Author Topic: Question about OS  (Read 1941 times)

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Question about OS
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »
i asked this in my last thread but think i didn't get a responce due to the title

i am going to be reinstalling my OS (XP) but i keep hearing alot of good things about Windows 7. is it worth upgrading to Win7? can my system even upgrade to Win7?

thanks for all the info and tips
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question about OS
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »
Most people will say dont, unless you have to, or wait till service pack 1 comes out.  but I switched to win7 64 and have no problems.  sounds sound better (double positive?) and I get to use all the ram.  currently have 4, will go up to 8 when (if) it goes down in price.  but over all I like it.  but my guess this thread is gonna be something like what do you like better ch stick or saitek.  but it would be better if you actually post what you use your puter for.  games, applications, etc.  you might get more informed responses.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »
What do you mean by your system can upgrade? You want to go from xP to 7 or you don't know if it can handle 7?
Would need specs for that, you can buy upgrade packages for XP to 7, but it's highly recommended to wipe clean and do a fresh install.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »
Kilz, if you have a core duo or newer cpu and at least 2 GB RAM...your system will run Win7...I would go with 64bit just because everyone that has it says it's very stable...I just got a new system at work with Win7 and I'm seriously thinking my game system needs to get off XP.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
Are the sounds in Win 7 better than Win XP because of the loss of support for Sound Hardware acceleration?

I would to sway to either XP or 7 depending on the answer.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
Are the sounds in Win 7 better than Win XP because of the loss of support for Sound Hardware acceleration?
TBH, I haven't noticed any loss of sound on my new work system over my old XP unit...we're using VOIP for our phones and I can use either a bluetooth set or the mic/speakers and it's very clear...what music I've listened to is actually better but I have to think that's just a difference in hardware.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
I would go with 64bit just because everyone that has it says it's very stable...

AFAIK you need a 64bit CPU to run a 64bit OS.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
AFAIK you need a 64bit CPU to run a 64bit OS.

Its true you do, but...
I haven't seen a non-64 Bit CPU in a few years.  As with AMD that's what the AMD Athlon "64" X# means.  Brand Model Bit Cores. (Pretty darn sure anyways)  Just saying, it's doubtful someone around here (except for the people with 10 year old Dells) have a 32-bit CPU.  Now-a-days they just drop the 64 since it's standard in any CPU. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
Nevermind. :p
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:32:48 PM »
Nevermind. :p

Heh, was about to ask what that was about...was gonna say... :P

Went and looked up the CPU and all!  Heck of a Page file that thing has though.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:26 PM »
Went and looked up the CPU and all!  Heck of a Page file that thing has though.

Exactly what I did, since I realized I'd never done it myself. :D I haven't gotten around to toying with the page file yet...I'm guessing it's a percentage, which is bound to be huge on a 640GB hard drive.

EDIT: "Recommended: 4599 MB" :rofl
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:36:13 PM by OOZ662 »

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 11:09:50 PM »
Exactly what I did, since I realized I'd never done it myself. :D I haven't gotten around to toying with the page file yet...I'm guessing it's a percentage, which is bound to be huge on a 640GB hard drive.

EDIT: "Recommended: 4599 MB" :rofl

Well I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but...
The Page File (or Virtual Memory) is set by the user, Typically it's best to put it around 2-4GB.  The amount used (the part I was saying was kind of crazy) should stay as low as possible when idle, XP can run under 200MB if done right.  Vista/W7 will run upwards of 500MB from what I've seen, and that's after a lot of trimming.  The 2GB used by the laptop you showed is just crazy for an idle amount.  Unless of course that DxDiag was saved with a lot open (Best to be idle so you know idle Page File usage).  If Skuzzy sees a DxDiag with a huge Used Page File, trimming that is always* his first suggestion.

*This may not reflect true stats as Skuzzy has a very complex brain and may suggest different things first before seeing the page file.

As for Kilz XP vs W7 thing:  It's really personal preference.  I dual-boot XP and W7 right now (just started using W7 few days ago) and personally prefer XP.  I love the looks and newness of W7, but XP is still smoother for my system, but that may be I haven't trimmed the system down much (still running a 1GB page file idle).  W7 is newer so obviously it's the future, but why fix what isn't broken....much?  XP is fine for now if you don't want to get W7 just yet.  As for whether you can handle it, most likely yes, but that would require a DxDiag or Parts list since some things aren't Vista/W7 supported very well if at all.

:salute

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 12:18:31 AM »
Windows 7 has better memory management and some improvements in networking which makes for faster downloads speeds and upload speeds. XP still outperforms Win7 in most games but already there are games showing up that will not run on XP. Any game that requires DirectSound3D will fail under Vista or Win7 but since most games now support OpenAL there is less of a problem on Win7. Win7 still has audio issues a lot like Vista has but there is a little more improvement also.

If you have an SLI rig you will discover that SLI works with vsync under Win7 (Vista also) but fails under XP even on the exact same rig. It must be a conspiracy. Microsoft needs a strong competitor.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 12:24:25 AM »
(except for the people with 10 year old Dells)

Hey.  I resemble that remark!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 12:28:05 AM »
(big snip)

Through research, I've set it at 128MB minimum with 1GB maximum. The massive page file use was because I was playing EVE in the background while I took that DxDiag.