Author Topic: Third Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Sign-up *HERE*  (Read 7920 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Third Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Sign-up *HERE*
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
It's time to sign up for BaldEagl's THIRD TRI-ANNUAL ACES HIGH II ONE-ON-ONE BRACKET CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT.

While there have been requests for extending the quarterfinal, semifinal and final rounds the format remains the same; best of three.  I truly believe this adds to the “any given Sunday” effect and diversifies final outcomes.

If you're in state so clearly and list your in-game handle even if it's the same as your BBs name.  If you’re signing up a friend or squaddie post both their in-game and BBS names.

If you don't know what it's about (I'm not sure how you could have missed it) the inaugural tournament thread is here:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,269285.0.html and the second tournament thread is here:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,275270.0.html .  I’ve removed all the interim brackets from the first tournament so you’ll find the final and completed bracket near the end of the thread.  I will be removing all the interim brackets from the second tournament at the conclusion of this one, again leaving only the final bracket.  Congrats to moot on winning the inaugural tournament and to JB11 on winning the second.

Signup will run for two weeks (well, plus one day this time.  Since it’s football playoffs I’m posting a day early).  You have until midnight central time Sunday, January 31 to get involved.

I will periodically post an updated roster in this thread.  Please check in to make sure I haven’t made a mistake in your in-game or BBs name or your status regarding the tournament.

Once sign-up is completed I will start a new thread in the General Discussion forums titled “Third Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket & Results”.  That is where you’ll find your match-ups and post results of your duels.

As always I encourage players of all skill levels to get involved.  Since initial match-ups are by random draw you never know who or what you're going to get.  Plus... "on any given Sunday..."  If you do match up against someone better than you they might even teach you a few tricks after the official duels.  At any rate you’ll have some film to dissect, maybe meet a new friend and having some fun at the same time.

I have made minor tweaks to the rules (posted below) in particular clarifying how I fill the initial bracket and regarding player name changes and forfeiture (discos and posting regarding attempting to arrange a duel).  Please read and understand the rules.  Remember there is a requirement that the winner of the duel series post films for the community’s enjoyment from the quarterfinal round forward.  As always posting films during earlier rounds is encouraged as long as both participants agree.

In a departure from the last tournament I will not run multiple rounds simultaneously this time so not everyone will have a first round duel.  After the first week everyone will be in play every week until they are eliminated.

Finally, I need four volunteers for the review committee, three regulars and an alternate should one of the regulars not be available.  The review committee is responsible for reviewing film should there be a dispute during the tournament and need to be available to make a decision within 48 hours of the week’s dueling round closing (from midnight Sunday to midnight Tuesday).  While there was some committee activity during the first tournament there was only a single stand-by situation during the second so you may or may not be needed.  Being on the review committe doesn't disqualify you from participating in the tournament.  Likewise, you don't have to participate in the tournament to join the committee.

Here are the rules:

- Brackets will be determined by random draw of names produced by a random number generator in MS Excel.
- If the number of players exceeds a full round I will work them into the bracket although they will have to fly one more round than other players.  They will be those chosen randomly and disbursed evenly through pre-selected slots in the bracket to achieve balance at the nearest bracket root(s).
-   If a player changes their in-game or BBs name during the tournament they must either post that change in the bracket and results thread or PM me with the change.
- Duels must be arranged between the players by PM, IM, e-mail or other means to take place by midnight CST/CDT Sunday following each bracket update (6 days).
- Duels will be best of three.
- First duel plane selection will be assigned using a random number generator to select from all available fighter and fighter/attack aircraft (except the Me163 and Me262).  This will be done individually for each set of duelers.
- The loser of each duel selects the aircraft for the next duel.  This allows the loser to pick his/her best aircraft to get back into contention and if it goes three rounds each player will have had one plane selection.
- All duels will take place in the DA canyon area.
- All duels will be 25% fuel load out with player’s choice of gun package and convergence.
- All merges will be guns cold (no firing until you have passed your opponent's 3/9 line).
- All merges will be co-alt at 10K until within icon range at which point a merge break can begin.  In addition all players shall observe a 10K ceiling at all times prior to the merge.
- Anything goes after the initial merge.
- In the case of a draw (both run out of fuel for instance) that duel will be re-fought using the same aircraft.
- In the case of a collision:
   * If only one player collides (only one gets the collision message) the duel continues.
   * If both players collide (both get the collision message) the duel immediately ends and will be re-started in the same planes.
- Intentionally ditching or bailing constitutes forfeiture of the duel.
- The intent is for players to remain in close proximity to one another (2-3K max).  That said if at any time the players lose icon range on one another the duel ends immediately and will be re-started using the same planes.  This should allow a dueler to simply turn away from a runner to nullify the duel.
- If an uninvited third party interrupts the duel the duel is immediately ended and will be re-started using the same plane.  The dueling participants may move to another mutually agreed upon set of fields in the DA in this instance.
- Once one player has been shot down and the other receives a kill message the duel ends.  There is no need to land.
- If a player disco's the duel will be re-fought in the same planes as soon as the discoing player re-logs.  If he does not or is unable to re-log within 15 minutes he will lose the duel series by default.  A second disco by the same player in a duel series will result in forfeiture of the remaining duels in that series.
- Both players will film all duels in case of a dispute.
- Films must be posted by the winning player for all duels from the quarter final round forward for the viewing pleasure of the community.  Films may be posted during earlier rounds if both participants agree.
- The losing player will post in this thread after the duel series in the following format:

Plane - Winner
   Plane - Winner
   Plane - Winner (if needed)

The loser posting is a means to verify that the results are uncontested.  If the loser hasn't posted by the deadline then the winner may post the results but they will be deemed contested.
- This information must be posted by no later than 12:00 midnight CST/CDT (as appropriate) Sunday following the posting of the updated bracket so that I can get the brackets updated and re-posted on Monday.
- If a player does not show within 15 minutes of the arranged time they forfeit the series.  In that case the winner by default must post a message confirming the arranged duel time and a screenshot of the DA roster showing that the opponent is a no show no later than 12:00 midnight CDT Sunday following posting of the updated bracket.
- If a duel cannot be arranged between two players each player will have a chance to post the circumstances in this thread prior to the posting deadline.  If only one player posts and it is clear that they are making an attempt to arrange their duel then that player will advance, provided their post was at least 48 hours prior to the round closing deadline. If both players post and it is clear that the issue lies with only one player then the player not at fault will advance.  If it is unclear which player is at fault, if neither player posts, or if a single player posts inside the 48 hour window then a random draw will determine which player advances.  
- In the case of contested results both player’s films will be reviewed by the review committee and a determination will be posted no later than 48 hours after the initial posting deadline.  The review committee may overturn posted results.  If a clean determination of a winner cannot be made a winner will be selected by random draw.  The review committee's determination will be final.  Because this will delay both the winner's and his/her next opponent's ability to arrange their next duel it is in the best interest of everyone that the players reach an agreeable conclusion to their duels on their own.  In any case, the next duels deadlines WILL NOT be delayed.
- The initial bracket will be posted on Monday, February 1 and each Monday thereafter until a winner has been determined.

And finally here’s a reduced size version of the open bracket from the last tournament:

I appreciate the community’s support of these tournaments and will keep them going as long as I can and as long as there’s interest.

Oh, and BTW, I'm in.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:25:48 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline horble

• Silver Member
Re: Third Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Sign-up *HERE*
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »
Count me in  :aok

Game: horble  BBS: horble
Kommando Nowotny

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
In, fudgums for both
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
in

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »
In- SunsFan
can we make the last few rounds best 3-5 for this one?
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »
In
Juvat

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
In.
Bosco
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
In - cactus  :airplane:
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »
Jolly01..is in.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
In, Cursed.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
in  :devil
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
yeah i'm in too.
Lighten up Francis

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »
I wouldn't mind being on the  review committee.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
In

Mensa
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Lazerr