Author Topic: 109K cornering speed?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
109K cornering speed?
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »
Sorry, I will flood this forum with questions.

First, I am assuming cornering speed is the speed at which an aircraft gets the most bang for the buck. In other words, the speed at which you loose the least E/while turning...My definition is likely incorrect, so someone correct me please.

Second, what is the cornering speed for the BF 109K.

Papa
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: 109K cornering speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »
best speed to turn with the most DGR (degrees per second) would be around 250 for both the k4 and the g14.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
Thank you Sir, and thanks for swiftly killing me yesterday :) Is there a list of DGRs for all A/C in game?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:26:28 PM by papjohns »
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Thank you Sir, and thanks for swiftly killing me yesterday :) Is there a list of DGRs for all A/C in game?

Ask snailman, he is the king of charts! (snailman this is your cue, bust it out!) :)
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
Ask snailman, he is the king of charts! (snailman this is your cue, bust it out!) :)

:lol
Sorry, can't help this time.
The most recent turn data list is now almost 4 years old, lots of planes missing, It was made by Mosq, maybe you can find a link in older posts, all I found are dead now.

But with Badboy's bootstrap calculator, you could do a revised, complete list... takes just a few hours of flying in circles ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:10:54 PM »
the speed at which you loose the least E/while turning...My definition is likely incorrect, so someone correct me please.

You will actually lose lots of E at corner velocity due to high drag, but you will have the best turn rate. You can only stay close to corner velocity a few secs, since the drag rapidly slows you down, the engine simply can't keep up. (You can of course compensate by pointing nose down in turn)

It's typical usage is for quick reversal after a merge in a 1v1 dogfight.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:12:34 PM by lengro »
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »
Yea, like lengro said I think you only want to use that on your merge. The plane will preform great at all speeds but you need to do alittle extra work on the throttle/stick/rudder then pretty much all the planes in the game. :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
To "maintain" corner speed in the K4 for more than one 360 deg turn you need to drop the nose with rudder...you tread lightly on the bottom rudder to gently drop the nose. The goal is to reduce your altitude drop to a little as possible while maintaining corner speed.

The reason one would want to do this is in the case of fighting a better turning plane who is fast. The Kia4 is a perfect example.

The Ki84 is fast and has close to the climb of a 109 and it can easily out turn a k4 while fast (over 250 mph). When in a tail chase after reversing, for example. the ki84 will want to just spiral down for speed and then go flat at corner to simple out turn the k4 who is slower.

So the K4 follows and gets to corner speed. To create a gun solution the K4 will have to cut nose down (yoyo) into the ki84's turn. The problem is the Ki84 can pull out of guns which brings us to the "why would you stay at corner speed" question.

The answer is it allows you to pull low and hi yoyo's into guns on the Ki84. It also forces the ki84 to pull g's to avoid your guns. At some point the Ki84 will try to reverse which is what your waiting for. You keep the pressure on by forcing guns and when he goes for the reverse you have the energy begin a verticle rolling scissor at which point you drop out of corner speed and begin throttle/flaps to make a close crossing kill shot.

If the bandit has corner speed and you do as well and you just drop out into hard maneuvering for scissors the Ki84 is going to be on you like a zeek in 5 seconds.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:11:08 AM »
Try this:

Your best turn rates are:
We get 30.6 deg/sec @ 243 MPH clean
and 36/sec @ 206 MPH with full flaps.

Your sustained turn rates:
19.6 deg/sec @ 165 MPH Clean
19.5 deg/sec @ 124 MPH Full flaps.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »
Sorry, I will flood this forum with questions.

First, I am assuming cornering speed is the speed at which an aircraft gets the most bang for the buck. In other words, the speed at which you loose the least E/while turning...My definition is likely incorrect, so someone correct me please.

Second, what is the cornering speed for the BF 109K.

Papa

papjohns your not flying an equation matey just get out there and fight and practice you'll find what your looking for without the need for a chart good luck  :salute

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »
Try this:

Your best turn rates are:
We get 30.6 deg/sec @ 243 MPH clean
and 36/sec @ 206 MPH with full flaps.

Your sustained turn rates:
19.6 deg/sec @ 165 MPH Clean
19.5 deg/sec @ 124 MPH Full flaps.

How did you get flaps out at 206 MPH? the flaps don't drop until your under 200 mph IAS?

==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
How did you get flaps out at 206 MPH? the flaps don't drop until your under 200 mph IAS?

i think its 180  :headscratch:

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 06:30:50 PM »

Must not be on the deck then, that could be TAS with the IAS being lower.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
Those figures are calculated and do not take into account the actual aircrafts flap deployment max speed. 
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 02:48:40 AM »
The diagram is just about spot on.

Its true that you have to be below 200 mph ACTUAL airspeed (red needle) to get flaps out. You can get out 1 notch at 190 but the second and third notch wont come out unitl 180 or less.

One thing the diagram does not sho is the "potential" to maintain said turn rate or radius by means of shallow hi and low yoyo's