Author Topic: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....  (Read 16037 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 01:47:18 PM »
Did you open your radiator?  :rofl

Before everyone jumps all over you for saying this about the R-2800, when you adjust your cowl flaps in Il-2 the system message still says "radiator."

As for views, I don't have track IR either.  Using a hat switch for views in Il-2 is obviously inferior to AH.  Like Demetrious says, padlock also sucks.  The best option I've found is to use the mouse for views <gasp>.  I upped the sensitivity and can look around very efficiently after practicing at it over the course of a week.  It sounds crazy, but it works very well.

RoF has an interesting view system that's kind of a cross between AH and Il-2.  You can adjust all of your view positions like AH, but you can't move your head 360 degrees.  The speed at which the snap views move can be changed, which is very cool.  I mentioned the similarity to AH in their forums, and Lefty admitted straight out that they studied the AH viewing system before implementing their own in RoF.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »
.50 caliber damage seems to be fine to me though. What I hate is that Russian aircraft are overmodeled, and the P-51 turns like a ruptured elephant on roller skates. (IL-2 shares ground with AH in this respect.) I am so fed up with this new "LOL MUSTANG CAN'T TURN" vibe going around with the sim developers. It makes me rage.

Actually, I find the 'Stangs in Il2 can turn well enough to give 109Gs a fight, are actually more maneuverable than the 47s, etc. AHII is the only WWII sim I've ever run into where the P-51 was less maneuverable than the P-47.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »
Agree with BnZs.  It's a fantasy that Russian aircraft are overdone in Il-2.  If anything, they are worse than in AH.  Fire up Il-2, dive an La-7 to 450mph ias (no g load) and tell me what happens.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
Agree with BnZs.  It's a fantasy that Russian aircraft are overdone in Il-2.  If anything, they are worse than in AH.  Fire up Il-2, dive an La-7 to 450mph (no g load) and tell me what happens.

Yes...I rather like the way high IAS has more effects on control stiffness and structural damage in Il2. 109s being able to pull blackout turns at 400mph IAS seems abit in AHII seems abit much.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »
Demetrious,

That's EXACTLY how I tried to snap-roll in IL-2. Full hard back stick and simultaneous full left rudder (the Corsair snap-rolls better to the left due to the engine torque. At least in AH). All I ended up with was the nose kind of mushing around a bit.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
I hate to ask the silly question, but did you double check your difficulty settings?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »
I would always customize my settings so that the flight model was not handicapped, but other things might be (i.e. no cockpit toggle, unlimited ammo, or no engine overheats, etc -- just to make the offline missions more bearable), and I experienced the same things.

It's not a settings issue.

EDIT: I've flown it on full difficulty as well.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
I hate to ask the silly question, but did you double check your difficulty settings?

The only difficulty setting I turned off is the engine overheats. Everything else should be set to full.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:02 PM »
Actually, I find the 'Stangs in Il2 can turn well enough to give 109Gs a fight, are actually more maneuverable than the 47s, etc. AHII is the only WWII sim I've ever run into where the P-51 was less maneuverable than the P-47.

No kidding?

I'm using Hardballs' benchmarking program as my primary reference (I've spent much more IL-2 hours in the P-40, because it forced me to learn how to manage E,) and it gives the P-51 horrible turn ratings...

...though, I wouldn't be surprised if that benchmark was taken with the P-51 at full fuel load. I used to rage at the horrible handling of the 51 until I realized I was starting in the air with 100% fuel load- including the fuselage auxiliary tank.  :rofl If it can really turn good enough to compete with a Gustav... that'd be on par with it's historical performance, in fact. And since I'd been focusing on improving my E management skills, I never tried extended turning fights with it. Well, I know what I'm doing tonight- validating this theory!

Agree with BnZs.  It's a fantasy that Russian aircraft are overdone in Il-2.  If anything, they are worse than in AH.  Fire up Il-2, dive an La-7 to 450mph ias (no g load) and tell me what happens.

I took about an hour to investigate this claim and I think you have a point- IL-2 performance of Russian planes seems to match Russian historical performance tests- not the tests, or estimates, of other nations. Perhaps it's just that other aircraft are under-modeled, but in my time in American birds I've never had any gripes that didn't match the historical grumbles, so perhaps I've been too hasty in my assessments there.

Also, I also use the mouse for views. I use a desktop-replacement laptop as my main computer, and since the touchpad is always under my thumb, it's actually a pretty quick way to adjust the view.

That's EXACTLY how I tried to snap-roll in IL-2. Full hard back stick and simultaneous full left rudder (the Corsair snap-rolls better to the left due to the engine torque. At least in AH). All I ended up with was the nose kind of mushing around a bit.

I'd put it down to your control settings, then. As I said, IL-2 can be iffy when it comes to stick input detection on start-up. It must be this, because I just went into IL-2 and performed a right-hand snap-roll in an F4U-D with no problem whatsoever. When I tried a left-handed snap-roll the nose came up a bit and then she broke to the right anyways as the engine torque had it's way (perhaps the direction of torque is mismodeled in either IL-2 or AH?) I'll post the video of this test tomorrow.

EDIT: Also whoever said that "all planes" have the "same flap settings" clearly spent less then ten minutes with the game. IL-2 just labels various flap settings with "take-off, landing," etc, instead of setting 1, 2, 3, or 20, 30, 40, degrees, etc. I'd rather have degrees but whatever. You take up a Spit, and you'll see the flap control toggle do just that- toggle. Flaps will go between "landing" (full setting) and "up."

EDIT THE SECOND: Hilariously enough, I cannot manage to induce a snap-roll in a Corsair in AH (stall limiter off.) I probably need to monkey with input scaling again...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:32:18 PM by Demetrious »

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 09:40:25 PM »
I like both IL2 and AH. While some say AH is best or IL2 is best, it really comes down to what you prefer in a sim.

Graphics: IL2 wins this one hands down. Someone posted that IL2's graphics were "cartoony"... are you kidding me???

Damage Model: I like IL2 a lot better here, when you get big holes in your aircraft it decreases lift and increases drag like it should.

Flight Model: As far as handing goes, I'm not sure which flight model is more realistic as I have never flown an actual aircraft. But, if you like the realism of adjusting your inflight controls, IL2 has it all with settings for radiator, magneto, supercharger, etc... (if you choose to fly full realism).

Multiplayer: Max player limit in IL2 is limited but some prefer the smaller online experience. You really get to know who you are flying with and against. Of course, some prefer the huge arenas that AH offers so I would say this is player preference. In IL2 you can also find a server to fit you preferences, if you like realism, there are full realism servers where icons are disabled and you have to actually navigate on the map; or you can go the other way and find servers with radar icons to other aircraft and invisible cockpits / unobstructed views.

Depth of Sim: AH wins here if you want to do more than just fly. Personally, I like the large arenas of AH where you have ground, naval, and air battles all going at the same time. Of course, some people just prefer a flight sim dedicated to flying/dogfighting only.

Support and development: IL2 can't touch HTC/AH here. When was the last time IL2 was updated by the developers?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:42:50 PM by WpnX »
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »

EDIT THE SECOND: Hilariously enough, I cannot manage to induce a snap-roll in a Corsair in AH (stall limiter off.) I probably need to monkey with input scaling again...

Sliders all the way to the top... she'll snap roll.
See Rule #4

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »
Damage Model: I like IL2 a lot better here, when you get big holes in your aircraft it decreases lift and increases drag like it should.
AH is coming up with new dameage modeling with the WW1 arena,i have very high hopes for this.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »
AH is coming up with new dameage modeling with the WW1 arena,i have very high hopes for this.

Yup, we are getting the new damage model integrated into AH, but I won't be expectign it to be done anyitme soon, that's a lot of planes/vehicles to rework/test/critique.

The constant support and development of this game really make it a great flight sim and/or MMO game.

So has your friend checked it out yet?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »
Dose Il2 have a skin profile like AH?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2010, 06:44:53 AM »
beside all FM ,DM and graphics, IL2 has no official online server. its all about in private hands, shoot down the server admin and you get kicked! thats my experienece

AH2 is an MMO game, IL2 not! AH2 has much more options, and tons of events to offer, therefore its worth the money

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/