Author Topic: Animated graphic size limit  (Read 839 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Animated graphic size limit
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 10:38:29 AM »
In this case, KB means kilobit, with an actual max transfer rate of about 40-50 kbit/s depending on circumstances.

At 40kbit effective data rate, a 100kbyte file would take ~20 seconds to load.

We need a pie chart to btter convey this Lusche.   Correct though, roughly 20 seconds.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »
We need a pie chart to btter convey this Lusche.

Please do not make it to graphic intensive! :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »
In this case, KB means kilobit, with an actual max transfer rate of about 40-50 kbit/s depending on circumstances.

At 40kbit effective data rate, a 100kbyte file would take ~20 seconds to load.

Damn......That's slow, just indescribably slow.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 03:00:44 AM »
I wonder where in the world you have to be inorder to not be able to get anything better then a 56k modem.

I also wonder how in their right mind someone on a 56k modem can think that the world should evolve around them in the year 2010....

Tex

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 08:42:16 AM »
BE, you might look into Opera.  It's been a very old friend since the days of using a modem because you can easily switch the d/l of graphics on and off with a hotkey.

I realize that that's a "Baldy-fix", rather than a global fix - but frankly, I think you'll find it very useful.  I was monitoring bandwidth utilization at work and found that one user opening SI.COM would chew through almost a T's worth of bandwidth - just the cycling graphic's alone.

The assumption these days is that everyone has cable.  Opera will let you sail through the muddied waters with getting stuck in the muck.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »
I'm on cable and have been for over seven years.  I just mentioned dial-up for those who might still be there.  I know there were several AHers on dial-up as recently as 2009.

My problem is my old Vaio is only a 650 Mhz PIII with 256 Mb of RAM (most the motherboard will accomodate) and a whopping 6 Mb of video RAM (circa 2000).  That won't change anytime soon as I've been out of work for the past eight months.

Still, it surfs the web well (it's primary purpose and in fact, where I do most of my web surfing), plays Youtube videos and Netflix movies without a problem and handles all the Flash and Java content out there without issue.  It just seems to choke on big animated gifs.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion.  I've lived with it this long I suppose I can live with it a while longer.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
Why can't you just turn off animations in your browser preferences?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »
Why can't you just turn off animations in your browser preferences?
Because turning off the animations doesn't cause the browser to load only a part of the graphic - and try browsing the web these days with graphics disabled. So many sites assume that people have the ability to view the graphics - without them, you often cannot navigate.  

And I hear you BE - but the truth of the matter is that excluding the avatars the graphics on the forum are linked from another site - HTC has little to no way to control how large they are (short of disabling the ability to link. which would essentially force them to 0).

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue