Author Topic: Caught my son flying with the Muppets!  (Read 2605 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Caught my son flying with the Muppets!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
 Great to hear Dan. :aok

Most the muppets are really OK,just stay away from the cookie monster.......... :devil

:salute

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 10:48:19 AM »
OMG what a cute kid, congrats dan

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 11:47:51 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words.  I'm very proud of Matthew and look for any chance to show him off :)

As for the story.  For those that have heard it, my apologies for boring you again.  I'll try and keep it short  But I do like to brag about my wife too :)

After we lost our son and daughter in the car wreck in August 2005 it became very tough to be anywhere near home in August.  We managed to be away the next two years.  In 2008 I couldn't plan anything due to work obligations.  My wife went looking for something she could do during that time.  She is a nurse with both ER and Labor & Delivery experience.  She volunteered for a mission trip to Liberia for the month of August 2008.  She figured since Liberia was just out of 16 years of civil war, they would have some understanding of grief, and it seemed a good place to try and help.

So she ended up at a little hospital in the middle of nowhere, called Phebe.  Not a hospital to our standards as it had no running water, limited time for electricity, no food, little medication etc.  But she was able to teach nursing while working alongside the other staff at Phebe.  She saw lots of bad things there but also was able to literally save some lives.  On August 20th, which also was our anniversary she took care of a young mother who had brought in her baby.  The little boy had a bilateral cleft lip and pallet.  The mother was not able to breast feed the baby.  Cathy helped her express milk and got her to use it to get some food into the little one.  There was no formula at the hospital so it was up to the family.  Cathy then admitted them to the pediatric unit.  The little boy was 4 days old. 

On the 25th of August Cathy went to work in Labor and Delivery.  Again not like we know it, but a place where the most difficult births are handled.  Infant mortality in Liberia is about 1 in 5.  She helped the midwife on four births, of which 2 kids died and one mother.  Cathy also saw that the little boy and mom were still there.

On the 26th she came back to L&D and happened to look into the closet that was used as the Peds ICU.  The little boy was still there but the mom was gone.  The boy was being fed sugar water through a tube in his nose.  The tube was covered with ants and the little guy was soaked up to his neck in urine.  When she asked what had happened, she was told the father had come and told the mother that it was really not their baby.  The village elders had told them an evil spirit had switched the baby at 3 months.  This explained the birth defects.  Tradition in that case had the baby then being placed in a tree for the animals to eat or buried alive to kill the evil spirit.  The nurses had talked the mom out of this but they had fled leaving the little guy behind.  The nurses were using the sugar water to keep his tummy died until he died.

In typical of my wife fashion, she said "I want him."   They looked at her like she was nuts,  Why would she want such an ugly baby.  She couldn't explain it, but she just did.  She fell in love with him in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile our hero is back in Minnesota sitting on his backside wondering how he's going to get through August 28th which is the anniversary of the kids dying.  In general I was feeling quite sorry for myself.  Cathy has no phone to call, just intermittent e-mail.  On the 27th I get an e-mail saying she is having a hard time writing with a baby in her arms.  She explains that this little guy has gotten into her heart and asking what we should do.

Our hero sitting on his duff reading his e-mail while the Mrs. is working her tail off, replies, bring him home, that's our son.  We couldn't save our two kids but we can save this one and give him a chance and give us a purpose again. 

Easier said then done, but after all kinds of haggling with Liberian police & courts, homeland security, USCIS etc, we finally got Matthew into the US on a Humanitarian parole on September 11, 2008, which was also the birthday of our daughter Christina who had died in the accident.  Matthew went right into the hospital where he spent the next two weeks.  Since then he's had surgery seven times to correct his lip and pallet, his stomach and to put in cochlear implants as it turned out Matthew is deaf as well.  It took about 16 months but we finally got the US adoption finalized on December 24, 2009 so he's officially ours.  But he was ours from the second Cathy saw him that day.  He's a great little guy and as Shuff said, as much as we might have 'saved' him, he certainly 'saved' Cathy and I.

Yeah I like to brag about my little guy and my best girl :)

Matthew when Cathy first found him and got him cleaned up a bit.

Mathew now

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »
It's great to hear this story again Dan.  Words can't express what you and your wife have given little Matthew and what he has given you.  I'm glad to see he's recovering well from the surgeries and looks like he's going to be a handful.  Oh and great name too  :rock :rock :rock, be sure to tell him that it's Hebrew meaning is gift of the Lord, kinda fitting for the little guy.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »
Congrats and well done Guppy! :)

A few more people like you and your missus and the world would be a much better place.  :)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »
I've never heard the story, Dan.  Profoundly touching.  There is nothing that can be said that would do such a story justice.  I'm looking forward to future updates so we can enjoy watching him grow with you.   
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
I've never heard the story, Dan.  Profoundly touching.  There is nothing that can be said that would do such a story justice.  I'm looking forward to future updates so we can enjoy watching him grow with you.   

Same here first time read, after wiping the tears away im truely touched, and at a loss for words. <S> Dan
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »
Quite obviously a young man of taste and refinement . 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
Quite obviously a young man of taste and refinement . 

Heyyyyy... hope things are going your way bud!!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »
wtg corky! cool kid!, my half bro had a cleft palate too at birth, hospitals fixed him up good hardly noticeable anymore when he got a little older. maybe someday ur boy will be a NBA or NFL star! god bless ur wife for having a heart to take him in her arms. <S>!
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
What is his call sign?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:22 PM »
I didn't know about any of that Dan.  Wow is all I can say.  It's strange how redemption can come to you from the strangest places.  I hope he's a joy to you and your wife for the rest of your lives. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
What is his call sign?

I'd say either "Lucky" or "Blessed1".

Hmmm maybe we should all make suggestions. Dan and his Better Half can print them out, select their favorites, then let young Matt pick one out.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 02:00:51 PM »
Wow is all I can say. Thanks for sharing and for caring.

Best to you and family.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
Guppy, I cannot imagine what grief you and the Mrs. have suffered. My heart is so heavy. I just ache for you.

What you and the Mrs. have done will forever vault you to my highest respect and the respect all, I am sure.

Bless you!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter