Poll

What do you think a wabbit should have to do to get invited to TOC?

Make it so you have to be a wabbit once to earn an invitation, no change.
24 (38.7%)
Make it so you have to be a wabbit twice to earn an invitation.
17 (27.4%)
Make it so you have to be a wabbit three times to earn an invitation.
21 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: POLL: TOC invitations for wabbits  (Read 8119 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: POLL: TOC invitations for wabbits
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »
you can not take just ONE years results and base a claim of what might happen........

if you going to try and figure out how many will actualy be present, then you should take an over all average of every KOTH / KOTH TOC ....

so your results are not as SKEWED......

heck if you throw out 2009 KOTH TOC and just used the one year where 26 or 27 players showed up for KOTH TOC, then how would that play out?

see what I am getting at?

just saying........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2010, 07:23:21 PM »
I voted for #2 I like the idea of a wabbit playoff to get into the TOC just put all the wabbits on one field the one left flying goes to TOC. My 2 cents not like I'll ever get there but it is fun trying.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
Here are the previous years if someone wants to compare with more yrs.

http://ahevents.org/koth-related/previous-years-winners.html
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
The results are in.

I looked at the KOTH from 2006 to 2009...thats 4 years of KOHT events.

I excluded players who were wabbits but won a koth becuase those players get an invite for winning so they dont count.
===================================
2009 Koth

2+ wabbits = 1

1 wabbits = 9

==================================

2008 Koth

2+ wabbits = 1

1 wabbits = 13

===================================

2007 Koth

2+ wabbits = 5

1 wabbit = 16

====================================

2006 Koth

2+ wabbits = 4

1 wabbit = 18

=============================================
Only 2 players in the last two years would qualify for TOC based on a 2+ wabbit rule. Only in 2009 did a player win 3 wabbits and not win a koth event. So in 2009 one player would have qualified if it was a 3 wabbit rule or 2 wabbit rule.

2006 and 2007 would have had 4 and 5 qualifying respectivly.

My original assumption is very close.

Which is:
Statistically if you win 2 wabbits you will win the event at some point during the year. Further the chances of a player winning 2 wabbits and not winning the event is very slim.

I present these finding to you. Interpret them as you will.

Here is the spread sheet i made if anyone is interested

http://dasmuppets.com/public/agent360/koth.stats.xls

Buy the way...you guys should look at the spread sheet...the names will blow you away....look at how the wins took place...very interesting.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:28:50 PM by Agent360 »

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »

10 points required to earn TOC invite.
KOTH victory = 10 points
Wabbit = 4 points
Single Win = 2 points

I like this idea. It has no bearing on me, per se -- because I won't win a round -- but this logic makes sense... If a guy can only attend a KOTH event for a limited time (enough to win one round) and does that consistently throughout the year to earn 10 points, they probably have the potential to win TOC or at least fare decently enough to warrant entry... After all - I'm assuming the more quality pilots in the event the better?

Anyway. +1
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:50 PM »
Thanks Agent, that is alot better gauge to go by.......   :salute

The results are in.

look at how the wins took place...very interesting.

I am scratching my head  :headscratch:  on this part........ is their a particular way I should be viewing it?  I am viewing it in Exel2007, and only see Red or green colors and then just the totals.....???

guess I need to go to sleep.... its prob staring me right in the face   :old:

anyhows  thx again
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2010, 11:04:26 PM »
Example:
10 points required to earn TOC invite.
KOTH victory = 10 points
Wabbit = 4 points
Single Win = 2 points

Good idea but statistically its not going to happen. In order to win an invite without actually winning a koth event would require a player to be 2 wabbit winner plus win a singel round. In the last 4 years there has been only 4 players to be 3+ wabbit winner and not win the event at least once. in 2009 it was only 1 player.

In 4 years there have been only 11 players who had 2+ wabbits and did not win the event. Add the extra single win and you will cut that in half at least.

If you make a 2+ wabbit rule it will make the TOC comprise the KOTH winners plus mabey 2 or 3 players who did not win but made it by "wabbit rule"

Otherwise its the old rule of 1 wabbit gets you an invite and that brings in 10 to 15 players.

Decide who is desrving without winning to be in TOC...1 wabbits or 2 wabbits that is the question

....dont even think about 3 wabbits becasue that will never happen.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
Thanks Agent, that is alot better gauge to go by.......   :salute

I am scratching my head  :headscratch:  on this part........ is their a particular way I should be viewing it?  I am viewing it in Exel2007, and only see Red or green colors and then just the totals.....???

guess I need to go to sleep.... its prob staring me right in the face   :old:

anyhows  thx again

I have an old version...2003

I re made it so that all data is on one sheet. This should work.

http://dasmuppets.com/public/agent360/koth_stats_2.xls

I just noticed that WMLute has won 13 Koth events over 4 years. Nearly twice as many as any other player.

ToneyJoey has won 8 events but he won 7 of those this year. He beats TC by only 1 win. TC didn't win a koth in 2009 so its WMLUTE, ToneyJoey and TC in that order for most Koth wins over 4 years.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 11:32:35 PM by Agent360 »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:52 AM »
go me!

(heck, I quit flying 'em for the most part in 2008)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:12:33 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »

...... I was just thinking of why even allow any players other than those who are monthly Koth event winners......

allowing wabbits along with KOTH event winners is the exact same..... so heck..... all anyone has to do is win (1) wabbit status.....or if they change the rules is still win either (2)  or (3) wabbit status'  to qualify...... then they don't really have to show up anymore the rest of the year.....

Heck, Bruv119 did not participate in hardly any if at all.....in any KOTH events in 2009, because he already had his spot secured ( which is nothing wrong with it, he is the 2008 KOTH TOC champ ) so he deserves or any current KOTH TOC champ deserves to defend their Title...... :aok

to me this still does not paint a pretty picture of what KOTH really stands for........ if you going to allow a non-King Of The Hill player in the "King of the Hill Tournament of Champions"..........I think it sends all players the wrong message of what KOTH is......

on a different note........ I really liked the (2) spreadsheets you did Agent360........ wish you could have included 2005 & 2004 years..... I think fuzeman has the records/data for those 2 years prob archived..... that would make them complete .........

I have seen guys like Bosco, TonyJoey, BearKats, and many others come along and go from being easy kills to outright hardass fighters that will give you a run for your money....  man how I wish I was just starting out in Aces High and of a young age say 20 or 22 years old and physically fit

to see how far I have dropped just look at my 2005 total kills thru march ( 6 koth events )  and compare it to 2008 or 2009 total kills thru march ( 6 koth events )..... that tells "me" how much I have slipped in my abilitys I once had......I missed about 1/2 the KOTH events in 2009 though, and have been participating injured since Sept of 09.......

so if ya going to allow both KOTH event winners & wabbits ( whether they are 1 time wabbits or multi-time wabbits ) then you seriously should change the name of the KOTH TOC to:

"KOTH Tournament of Monthly KOTH Champions & Monthly KOTH Wabbits"  after all....that is what it actually is and has been this whole time........

The more I look at this poll and think about it, the more I am liking Skuzzy's idea of KOTH TOC include all KOTH event Winners through out the year and then those who qualify by earning a wabbit, participate in a "Koth Wabbits WildCard event" say maybe taking the top 5 or top 10 total kills acquired in this event and letting them in the KOTH TOC.....

oh btw.... AKDogg is tied with TonyJoey with 8 event titles in those 4 years........ so it is WMLute, AKDogg & Tony Joey, then lil ol me  ;)

oh man.....sorry for the long rambling

:cheers:

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »
oh btw.... AKDogg is tied with TonyJoey with 8 event titles in those 4 years........ so it is WMLute, AKDogg & Tony Joey, then lil ol me  ;)

LOL, was just gonna say that till I fully read ur post.  Almost missed it. :lol :aok :salute
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
I will ask Skuzzy to end the poll on Moanday. So it should be closed sometime this week. It seems I forgot for every open there has to be a close.
Thanks for all who participated and it seems AKDogg and I have a little cogitating to do. Many good points were brought up by various people.
FYI, previous KOTH results that are not on www.ahevents.org are listed in this forum. That would be my only record of them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:35:47 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »

The more I look at this poll and think about it, the more I am liking Skuzzy's idea of KOTH TOC include all KOTH event Winners through out the year and then those who qualify by earning a wabbit, participate in a "Koth Wabbits WildCard event" say maybe taking the top 5 or top 10 total kills acquired in this event and letting them in the KOTH TOC.....

That is pretty much what the stats tell me.

If you make 2+ wabbit rule you would have mabey 2 or 3 players who didnt win an event. Not really enough to have a contest.

But if you keep the 1 wabbit rule you would have 10 or more players for a  "Wabbit KOTH event" to dermine the the wabbit winner. I really think that would be cool.

Stats show that some palyers were wabbits many times but never won. I think each year there are a few players who really stand out in wins but dont ever win the event.

So having a wabbit koth would allow those players to compete for the invitation to the TOC and elmimante the problem of winning a wabbit once and then not palying koth until the TOC.

To be in the TOC you either need to win an event or really make a hard attempt at winning. Winning 1 wabbit then not playing koth hardly at all shouldnt qualify a player to the TOC.

It is also not fair to the koth winners to compete against all the winners plus 10 other non winning players. Statistically the makes winning the TOC much more unlikly for the koth winners. If only winners plus the wabbit champ compete it will be closer to a real TOC.

I vote for 1 wabbit rule with a wabbit playoff event.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2010, 04:52:48 PM »

I vote for 1 wabbit rule with a wabbit playoff event

I would get behind something like this.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »
Many thanks to the players who participated and offered suggestions. It seems one of those selections that I didn't even consider while making up this poll is a better idea than any of the choices I had thought of.

We are going to have a wabbit playoff of some kind. Therefore, even though I think they should be included in the new system, January's wabbits will get reservations for the 2010 TOC. February 2010 and onward will fall under this new system.

Once the details are finalized we will announce the specifics.
Our general thoughts on this are to have it relatively short and easy to score. I'd like to have it the same day as the TOC with a possible start time 1 hour before the TOC. Having it on a completely different day just involves too much scheduling wise. Also as kills are not truly accurate they probably will not be included in the calculation of whether or not wabbits get into the TOC.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54