Author Topic: Power Problems?  (Read 409 times)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
Power Problems?
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »
Need some ideas here.  This morning my son went in to check his e-mail on my computer.  He didn't realize the computer was already on, and pushed to power button as if to turn it on.  He said it kind of flickered, then went back to being in an "on" condition.  He proceeded to check his e-mail and said that after a few minutes, the computer locked up.  He said he turned the power off, but it would not come back on.

I went in and tried turning off the power, waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on.  If I just turn on the power button, nothing happens, but if I hold in the reset button and push the power button, the computer sort of "revs", but won't start.  It's like the power is coming in surges, but it won;t stay on long enough to start.

Any ideas on how to reset it?  Things I need to check?  Possible PSU failure?  Where do I go from here?

Thanks!
John

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Power Problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
Need some ideas here.  This morning my son went in to check his e-mail on my computer.  He didn't realize the computer was already on, and pushed to power button as if to turn it on.  He said it kind of flickered, then went back to being in an "on" condition.  He proceeded to check his e-mail and said that after a few minutes, the computer locked up.  He said he turned the power off, but it would not come back on.

I went in and tried turning off the power, waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on.  If I just turn on the power button, nothing happens, but if I hold in the reset button and push the power button, the computer sort of "revs", but won't start.  It's like the power is coming in surges, but it won;t stay on long enough to start.

Any ideas on how to reset it?  Things I need to check?  Possible PSU failure?  Where do I go from here?

Thanks!
John

Turning the power off and on in a rapid motion is one of the most destructive things you can do to any electric appliance. The resulting power spike can fry any random part inside the computer and I'm afraid you're fallen victim to such an event here.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:09:14 PM »
Power Supply shot, but I'd be surprised if the MB and other components held up.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
just an idea.....if the PSU is out of warranty.......

go ahead and pull the cover off.....check to see if it has a fuse ( sometimes it is soldered in on each end, some times it is buss fuse and clipped in or sometimes it could even be a newer automotive type 2 prong fuse  )

see if the fuse is blowed....

I have only been able to save (1) PSU because it took a surge and popped a fuse...

all other times I had to junk the PSU on whose ever PC I was trouble shooting/repairing.......

but sometimes you might get lucky....... hopefully you do get lucky and , don't have other components damaged as Masherbrum has eluded  about......

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:51:35 AM »
^^^^ And if you do so, please be extremely careful of the high voltage that can be stored in some of the capacitors.  Switching power supplies transform the 110 into a voltage many times higher, and capacitors can store a (potentially lethal under the right conditions) charge sometimes for months.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
Well, I must be a computer repairman and didn't even realize it.  Shortly after posting this question yesterday, we lost all of our cable services - internet, phone, tv, etc., so I wasn't able to check for replies until this morning.  While waiting for the Cox people to arrive, I took the sides and lid off the case.  Previously the power switch had gone bad, but the NZXT guy told me how to fix it with a cable tie.  I was wondering if it could possibly be related to that.  Well, after I got everthing off, I decided to power up and voila!  it worked!  Don't ask me how or what I did, but it is now working again.

My thanks to TC, Masherbrum, Ripley etc.  So far, luckily, I don't think any of the other parts have been damaged.  What little I've been doing on it this morning seems to be working normally (keeping fingers crossed).  Being this lucky, maybe it's time to go buy the winning Powerball ticket, right?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and replies - I really appreciate the quick support and advice we can get on these forums!

Mata ne,
John