Author Topic: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....  (Read 16033 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline DarkCrow

• Zinc Member
Re: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:38 PM »

I think both sims are equally as good in there own way. Just have fun with them. I think the riding on the rails feel people might be referring to in Aces High could be just combat trim. Disable it and give it a go and you'll feel much more slippery.

Krusty I actually get the opposite feel as you about landings. I feel it is much harder in Il2. Especially with damage. As far as take offs, in Aces High all I use sometimes is rudder and throttle while I'm playing with my clipboard map. I find it more difficult in Il2. There's a lot of real world pilots in forums that say it is much harder to fly in Il2 than in real life because of the stall characteristics.( None of this is meant to be a flame just different opinions.) I've actually successfully landed in both sims with no elevators!

Both sims are a blast. Just remember Il2 is old so it has it's limitations but it's still fun. Storm of War will be much better. :rock

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
I'm as much of an AH fan as anyone, having been with HiTech, Pyro & the guys since LONG before there was an AH.  That don't mean I can't enjoy another game though.

I see a LOT of IL-2 bashing going on in this thread by guys who've obviously never played the game, or at least, certainly not lately.  Anyone who's a true combat flight sim fan owes it to themselves to give the game a try. 

Cartoony graphics?  That's just utter ridiculousness.  Doesn't even deserve to be addressed further. 

Lack of support?  Really?  I just reloaded IL-2 (and AH) after a bit of a layoff.  I needed to go and download a major patch that'd been released not too long ago, 8+ years after the game debuted.  And the next one is due out early this year.  This official patch, for a game that you can get for like $15 these days, added multiple maps, several flyable aircraft, as well as other tweaks & additions.  Sounds pretty well supported to me, particularly since this was just the latest in a long line of official patches.  All released for a game that only earns its income once, unlike the constant funding of a MMO like AH where updates are not just expected but DEMANDED.  And beyond that, there's a HUGE modding community.  The HSFX mod that's been mentioned here is a one-stop mod that combines a bunch of graphical upgrades, AI tweaks, lets you fly some of the planes which were AI-only, adds catapults to the CV's that had them, and a TON of other stuff. 

Flight modeling?  There's always room for debate here.  There's a LOT that comes under scrutiny regarding AH's flight model.  Do they feel a little different?  Sure.  Is either perfect?  Certainly not.  Is one more "correct" than the other?  There's no way to tell.  Do all of the planes in IL-2 fly the same?  Hardly.  Is quite a bit of the complaining that people do about both games due to stick setup?  Likely.

Views?  I went with a Track IR YEARS ago so they're all good to me.  Seriously folks, if you have to not eat for a month in order to afford one, do so.  You'll fit into all those jeans in the back of your closet and your simming experience will never be the same.  ('Course you'll hafta download a 6DOF patch for IL-2.)  You don't even hafta splurge for the new model 5.  Get a used 4 from eBay or something.  It's seriously the best simming purchase I've made, right after a joystick.  As for the views realism, honestly, I think that AH is a little lenient.  I donno about the rest of you, but I have been strapped into a cockpit while dogfighting (against HiTech, no less.)  You simply aren't clambering around in your seat, twisting your head all akimbo in order to get that view behind you.  Now maybe some guys left their straps loose for a little more maneuverability in the cockpit, but for my sake, when I'm hanging weightless at the top of a loop, I feel a lot more comfortable snug in the seat and not dangeling several inches outta it.  :)  Plus, it's hard to stomp down on that rudder pedal to get your crate's nose around when you've got no solid perch to give you something to press against.

Offline play?  While offline missions in AH (FINALLY!) are great, they don't compare to the offline play in IL-2.  This, IMO, is what IL-2 is for.  Sometimes I just want to jump into a game and fly a P-40 at Pearl Harbor.  Or a campaign as a Marine Major in the Pacific.  Or blast away at Bf-110s in a P-80.  I actually don't play IL-2 online at all.  Finding a full-realism server with quality opponents is too much of a struggle.   

There's room on at least THIS simmer's hard drive for both.  I fly them for different reasons and enjoy them both equally, fully aware of the pros & cons of each.  I'm well past the juvenile "my choice is better than yours" stage that many people seem to never leave.  My PS3 exists happily alongside my Xbox 360.  I own both Ford & GM.  (Of course some choices don't fall into this.  PC > Mac. And Atari computers were always better than Commodores.  ;-)  )  When I'm after one thing, I fly IL-2.  When I'm after another, I fly AH.

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »
Excellent post Doberman - and I agree. Well except for the Atari > Commodore nonsens, hehe  :)
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
Doberman....who won the dogfight between you and Hitech?  :D

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 02:19:15 PM »
Excellent post Doberman - and I agree. Well except for the Atari > Commodore nonsens, hehe  :)

I used to own an ST publicly I hated amigas but secretly I wanted one  :rofl its took me years to come to terms with that!  :bolt:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Oh boy, here we go again...

I'll respectfully disagree here.  When I fly AH after playing another flight sim, there is a way in which the aircraft feel the same, but that is because AH has a distinct feel.  Il-2 also has a distinct feel, but after you've played it a bit, you laugh when people say the aircraft feel the same.  AH has the riding on rails feeling, while Il-2 feels slippery (best analogy I can think of).  Both have excellent flight models in my opinion, and I've played more than a dozen flight sims since the late '80s.

Secondly, with the latest Il-2 mods, e.g. HSFX, AH is still way behind in graphics, especially with clouds, fires, and optical effects.

I also think it's silly to compare the two sims too strictly because what they offer is so different.  Il-2 does not have MMP, AH does. Many Il-2 servers offer historical matchups with semi-accurate maps (some with snow or desert), goals for each side to accomplish, etc.; AH offers big fictonal maps where almost anything goes.

Edit: I forgot to mention that gunnery is more difficult in Il-2, and that makes a big difference for gameplay.  While it's no big woop to see someone land seven or eight kills in AH, I get excited over three or four (human opponents) in Il-2.
I actually agree with Anaxogoras...very well put sir.   :salute

P.S. I do prefer AH due to the "human factor" nothing more...the recent upgrades have made it more interesting as well.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:52 PM »
Doberman....who won the dogfight between you and Hitech?  :D

He did, though in my defense he never really got a clean shot at me in any of our fights.  They devolved into descending fights that ended with me hitting the hard deck before him each time.  In his support though, he made a better move at the merge each time and DID have an advantage.  Not a HUGE one, but he was in command and would have likely either eventually gotten in the saddle or flew me into the ground.

Personally, I blame the losses on the many many aviation-themed shots he bought me the night before and the resulting hangover.  I told them they shouldn't have scheduled the best fight of the day for 8:00 AM.  :)

This was at a Fighter Pilots USA tournament about a decade ago, just before AH I think.  We were still playing Warbirds back then.  :)  

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:27:18 PM by Doberman »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »
Yup, we are getting the new damage model integrated into AH, but I won't be expectign it to be done anyitme soon, that's a lot of planes/vehicles to rework/test/critique.

That's why the damage model is being tested out in the WW1, it will make the development and transition go that much quicker.

ack-ack 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »

Personally, I blame the losses on the many many aviation-themed shots he bought me the night before and the resulting hangover.  I told them they shouldn't have scheduled the best fight of the day for 8:00 AM.  :)

:rofl  :aok

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »
Heh.  So I haven't thought much about this in a while.  I mention it here and then a coupla days later, I've got some air combat show playing on the Military Channel on my new cable package and I hear a voice I recognize.  I turn around to the screen and there's Mouse.  Robert Shaw, the man who wrote the book on fighter combat (the aptly named "Fighter Combat" ;)  ).  He came and hung out at the tournament and was out drinking with us the night before as well.  Haven't seen him in forever.  He still making it to the AH cons now and then?

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
Whatever happened to the BoB version of Il-2?

Offline Nurminen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQbCIT-aMnY

I'm already saving money to build a new box that can handle it. :cry :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »
I'm already saving money to build a new box that can handle it. :cry :P

From the looks of it, you'll have plenty of time to sock away those pennies.  :)  Looks amazing, but I'm not holding out hope for getting it anytime soon.