Author Topic: Caught my son flying with the Muppets!  (Read 2602 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Caught my son flying with the Muppets!
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »
dude...that brought a smile to my face. i think it's the first pics you've posted with him smiling.

:aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »
All I can say is WOW! Big <<S>> Dan and Cathy :aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:55 AM »
dude...that brought a smile to my face. i think it's the first pics you've posted with him smiling.

:aok

This is truly a profound observation.  Just think, that very human being had a tube in his stomach crawling with ants (and that was a gesture of mercy so that he wouldn't be eaten by wild animals) and now he smiles.  Truly priceless.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:41:08 AM by SunBat »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 12:42:22 AM »
You can see Elmo's thoughts in that picture....  "Oh crap, he is going to prang this thing just like dad!

Thanks for sharing +Tiff, and congratulations on the new family member!

Money

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 01:19:16 AM »
This is truly a profound observation.  Just think, that very human being had a tube in his stomach crawling with ants (and that was a gesture of mercy so that he wouldn't be eaten by wild animals) and now he smiles.  Truly priceless.

The really sad part is he's just one of many many kids.  The only reason we were able to get him out is that he was dying.  Had he not had the health issues that were immediate, he would be like lots of other kids there suffering from lack of food.  They put the clamps on adoption as to the powers that be the orphans were their 'future work force".  That and there was enough illegal trafficing that no adoptions are allowed.  Because Cathy found him and there was no orphanage involved, we were able to work around the system.  In the end the US system was the bigger pain, but we finally got that done too.

In the hospital where Cathy was working there was a room that was labeled the "Play Room".  It in fact was the room where they brought the starving kids.  Cathy still doesn't think she was supposed to see it, but she brought a family there and when she went in, it was just a long dark room with little ones.  They were not moving as they didn't have the energy.  She said the room went on and on and all she saw were eyes looking at her, but no movement and no sound.

The people there, once Cathy said she wanted Matthew and this was going to happen, went from avoiding him to getting caught up in the story as he was going to be the exception and get out of there to America.  Unlike so many of the kids he was getting a chance.

Breaks my heart to think of all the other little ones like him that don't get a chance.   Not sure what to do about it :(

Again, thanks for all the kind words.  We don't feel like we've done anything that other folks wouldn't do in the same situation.  I do thank my wife every day for finding Matthew though.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
I've never heard the story, Dan. 

+1

Amazing.  No other word for it.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
I cannot imagine losing 'any' of my kids.
What a great story. Absolutely love that 2nd picture of him. What a cute, happy looking boy!  :aok
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
The really sad part is he's just one of many many kids.  The only reason we were able to get him out is that he was dying.  Had he not had the health issues that were immediate, he would be like lots of other kids there suffering from lack of food.  They put the clamps on adoption as to the powers that be the orphans were their 'future work force".  That and there was enough illegal trafficing that no adoptions are allowed.  Because Cathy found him and there was no orphanage involved, we were able to work around the system.  In the end the US system was the bigger pain, but we finally got that done too.

In the hospital where Cathy was working there was a room that was labeled the "Play Room".  It in fact was the room where they brought the starving kids.  Cathy still doesn't think she was supposed to see it, but she brought a family there and when she went in, it was just a long dark room with little ones.  They were not moving as they didn't have the energy.  She said the room went on and on and all she saw were eyes looking at her, but no movement and no sound.

The people there, once Cathy said she wanted Matthew and this was going to happen, went from avoiding him to getting caught up in the story as he was going to be the exception and get out of there to America.  Unlike so many of the kids he was getting a chance.

Breaks my heart to think of all the other little ones like him that don't get a chance.   Not sure what to do about it :(

Again, thanks for all the kind words.  We don't feel like we've done anything that other folks wouldn't do in the same situation.  I do thank my wife every day for finding Matthew though.

Yes, it is heartbreaking to know that this kind of thing is happening in the world.  You made a difference for one of them though.  I was reminded of this story that many of us have probably heard.  I think it applies to this story very well. 

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:13 AM »
 :salute  Keep him away from Burt and Ernie. :t
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 02:52:30 AM »
Contraz Dan! :cheers:

The second picture is fantastic, what a cheeky smile!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:56:06 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
To reiterate what Guppy has posted adopting children or a child is very rewarding.  My youngest Son is adopted.  We had 3 children already from

previous marriages.  My adoption was not as involved as Dans' it was done in state and county.  The gist of it was that he was just not wanted by his parents.

We wanted him and adopted him at the age of one.   Considering I was learning to change diapers again in 1990 at the age of 40 I think I did very well.  He doesn't like sports,

I do....we both love music....and now to make a long story short he is a junior at Youngstown State University.  His GPA is 4.14 and never takes less the 22 hours a Semester.

He works weekends part time (he doesn't have to) as a Waiter. We invested wisely when he was young to enable to cover his college tuition when he was ready.

He is studying to be an Anesthesiologist.  For Christmas as a joke I purchased some material to make an Anaesthesiologists starter kit which was a brief case and three

ball peened hammers of varying sizes (light anaesthetic, medium, and heavy ) as I explained it to him as he opened his present.

He is mine!  I love him as deeply as I love my other children.  He has rewarded me by being a fine young man who is caring, intelligent and respectful

Adopting is very very rewarding.  I am deeply thankful that the good Lord enabled us to do so.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »
One last thing sir, my children are involved in "The Smile Train"...if you get a moment, take a look at the video on Youtube....it will make you and your wife smile in a way only you two will understand.

www.smiletrain.org

V/r

Changeup
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:52:11 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 06:13:24 PM »
One last thing sir, my children are involved in "The Smile Train"...if you get a moment, take a look at the video on Youtube....it will make you and your wife smile in a way only you two will understand.

www.smiletrain.org

V/r

Changeup
Dewd looked the place over . Set aside desire for a new stick for awhile . I can't do what Dan did but I sure felt small not doing what I can .
PS you are  blowing your cover man !
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:15:21 PM by hlbly »

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »
 :lol :salute
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 12:26:28 AM »

www.smiletrain.org

V/r

Changeup

There was a group at Phebe to do cleft surgeries about 8 months before my wife was there by herself.  They also were from Minnesota so we ended up having some contact with them.  They were surprised at how few clefts there were and ended up doing other surgeries instead.  Of course the answer was that the cleft kids were, as mentioned on that website, seen as evil spirits etc and more often then not, killed or left to die.  Cathy talked about how she didn't see any other people with birth defects outside of one young adult, who was considered an outcast.

It's a tough one to ponder from my comfortable home in the US.  But the cold hard realities of that kind of world, leaves little place for kids who can't keep up :(

Watching Matthew grow, and seeing what a spark of life he has, it again makes me feel for those kids who never got the chance to show that life.  The world is a better place with my little man in it.

Matthew the night before his surgery and the day after.  His surgeon was amazing.  Also an Army Doc who did Matthew's lip right before deploying to Afghanistan and did the pallet right after he got back.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters