasn't made for snowy roads.

Thanks for the warning about 33, always good to know what I'm up against.

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »
The more the merrier.  Where you coming from Ramta.., er RamPytho?

Whoa, wait... there's an air show too? Thought it was just a party :)

and btw Josh, if you do.. don't come to dayton  :t

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »
and btw Josh, if you do.. don't come to dayton  :t

Stop it PJ, you know those pics of you were posted on every dating site I could find within 20 minutes of me getting a hold of them  :bolt:

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
Stop it PJ, you know those pics of you were posted on every dating site I could find within 20 minutes of me getting a hold of them  :bolt:

:rofl  :lol     Any comments, yet? LOL
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||