Author Topic: Haiti  (Read 1918 times)

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
Re: Haiti
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2010, 02:27:44 AM »

This Thread has crashed.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:48:46 AM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2010, 06:31:17 AM »
I'm glad I was raised to treat others how they treat me.   I feel bad for the Haitians and they've never done a thing to me.   To blindly "hate anyone" you've never had a single point of contact with in life, is nothing short of pathetic.   

Some people posting should never have hit the "Post" button.    :eek:

I hope the aftershocks subside, but something tells me, that Fault is fubar and it'll rumble for a couple more months with another 7.0.   They barely had anything to begin with, but to lose most of it, not many of us can comprehend.   

QFT

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2010, 06:37:50 AM »
The only problem I would have with sending them any kind of aid, like giving money myself is there's a good chance anything I send is gonna get hijacked by looters & criminal gangs to be sold on the black market, there's just no order over there.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
I don't know where to start on this thread.  I'd generally consider myself a pessimist, but in comparison to some of these posts I've got sunshine shining out of my backside.  A couple of those made me physically cringe. 

When your neighbors and family's corpses are being loaded into mass graves by fork lifts and bulldozers, let me know how you're feeling. 

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »
You people make me sick.  This wasn't a country full of terrorists, it was a democracy, its VERY close to our borders, and they desperately need help, and will continue to need help for a long time.  What makes US great as a nation is how willing we are to assist those in need.  This is the most pressing need any foreign entity has had in a long time, and responding in Haiti to me is 100x more important than anything we're doing in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I've donated significantly more to Haiti relief than the amount of one of those text messages.  I just feel that this one, this tragedy, falls on us to fix.  The tsunami a few years ago occurred on the other side of the world, but this earthquake was right in our back yard.  We must not respond poorly just because the Haitians were poor.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 09:34:16 AM »
as far as rebuilding Haiti and it's infrastructure........there's no reason to believe that throwing tons and tons of money into that horrible situation will make any more of a difference than all the billions America has already pumped into that country in the last 50 years.

Additionally...as a Florida resident... I would submit that (relating to repatriation) we already did our share in 1980...and we're still experiencing issues from acclimating so many people at once...and oh by the way.....never seeing a federal dime for any of it....thank you Mr. jimmy carter.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:38:13 AM by ZetaNine »

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2010, 09:45:18 AM »
There are people in this country shooting at police and innocent people as well, we don't abandon everyone else because of it.  There is no need to group an entire country into good or bad.  There are a lot of people over there hurt, starving, and dying.  Haiti has a long history of poverty and genocide due to many large western countries.

After Katrina, people were shot, people were stolen from, unimaginable acts were committed by "people in OUR country".  Chaos after disaster is a human problem, not a Haitian problem.
You have to remember... New Orleans is more like Haiti than most US cities. A lot of folks there are still on handouts. The fact remains that Alabama was hit harder than New Orleans. Alabama just had better folks and better leadership.

My prayers are all I'm sending to Haiti personally. My taxes are being spent to support Haiti and in my opinion that is way too much.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
You have made yourself clear, disturbingly clear.  Someday in the future, when you or someone in your family finds themselves in a situation where they need help, where their life depends on the goodness of mankind; someone will reach out a hand, someone who doesn't know you, maybe even someone who doesn't like you, and they will pull you up onto your own two feet.  They will do it without thinking, without reward, and without fear for their own well being.  Those are the people who get on a plane and fly to a place struck with violence and poverty because they might be able to save the life a little boy, a mother, a grandfather.  They choose to go, you can never loose hope in mankind when you think about those people.

I am done with this thread.

That is what Friends and Family are about ..... I'll never need or want anything from you.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2010, 10:14:12 AM »
i dont recall many incidences of aid workers being shot at and priests being killed during katrina

So you missed the part about the Helicopters being shot at?    Random, but alas, it did happen.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
That is what Friends and Family are about ..... I'll never need or want anything from you.

Indeed, because they are all in a position to help you.  If they are not, what then?  I certainly would never want to rely on a stranger, but in some rare cases some must.

The sense of entitlement in this thread is enough to blow a man over. (Not you shuffler, I'm referring to earlier posts)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
So you missed the part about the Helicopters being shot at?    Random, but alas, it did happen.

The Astrodome was opened to let refugees from New Orleans stay there. Most got a card worth around $3000.
They trashed the Atrodome and many were trying to buy nice jewelry and htting strips clubs with their cards. The dumpsters at the Dome were always filled with liquor bottles.

Lot of money wasted there too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
The Astrodome was opened to let refugees from New Orleans stay there. Most got a card worth around $3000.
They trashed the Atrodome and many were trying to buy nice jewelry and htting strips clubs with their cards. The dumpsters at the Dome were always filled with liquor bottles.

Lot of money wasted there too.

Yep.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
One of the main things they need to do first is do something to regain order, you just start sending in money & aid and it's just gonna get taken by the criminals & gangs instead of those who actually need it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »
  What makes US great as a nation is how willing we are to assist those in need. 

How about "assisting" those in need in our own country first!!
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP