Author Topic: "Disabling advanced graphics settings"  (Read 945 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
"Disabling advanced graphics settings"
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:58:56 AM »
This started just recently.  I'll log into an arena and within a few seconds I get a message saying disabling advanced graphics settings, however, they're not disabled at all, I just have to go into the settings and turn everything back on.  Sometimes the horizon refuses to show even though it's on in the settings but if I exit AH and reload, everything is fine, no "disabling..." message.

Why does this happen?  What triggers the event in the first place?

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: "Disabling advanced graphics settings"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »
IIRC this happens when your frame rates drop too low.  AH will now turn off advanced options automatically to bring them back up to par.

I know on my old system, for the first 5-10 seconds rates would be at 5-6FPS until everything was loaded.. then jump up to 40-50 (this was before the latest couple updates)... personally I blame my old hard drive for that I think it was on its way out... and wasn't that fast at full health anyway..

I think you have a similar issue going on... perhaps the Skuzzinator can help with this... seems like I remember there being some sort of workaround for this.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »
If your frame rate drops too low for 10 seconds, the game disables the "Detailed Terrain" option to improve performance.

If your computer is taking longer than 10 seconds to stabilize, then there is more than a fair chance it really should not be running with the "Detailed Terrain" option enabled.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
At 1600x1200 with everything turned on and the hires pack installed I get 60fps and have done for a looooong time.  After receiving this message I still get 60fps, turning everything it turns off back on still gives me 60fps.

And this message appears within a few seconds of logging in, it's usually the 2nd or 3rd thing I see in the text buffer, nowhere near 10 seconds.  Are there any other events that trigger it?

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »
Glad you asked this question Swoop. Same thing started happening to me also.
Lighten up Francis

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
Has happened to me a time or 3 as well.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline bq82

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »
I had the same thing happen last night. Framerate went below 20. I heard two or three others on range channel say the same thing it happened to them. I don't think my settings changed at all and after the message my framerate went back up and stayed that way the rest of the night.

:airplane:

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
Mine has been doing this since the last update.  I think it is pre-loading textures . . . not entirely sure.  During this time, the terrain begins all white, and slowly fills in.  Frame rates from 1 to 6 during this.  After everything the computer settles, I can go back and turn on detailed water and detailed terrain, and the FRs range from as low as the high 30s near the ground and 60+ at altitude.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
Well reading this, I have some hopes that it might not be my brand new compooper, that might not have a decent vid card.  I highly doubt it, but I can hope.   :pray
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »
Iv e gotten it a few times. I will say that in the last 3 weeks ive seen it taking longer to get up to full Frame Rates(60fps) after initial login while in tower. No hardware or driver changes on my end.

KAM

Offline Jouster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
same thing here. and it didn't happen until this last update. and once it stabilizes Im seeing frame rates back up in the 200+ fps range(disabled vsync to get these #s), which I used to have even at startup, no matter what else is going on. (heavy combat etc.) but on startup I get 6 to 10 fps.
Watching you get on my six with my dead cat like reflexes.

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
mine was doing this untill i realized you had to download hi res texture pack after you updated the game (if youre running it of course) since i did that all has been well.
hope this helped,
shotdown.
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
Frame rate of 200+ ?? Dang, I need a new puter...  :eek:
TheStig

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »
Disabling vsync for testing purposes is fine.  Be sure to re-enable it after testing and do not play the game with that disabled.

When testing my home computer it never gets below 180FPS, with everything enabled.  It typically runs around 290 to 340FPS when playing online.  Going fresh into an arena it is instantly above 200FPS.  I consider my hardware to be somewhat average for a system today.  Windows XP, Intel E8400, 2GB of system RAM, ATI 4850 video card with 512MB of RAM, Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and so on.

Overall, it is just a lean, clean, system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com