Author Topic: Did I HO Limbo0?  (Read 5174 times)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: Did I HO Limbo0?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
How much closer would he have to get for you to hold guns?  Even if he avoided the ram by 5 yds, the entire top section of Limbo's aircraft would have flown in front of Loathing's guns.  Would you still fire?  If that is the case, it seems to me the only way to deter some from taking that shot is to intentionally ram the aircraft on top.  Otherwise there's no such thing as a HO in this setup.
Does there need to be a such thing as a HO in this setup?   :huh

From the screenshots, looks like limbo was beaten fair and square.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »
Does there need to be a such thing as a HO in this setup?   :huh

From the screenshots, looks like limbo was beaten fair and square.

Well, after logging over 2,000 duels in the last year and a half and seeing this situation from both sides more times than I can count, it's possible I am analyzing this from a different perspective than you.   :aok

My point was, the only time it is truly a HO is when one aircraft rams through the other one.  Otherwise, there is always a thin gun solution.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
I'd take that shot every day and twice on Sunday in a duel. As far as I'm concerned Limbo had zero % chance of getting guns on. Further he's defensive the entire fight (as shown) and his counter is about a C- in my opinion. From my perspective here is the issue at hand. He's in an inferior position and he got there off of an even merge I'm assuming. Then he basically sets up a vertical reverse where the best he can do is get close to even. If the shot is passed on then the filmer surrendered a position of strength that he earned because the other guy got lame and tried to manufacture a free pass. This entirely different then a situation where your nose to nose on a remerge. I'd rather have seen it from the merge but from whats there he got position flew reasonable lag and waited for limbo to make a mistake which he did. If loathing was further along on his E management thats a pure canopy shot...he was a tad late off the gas and didn't scrub any E with rudder but thats just poor flying by the other guy.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »
Especially during a scissors with a good stick...  That's more that fair.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 01:22:23 AM »
well, i was

there is a BIT more to this story that you are leaving out...

yes you were probably kicked.

no it had nothing to do with a head on.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline dhart

• Copper Member
      • 357th Yoxford Boys
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 03:39:41 AM »
Dont feel bad, I did the same thing to AnglEyes. He was on the deck in a turn and I came down from above in a lead turn. He saw me and turned into me but I shot his canopy to his tail and he cried HO.
Pigs On The Wing- 2nd Wing

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 04:48:19 AM »
I would post the films of him running, whining, and getting owned all in one sorite, just tonight actually.  Its just easier to type this.  :rofl

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 05:17:22 AM »
It's good to know most don't consider that a ho shot before the tourney begins. I've been passing those shots up because it's a bit too questionable imo. The shooter seemed to be hesitant at first, which is why Lambo got nailed in the rear of his plane. A split second earlier on the trigger and it of been a solid front shot.
I advanced to the 2nd round in the last tournament on a shot just like that. My opponent called it all good, though he did say he was surprised i took the shot. Yeah i won, but didn't feel real good about it either.

Just my 2% of a buck
Lighten up Francis

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 07:15:16 AM »
Everyone is going to have an opinion but from my perspective it's all about the ACM and the 3/9 line. The entire premise behind dueling etiquette is to remove the crap shoot. The primary focus of the "no face shot" rule is to remove the jousting element. This occurs primarily at the "re-merge" but continues as long as the combatants are approaching each other nose to nose. Once a player has gained the 3/9 line then (IMO) he's got some established right of way. If the fight progresses such that the defensive player gains separation for a reset or pulls a reverse the circumstances change accordingly.

Looking at the film a few things are clear to me (others may view it differently). The biggest is that Loathing has clearly gained the 3/9 line and is maintaining decent lag pursuit. So while what might be a closer call on some type of a re-merge simply isn't to me. My believe is that since Limbo let the fight stabilize this way he's got to either work an extension or a reverse. My thoughts here are grounded in my experience fencing in college, you have to respect your opponents right of way and defend before you attack. So if this sequence is earlier in the fight and limbo is defending is his 3/9 line then maybe I feel differently...once he cedes that then he has to respect any guns solution he gives during his counter.

Looking at the move itself I see a number of issues. At roughly 45 seconds limbo has a couple of choices. He can set up a rolling scissors or he can actually extend I think. Instead he looks to reverse in the vertical and is carrying way to much speed to get around. His best case is HO and he isn't really even close to that. He's totally in plane and makes to effort no get skinny or set up a rolling scissor here either. Could Loathing have responded better/faster/differently sure but the fact is that he had established an offensive position as it relates to the 3/9 line. Limbo has to be prepared to defend any guns solution he gives in forcing Loathing back in front of the 3/9 line. Further whats the result if Loathing passes or "evades". If he see's an impending "HO" and pulls up and off I 100% guarantee Limbo shoots him or falls in trail and then shoots him. If he pulls thru then he gives up his 3/9 line and places himself on the defensive while passing on an easy in plane shot.

Limbo had every chance there to pull a nice reverse if he gets out of plane and "skinny", he just flew a sloppy defense and got waxed...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mighty01

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:13 AM »
You are right. Obviously I'm not a new guy fresh off my two weeks, but reading deep into my name wouldn't be accurate, it's just one that I've used in other games. Just looking for a fresh start and a different perspective.

Loathing

Sorry I was razzin you Loathing. It appears you are turning over a new leaf and I applaud your efforts. Wish you the best, you appear to have the skill and determination to give some folks a good intense dogfight, just keep at it and you'll rise to the cream of the crop  :cool:

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
I took Limbo0 to the DA.   His idea of a "merge" then, was coming in at 9 O'clock.   I went back into the LW arena at this point.

Going on his track record alone, it wasn't a HO and I'm pretty confident that I do not have to watch the film.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Vertex61

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »
No HO. Very nice shot

:salute
~VeRtEx~

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
I dueled limbo0 yesterday and we did a best 2/3, which ended with me taking the following shot. According to him it was a blatant ho and he was even in the process of pushing his nose down so I wouldn't ram him. He said he didn't mind if the film was posted, and I told him I would apologize if some of you guys who duel think it was a HO on my part.

Film: http://www.mediafire.com/?ftihbhxn4ty

Loathing

Looks like the shot I die mostly to in the DA.  It looks fine from your end but close enough that in his FE may look a lot different.  My advice is don't take these shots in a friendly duel because of that reason.  If not a friendly duel then . . . .  Just keep in mind that in the other guys FE that could have easily looked like a HO
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »
Well, after logging over 2,000 duels in the last year and a half and seeing this situation from both sides more times than I can count, it's possible I am analyzing this from a different perspective than you.   :aok

My point was, the only time it is truly a HO is when one aircraft rams through the other one.  Otherwise, there is always a thin gun solution.

Yes, we know  :rofl   I tried it on someone the other day and he called me a Grizz lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »
Bahh dueling bombers
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)