Author Topic: Tips on la5fn  (Read 672 times)

Offline 71313

• Copper Member
Tips on la5fn
« on: January 04, 2010, 06:59:01 PM »
Hello all, been trying to learn this plane, at this time I'm having trouble  hitting my target. anyone  have any advice. thanks in advance
handle the business,before the business handles you

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
Re: Tips on la5fn
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »
Yeah bullet drop is huge on this plane. The best advice I can give is set your convergence to 250 and don't shoot until your 200 off. You can also go to the TA for aim assistance. Another tip is to fly something with a 37mm cannon say a Yak-9t it will help over all aim.

And finally don't get discouraged keep taking the plane up and your aim in it will improve.

:salute and good luck
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
The speed and handling of the La5 lets you saddle up nice and close - 200-ish.  That's where to set convergence.  The ballistics and rate of fire the guns have are not good, so don't spray and pray.  The slow rate of fire can actually help you because it lasts for a lot of kills.   If you get within 200, just start tapping the trigger until you connect.  Then pieces start flying off and finally that spixteen plummets into its well deserved final resting place.  :D

Oh, and watch out when in a fast dive.  You'll need to add in some down elevator trim when going really fast as the plane tries to lift on you.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:51 AM »
There is no difference in the cannon ballistic performance between the LA-5FN and the LA-7, "other of course, then the fact you can get 3 of them on the LA-7". The LA-7 simply had a more refined and lighter cannon firing the same round at the same velocity and same ROF.

I cant tell much of a difference between the two actually. I fly both the same and try to never get slow in one.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »
There is no difference in the cannon ballistic performance between the LA-5FN and the LA-7, "other of course, then the fact you can get 3 of them on the LA-7". The LA-7 simply had a more refined and lighter cannon firing the same round at the same velocity and same ROF.

I cant tell much of a difference between the two actually. I fly both the same and try to never get slow in one.

What?   There are two different Cannon types on the La-7.  

La-5 & La-7 - 2 x 20mm ShVAK's
La7 - 3 x 20mm Berezin B-20's

They are NOT AT ALL "the same".   The additional cannon alone changes the name of the game.

Back to the OP.   Fly the La-5 like an Emil or Friedrich 109, get in very close (less than 150) and let loose.  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:22:16 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »
Rich is correct. There is no ballistic difference between the ShVak and the Berezin.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »
Rich is correct. There is no ballistic difference between the ShVak and the Berezin.

True, but the addition of a 3rd cannon is hardly "a non issue".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 02:29:49 PM »
I use different logic on these planes.

For both the La-5 and the La-7, I have the convergence set to 350. My logic is due to the fact that the guns are not "wing" mounted but rather nose mounted (similar to the P-38), so setting the convergence out that far does not really effect my "close up" shots and allows me a certain degree of sniping runners out to D600 (if they are flying straight and level) ... I have taken out guys at D800.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."