Author Topic: Still got problems making movies  (Read 933 times)

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
Still got problems making movies
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »
Ok so I use fraps to capture my stuff from the movie maker all the saved avi's and stills look great

Then when I drop it into a movie maker I get this mess. I have all the shots ready and have tried all day to import the avi's into a viewable format. All virtdub does is sharpen the avi up,but doesnt help once its in the movie maker. I even tried upscaling a few test films after making a test movie,still nothing.

Any experienced guys out there can help?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Still got problems making movies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »
OK got a question...that first pic is AFTER FRAPitizing it right? What settings do you use? Mine's always distorted after FRAPitizing it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »
So you're using Virtual Dub and a movie maker?  What movie making program are you using, and what exported settings are you using?
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
I've decided to start again. Now I'm using videostudio Pro x2. I've rendered the stuff ive done so far (2mins 20) in 1080p HD,still pretty poor quality. I have the latest full version of fraps recording with a 120 FR and have tried both full and half screen. Also Ive been recording at half speed and running it in the videostudio at 200%. The real kick in the pants is that the titles,music,images,transitions and overlays are sublime, its let down by plain awful video quality. The shot set up is now starting to suffer due to me trying to redo a scene several times and frustration is taking its toll.

:furious :furious

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
I've done a fair bit of searching and found that the video codec used by the movie editors can cause this kind of problem. Struggling to find a workaround or fix.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:39:40 PM »
I'm kind of a fan of the WMV codec for ease of use and it's pretty good quality.  Without knowing what the compression/codec/import settings you're using on your movie making programs, I really can't help you.  Sounds like you're taking the correct steps to capture high quality footage with Fraps, it must be your output settings in the movie maker, either codec or bitrate.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
Mine did the same thing. I had it set to e-mail quality...very small pixel count. I wasn't impressed with frap, went back to AHS. If I can get them to play afterward it will be great.   :headscratch:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
right,film is completed,can't post it as it is currently 1.67 GB. Even with a mediafire subscription it is taking half a day to upload. The film is only about 8 minutes but has a lot going on,is there a way to reduce the file size without shortening the movie?

EDIT: got it sorted, will post film after squad gets first view
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:43:45 PM by minke »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
right,film is completed,can't post it as it is currently 1.67 GB. Even with a mediafire subscription it is taking half a day to upload. The film is only about 8 minutes but has a lot going on,is there a way to reduce the file size without shortening the movie?

EDIT: got it sorted, will post film after squad gets first view
I'm eager to see your results.  Your description points to a codec related issue.  As a note, my tutorial video was ~28 minutes and came in at 125mb or so.  I rendered it at 970i HD quality.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »
Yup! Keep playing with it. I did the AVI then used Movavi 8 converter, then windows movie maker, then burned to a CD, then reloaded back on my PC because windows movie maker files are incompatible with everything except burning onto a disk, then it went on You Tube.   :O  Lots of steps...
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »
More compressing and converting of codecs will yield lower quality videos.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
OK got a question...that first pic is AFTER FRAPitizing it right? What settings do you use? Mine's always distorted after FRAPitizing it.
Would really like to know how to make a nice HD video out of the film viewer...:(
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
More compressing and converting of codecs will yield lower quality videos.

That's what I thought except after I convert to MPEG, it looks a lot better than it did in avi....? I'm not saying that I know why.  :rolleyes:
WildWzl

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »
Without being as detailed as possible, we can't get to the bottom of this problem.  I need to know exactly what programs you're using, what buttons you're selecting to export and what settings for the codec you're using (resolution, bitrate, etc).

And it depends on what MPEG codec you're using (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 etc)and what codec of AVI you're using (there's a lot).

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Without being as detailed as possible, we can't get to the bottom of this problem.  I need to know exactly what programs you're using, what buttons you're selecting to export and what settings for the codec you're using (resolution, bitrate, etc).

And it depends on what MPEG codec you're using (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 etc)and what codec of AVI you're using (there's a lot).
basically I save the AH film in avi, no decompression, max resolution, can't make it play anywhere with any other setting, convert it in mpeg with Movavi suite 8, no 2,3, or 4, just mpeg. Then use windows movie maker. I convert it first, because I couldn't get Movie Maker to recognize AVI...? don't know why? Then Burn to CD then it can go back to windows mMeadia Player or You-Tube either. Need more info? Be simple and specific 'cause I ain't not PC tech.   :D
WildWzl