Author Topic: Why do you play the game?  (Read 9880 times)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Re: Why do you play the game?
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
SBD=Fun...Thats all I have to add.

Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »
It was cheap humble but it happens all the time in the MA. The excuses you get from someone avoiding a 1v1 are sometimes classic. One thing I have learned is some of the people who complain on here on about game play and say its all about "the fight" are the same ones who make excuses not to fight or do the very lame thing they complain about.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »
what i'm getting here is just garbage excuses. wmaker could easily have continued to land IF he was actually low on fuel. You could easily have stayed out IF he actually wanted a fight. Wmaker could easily have said I really didnt want a 1 on 1, why should I give you an even fight? All just fine....

I already explained my desicion making to you above. If you don't believe it, not much I can do. I really don't care either way.

As for the other comments on whining.

My exact comment was (in order)

lol

so neither one of you would go 1 on 1 with an SBD

Wmakers response was

no need to cry

I made an observation that the film backs up. Neither one of them was willing to go one on one.

My response was truthful, I wasn't whining I was (and am) genuinely disappointed since I was hoping for a quality fight vs what is easily the hardest match up in the game for an SBD. My exact words were would have been a fun fight.

His words are I set you up....

nothing about low fuel, RTB or just not wanting to engage 1 on 1.

Like I said, my comments were a bit harsh, particularly because I had just had (last night) people whining to me after killing their Jugs with a Dora by E-fighting. I should have obviously just started turning in a lufberry on the deck so they could have outturned me with a P-47 flaps out. Personally I'm getting sick and tired with the whining mentality of the MAs and how it has been for years. The very short stints I flew WarBirds back in the day, I don't remember seeing anything like we have today in AH. That is something I'd like to get back. And yes, I knew it was you because I had killed you in an earlier sortie in the area. I knew you were going to comment on the way you died, I just knew it...so I jumped the gun a bit there. Again, MA isn't a DA. When 1 vs 1 happens in the MA, it's great but often it doesn't and at times one gets outnumbered and shot down because of it but that is MA. No need to say anything about it.

So here I am sitting -E in an SBD right by an enemy base and I'm a whiner because I commented that I would have loved to fight a guy 1 on 1 in "his" ride...especially given its a fight I find particularly difficult for the SBD if the 239 is well handled.

This "-E SBD" you keep saying is rather hilarious. Everybody can look at the film and see that you had more Energy than me. In fact, you could have easily forced a fight by cutting the corner a bit and by making a tight hi-yoyo as you were diving on me. I was fully expecting you to do so. In that situation I would have probably ended up on that hill due to fuel starvation during our fight. But you decided to stay higher and keep your E with a shallow climbing turn.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:08:00 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »
It's cheaper than hookers and less destructive than crack.    :lol
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 08:01:14 PM »
No all I was hoping for was a chance to get out flown. what i'm getting here is just garbage excuses. wmaker could easily have continued to land IF he was actually low on fuel. You could easily have stayed out IF he actually wanted a fight. Wmaker could easily have said I really didnt want a 1 on 1, why should I give you an even fight? All just fine....

As for the other comments on whining.

My exact comment was (in order)

lol

so neither one of you would go 1 on 1 with an SBD

Wmakers response was

no need to cry

I made an observation that the film backs up. Neither one of them was willing to go one on one.

My response was truthful, I wasn't whining I was (and am) genuinely disappointed since I was hoping for a quality fight vs what is easily the hardest match up in the game for an SBD. My exact words were would have been a fun fight.

His words are I set you up....

nothing about low fuel, RTB or just not wanting to engage 1 on 1.

Nothing in my comments was a whine or negative to him beyond my preference to have given it a whirl. Certainly nothing that warrants any garbage here about my attitude on 200. It's funny in that I run into all kinds of guys in "their ride". Akak in his 38, skat in his pony, Ded in his la-7, moot in his 152, Griz in his 109K, Bruv in his spit, AKDogg in his Hog...the list goes on and on. I've hundreds of great fights over the years and am lucky if i've won a handful all told. I can't ever recall making a single complaint because I was in an SBD or A-20 or P-39 etc. So here I am sitting -E in an SBD right by an enemy base and I'm a whiner because I commented that I would have loved to fight a guy 1 on 1 in "his" ride...especially given its a fight I find particularly difficult for the SBD if the 239 is well handled.

Yep you did not only whine but start a whole thread of whine about it. If you wanted to match wmaker sbd vs bw you could at any time invite him to the DA with you. As long as we're in MA don't expect other players to magically read your thoughts.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
"I play Aces High because I have always enjoyed WW2 aviation.  In here, I get to fly all the planes I read about.  Not only that, but the only reason I continue playing the game today is due to the friends I like to fly with...even if I'm just sitting in the tower talking.  I have forgotten about "the fight" since you rarely ever get a good one.  I guess, along with friends, the possibility of finding a good fight every now and then keeps me coming back."

Same here, Banshee. There's only moths in my wallet right now so I've suspended my account but the laughs on the BBs keep me lively.  :cheers:

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
Always had a general interest in WW2, planes in particular. I'm no history buff, but had read my share of stuff way back when.

Found AW3 on Gamestorm, stuck with them until it imploded under EA then came over here.

Basically I just like to blow %$@& up, preferably someone in another plane.

I've touched on all aspects this game has to offer, but being a lone wolf luring a few (2-3 pls, 4,5,6,7,8, is... uhhh - castrati land) planes aside from the lemming trail for a quiet mugging was always my thing. This came about because my computers have generally been on the lower end and massive furballs around bases tended to wreck my FPS.

I've been mostly self-taught as well with a tip here and there giving me that "click" of insight. It's helped that i've been able to encounter and duel players better than myself.  Shaw? Never read him except when others referenced him. Badboy's performance graph thingys? No clue how to understand them. The luxury of literally 1000's of hours "flying" where death just means getting a new plane has allowed me to develop into the player I became (talent-wise anyway.)

Deliberately flying and dying at a disadvantage over and over in various planes instilled a confidence that I can give a good go in anything versus anything under any circumstances (even those 4 slobberdonkeys in the conga line behind me.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:11:58 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »
I think in the end thats the question that fascinates me most. I grew up in the era of "the code" back when "men were men" and your measure was taken based on individual skill. Squads were important and you could go years before a top squad would even consider you for membership. Yes we all took bases and did all kinds of dweebish stuff. Deacking a field and then sitting behind the runway spawn in an A-26 was common. Then you'd taxi around behind the hanger so you could puddle jump it and pop the guy and then climb up so you could vulch him if he was dumb enough to roll a 3ed time. "Boys were boy's" and played games but in the end you looked for and valued a chance to take your measure.

The clip here is a major disappointment to me in the sense that I was hoping for a good 1 on 1 and was surprised that a quality stick from what I've always considered to be a quality squad would not want the same. Yes I gave up some position looking to clear another guy. No problem that I no longer had any advantage...no issue that win or lose i'm right by there base low & slow. So yes I wanted a chance to "cross props" and sure I commented on my disappointment. To then have someone give me the BS they "set me up" and were trolling for a whine is a load of garbage. You can't "set up" an SBD and why else would a be there?

So if you don't want a "fair" fight fine. I can live with that, but don't give me your garbage on 200 or hide behind insulting me for feeling disappointed. At the end of the day I fly for fun and for a challenge and have no problems winning or losing (well not a big problem). I'd rather fly right and "lose" then be a putz and "win".
http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/losers%20on%20parade.ahf 

hey dude........i more than understand what you're talkin about.......but you are much much better than this.  :aok

i don't mean to be derogatory........i just think you're lowering yourself.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
Can't afford a real Jugg! :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:
Flying since tour 71.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »
SBD=Fun...Thats all I have to add.

(Image removed from quote.)

Love those dive flaps  :rock
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
Can't afford a real Jugg! :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:

if you've never fought snaphook in that dam sbd, you've no clue what you're missin. it's amazing fun...even as he takes your plane apart with it.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »

Or a real plane!!(ME!) :(  Yup! got all shot to hell by an SBD last week. I was surprised he stayed on me much less pick pieces off at will. sad, Disgraceful, humbling. I used to have a very poor opinion of the SBD. Now I understand I just don't know how to fly it.   :joystick:  :salute
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:21:42 PM by W7LPNRICK »
WildWzl

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »
Strange....

I've fought with and against Snap any number of times and never seen him "whine" or "cry". As often as not, I've seen him strive to fly at a disadvantage (like dogfighting in bombers) for the sheer joy of the fight.

I didn't see him do either in the film. I did see him express his disappointment at how the fight went. Then I saw wmaker being rude and trying to bait him into a whinefest, which didn't happen.

Bragging about "setting up" a guy in an inferior plane show a lack of virtual stones. Too bad, I really thought our Finnish contingent had more class than this.  :frown:

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:20 AM »
DFC= Donuts For Coffee? Yes please :D