Author Topic: Terrorists 1 rest of the world 0  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Terrorists 1 rest of the world 0
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
I dont know if im in this "group" but that was not my intention when I replied quoting you on page 1.

No worries.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
Why am I not surprised?   Throw up the "Blind Bats Bat Signal" and get more to post in this, please.  

Agree.

Actually that has nothing to do with it, Im just confused at what your point might be.

You called it flamebaiting, I would think its a topic that could actually foster an intelligent discussion.

Happily im my own person, capable of making my own decisions. If i thought a squadie ( or anyone else )was wrong, I would have no second thoughts on posting my opinion in a respectable manner, something i believe your capable of, just chose not to do.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:18:28 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 11:51:43 AM »
Every single "countermeasure" put in place to make you feel safer has been purely reactionary and hasn't prevented one single episode.  When I see hundreds of people standing in line with their shoes in one hand and their underwear in the other I will know that the terrorists have won.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
I'd happily patrol our nation's freeways, calling in airstrikes on drunk and other reckless drivers...  Set up snipers on overpasses to shoot people texting while driving, use our EW assets to jam cellphones on freeways when there is a lot of traffic or during bad weather.  Really attack the problem of motor vehicle deaths with even a fraction of the effort we've put into chasing a bunch of losers through the mountains of Afghanistan, and we could see some really good results.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
That number should be bigger, about 5000+ bigger

:salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
Every single "countermeasure" put in place to make you feel safer has been purely reactionary and hasn't prevented one single episode.

How do you know they haven't prevented a subsequent incident?
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »
How do you know they haven't prevented a subsequent incident?

What makes you think they have?  I t is a simple, verifiable FACT that every so-called counter measure is a hyper-reactive knee-jerk reaction to a perceived threat.  The next time you're standing in line for two hours at the airport with your shoes in one hand and your skivies in the other, think about the absolutely porous southern border and a well-place surplus TOW missile a half a mile from the end of the runway.  Silly rules that make women and pansies feel safe do not stop terrorists; they only interfere with the liberties and freedom of honest citizens.

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
Every single "countermeasure" put in place to make you feel safer has been purely reactionary and hasn't prevented one single episode.  When I see hundreds of people standing in line with their shoes in one hand and their underwear in the other I will know that the terrorists have won.

That is an absurd statement, can't be verified and I doubt even cited from a credible source.  Even before 911 you had to go through a security check to get on an airplane, which involved at least a metal detector.  The Israeli airlines El Al hasn't had a terrorist incident and they have very rigorous security checks.

I agree the security checks are a pain in the bellybutton and will even concede many are worthless.  Checking grandma over a 30 y/o single male is idiotic and political correctness is a serious hindrance.  Calling it taking away of my freedom is a stretch though.  You have the right not to fly.  I willing to suffer the inconvenience if there is an off chance it might deter some nut.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2010, 05:10:16 PM »
Anyone who would give up freedom in order to ensure security deserves neither.  The best way to ensure safety on airliners is to allow open carry.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2010, 05:17:44 PM »
What makes you think they have?

You're right--there are hypothetical situations out there that can get around what's in place right now.  For the most part, we think of them while we are being inconvenienced after running late to the airport.  However, I have actual knowledge of specific security measures that are in place that prevented and/or deterred subsequent attacks.  You think those killers would give up such an efficient weapon so easily?  After seeing the success of those attacks, they tried everything to test our ability to prevent them from doing so again.  The long line at the metal detector isn't the only thing going on out there.  Its merely the only one that impacts most of us.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
I'd happily patrol our nation's freeways, calling in airstrikes on drunk and other reckless drivers...  Set up snipers on overpasses to shoot people texting while driving, use our EW assets to jam cellphones on freeways when there is a lot of traffic or during bad weather.  Really attack the problem of motor vehicle deaths with even a fraction of the effort we've put into chasing a bunch of losers through the mountains of Afghanistan, and we could see some really good results.

Well someone has there head up there butt, what does the idiots that talk on their cell have anything to do with terrorist?
When is an Americans right to live and pursue happiness end and begin?
Yes we need to do more about the morons who cause accidents but they are no way in connection with stopping terrorism.
Raise the driving age to 21 along with stiffer punishments for driving like a moron, wait you might be a high school student and you have been brainwashed by the public stupidity system so I will cut you a little slack.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:56:25 PM by Gr8pape »
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »
You're right--there are hypothetical situations out there that can get around what's in place right now.  For the most part, we think of them while we are being inconvenienced after running late to the airport.  However, I have actual knowledge of specific security measures that are in place that prevented and/or deterred subsequent attacks.  You think those killers would give up such an efficient weapon so easily?  After seeing the success of those attacks, they tried everything to test our ability to prevent them from doing so again.  The long line at the metal detector isn't the only thing going on out there.  Its merely the only one that impacts most of us.

As soon as airline passengers figured out that cooperating with hijackers is the wrong thing to do, airplanes stopped being an effective weapon.  NOW... Blowing up random airplanes will always be an effective way to scare people but the last time a hijacked airliner was/will be used as a weapon was 09/11/2001.  BUT... Blowing up airplanes doesn't have to be done from inside the airplane.

Guy puts flammable liquid on airplane... no liquids allowed on airplanes.  Guy puts explosives in shoes... all shoes have to be removed and examined.   Guy puts explosives in underwear... all passengers must undergo xray screening.  It would be hilarious if it were a fictitious joke.  In some cave somewhere Osama is laughing his arse off wondering what he can get us to do next...

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
As soon as airline passengers figured out that cooperating with hijackers is the wrong thing to do, airplanes stopped being an effective weapon.  NOW... Blowing up random airplanes will always be an effective way to scare people but the last time a hijacked airliner was/will be used as a weapon was 09/11/2001.  BUT... Blowing up airplanes doesn't have to be done from inside the airplane.

Guy puts flammable liquid on airplane... no liquids allowed on airplanes.  Guy puts explosives in shoes... all shoes have to be removed and examined.   Guy puts explosives in underwear... all passengers must undergo xray screening.  It would be hilarious if it were a fictitious joke.  In some cave somewhere Osama is laughing his arse off wondering what he can get us to do next...

Just about every rule that exists in society is a direct result of someone doing something that no one else expected.  The American public would not have consented to all of these measures if 9/11 had never happened.  We'd still be eating with real knives and forks in first class, and bringing the Cosco sized bottles of hand lotion on board.  The HSA and TSA wouldn't even exist.  So, really, saying that the rules are reactionary is merely a truism.

HiTech

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »
Some make it sound as though terrorism only started on 9/11, sorry but other countries we fighting terrorism a long time before this sad event. Not trying to play down the tragic events of 9/11 just that so many never thought of the hardships others have endured for years.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »
Some make it sound as though terrorism only started on 9/11, sorry but other countries we fighting terrorism a long time before this sad event. Not trying to play down the tragic events of 9/11 just that so many never thought of the hardships others have endured for years.

Truer words have never been spoken.     :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC