Author Topic: What are these? [image of a map]  (Read 3109 times)

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
What are these? [image of a map]
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »
What are these?

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
Re: What are these? [image of a map]
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
^hi

those are the Airborn startup directions! when you choose direction one you come out in that sector which is shown there

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
^hi

those are the Airborn startup directions! when you choose direction one you come out in that sector which is shown there

Thank you!

So I would assume the number associated with them are slaved back to a base correct?

In other words, if you were to choose field 90 as your take off base, and choose launch North (keypad 8)...you would spawn in 7.18.8?

Cool...and yet another level and flavor of complexity to handle....

Sigh....

:rofl

Oneway

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »
Why don't they also indicate the start altitude?

I assume that the terrain designer sets the spawn alt when he includes these in a terrain?

When going over the un-compiled files of a terrain...where is this object noted?

Is it in the OBA file? If not where is it stored prior to compiling the terrain?

What does the text line look like?

Where do we find the altitude of the spawn point prior to terrain compilation?

Oneway
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:44:32 PM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
Wait a minute....

That doesn't make any sense...the annotation must be off by 1 because of the zero based index nature of the underlying field array....

90 on northsea is vehicle base....therefore the tag 90 on the air spawn must refer to array index 90...in other words field A89...

Correct?

Oneway

Edit: That numeric annotation associated with these map elements must not have anything to do with the field ID....as 90 appears multiple times in the northsea terrain....need help understanding this...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:56:22 PM by oneway »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
Technically any object can be designated an airfield, and any object can be given an air spawn or regular spawn. A vehicle base can be given either, its a matter of assigning an air spawn to that field.

In fact con planes are usually enabled at vehicle bases, the RV-8 with WEP would almost clip the vertical stab on the hanger as it took off.

:devil

Strip

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Technically any object can be designated an airfield, and any object can be given an air spawn or regular spawn. A vehicle base can be given either, its a matter of assigning an air spawn to that field.

In fact con planes are usually enabled at vehicle bases, the RV-8 with WEP would almost clip the vertical stab on the hanger as it took off.

:devil

Strip

So then...

If you look at north sea...with several air spawn points with annotation "90"....then?

I am going to load it up off line and check it out

Oneway

PS: will post back here the results of that testing

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »
Why don't they also indicate the start altitude?

I assume that the terrain designer sets the spawn alt when he includes these in a terrain?

When going over the un-compiled files of a terrain...where is this object noted?

Is it in the OBA file? If not where is it stored prior to compiling the terrain?

What does the text line look like?

Where do we find the altitude of the spawn point prior to terrain compilation?

Oneway

In the terrain editor map output I dont think it puts an icon for the airspawn or native field. I think they are added after the fact but I could be mistaken though.

The air spawn is listed in the .OBA file, it should be listed as "F01FTE000" or "F01BME000" which is fighter entry and bomber entry respectively. The last three digits will correspond to the unique number assigned to each item in its class. In the object editor and object list in the TE you would select "spawn" to add an air spawn or normal spawn. Once placed you would select FEntry or BEntry, again fighter or bomber respectively. Techinically any object could be labeled an entry, your aircraft would pop out at the object center.

Hope this helps, havent forgot about ya but had some stuff come up, I am free most of the day tomorrow.

Strip

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »
So then...

If you look at north sea...with several air spawn points with annotation "90"....then?

I am going to load it up off line and check it out

Oneway

PS: will post back here the results of that testing

I could be wrong, just going off of memory but I think they are added after the fact by the map maker in a photo editor.

Strip

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »
Correct Strip they are added to the CBM by the terrain creator.

The little blue grid corresponds to the spawn locations you select from the tower. From upper left to right and working down from there... NW,N,NE,W,H,E and so on.
The square in the grid that is darker, is the spawn button it is linked to.

Oneway the terrain builder could if they so desired add the alt. to the icon.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
There is a bug in the north sea map..

Load it up offline...go to field 90....

Choose terrain setup and load out the default field/plane file....

Go into the hanger....choose a vehicle....

spawn sw or west...

end the sortie....

You will find yourself at a new base such as 88

Go back to 90...go back to setup arena and set default fields/planes....

Choose one of the available aircraft...spawn points don't match the air spawns on the map....

Spawn out west and you will find yourself in space at one of the aerial spawns....

The other spawns are missing....

Why would planes be enabled in the first place from 90?...another question for another day

I am gonna test the spawn outs from 89 (n-1)...and I will bet ya the remainig aerial spawns  (map annotated) are available from there....

More than likely another zero based indexing failure....

Bug Bug Bug....

Bugs in the air spawn stuff

Oneway
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:25:13 PM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Its not a bug...

It is a quirky design feature of the terrain...

The terrain designer enabled those air spawns from a few select fields...irrespective of whether or not they were airfields....consistent with Strips initial post

Probably to facilitate the use of the map on its initial release...and predicated on the design of a scenario...

Though odd...not a bug...thus the monikers associated with air spawn points are not in anyway indicative of the field type in which they are associated with....further, there other fields that slave into the spawn matrix so designated in this example as "90"....

I have neither the time or wherewithal to find out which ones share the same slave....

This is a curious feature of the terrain editor...

Still the question remains...air spawns notated as 90...on the northsea...show spawn points from the orginiating field as being keypads 4, 7 and 8....

Yet enabling aircraft at 90 only yields a spawn choice of West and North for aircraft....

Who owns the missing keypad NW 7 ?

Oneway
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:45:12 PM by oneway »

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
There is a bug in the north sea map..

Load it up offline...go to field 90....

Choose terrain setup and load out the default field/plane file....

Go into the hanger....choose a vehicle....

spawn sw or west...

end the sortie....

You will find yourself at a new base such as 88

Go back to 90...go back to setup arena and set default fields/planes....

Choose one of the available aircraft...spawn points don't match the air spawns on the map....

Spawn out west and you will find yourself in space at one of the aerial spawns....

The other spawns are missing....

Why would planes be enabled in the first place from 90?...another question for another day

I am gonna test the spawn outs from 89 (n-1)...and I will bet ya the remainig aerial spawns  (map annotated) are available from there....

More than likely another zero based indexing failure....

Bug Bug Bug....

Bugs in the air spawn stuff

Oneway

Oneway there's not a bug in the air spawns at V90.

Not sure why you are changing the field/plane load out's when the builder already set the planes that are allowed to spawn from that field.

When you select a vehicle and spawn to the SW you are spawning at the vehicle spawn that is close to A88, there for when you /.ef "end your sortie"
you are at field A88.

In the Northsea terrain there are 6 air spawns at field V90 3 of them are fighter spawns and 3 of them are bomber spawns.
So when you go to the hanger and select a P-47 for instance "which is one of the planes the builder had enabled".
Then in the tower you will only see 3 air spawns and the "H" hanger spawn.

Hope this clears things up a little for you.

:salute
midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
I am confused....

Why would the designer do this in the first place?

It makes no sense....

You have an airfield less than a sector away...

Further...I am setting the planes/fields to default for the purpose of discerning whether or not they are airfields, ports or vbases to use in another program....

I find it confounding why a designer would do such a convoluted thing as assign aircraft rights to a vbase...and as it is now obvious...the game will override his decisions if you choose default setup in cm tools - fields...

What logical reason could explain why terrain designer would create a vbase and then allow its use as an airfield for a special event? (which of course requires that *fld and *pln) are not present when loading the terrain offline?

Yet another layer of obfuscation ...

Scratching head at this point

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »
Welcome to the world of terrain building....

It could be that the airspawns were added manually in a text editor and the designer was bitten by the zero equals one issue.

Strip