Author Topic: maps maps maps  (Read 2538 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: maps maps maps
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
 :lol  You're not the only one!
Still lose sleep over jumping them gators.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »
When was that? I've been playing since 2002 and don't remember it being over 14.95, not that I don't believe you. Just curious cause I can't remember for sure.  :rock

Yep.  Its was $30 when I started.  I can't remember when it switched exactly.  And at the time, I considered $30 a bargin at twice the price considering the hourly rates elsewhere that were common at the time.

Actually, I'd still consider it a bargin if it were $60 a month.  Compare the number of hours of entertainment you get per hour/month as say compared to movies or , <gasp> golf!  :O

:airplane:,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
Yep.  Its was $30 when I started.  I can't remember when it switched exactly.  And at the time, I considered $30 a bargin at twice the price considering the hourly rates elsewhere that were common at the time.

Actually, I'd still consider it a bargin if it were $60 a month.  Compare the number of hours of entertainment you get per hour/month as say compared to movies or , <gasp> golf!  :O

:airplane:,
Wab

I think they dropped the price about the same time Air Warriors bit the big one. I know I was one of those that came over and I was having a hard time trying to justify $30 a month to play a game, then they dropped the price and sucked all us AW guys in.  :x

Been a whole week and not a squeek from HTC,fully unsurprised though...sigh

Why would you think HTC would comment on maps? I don't think I've every read anything that said they would add more maps ever. I'm sure they released the info and tools to build maps to the masses because they knew that they wouldn't have time to do it. They spend all of there time maintaining the game with updates to the code and such. As for the add-ons, I'd rather see them working on planes and vehicles. Maps are just the terrain most of us crash into, it really doesn't make much difference which one is up.

Just  logged into Titanic Tuesday it`s 4:00est. guess where the fights are at. bish c133 - rook a55,knights a1-rook v2,bish double spawn at v135 vs knights,I bet soon there will be a cv attacking bish 114. SAME OLD fight week after week.Reminds me of playing atari PITFALL back in the day.Still lose sleep over jumping them gators.

I sense some disappointment here. If it seems like the "same old fight" maybe you should stop following the crowd! Create a fight. Get a few guys together and grab a base some place other than when the "same old crap" is going on. You may milk a base or two, but people will start to notice and defenders will show up. These are the fights I look for, 10 on 10. Some of these little fight turn into the best fights going on and can last hours.

The only time you are fighting the same old fights is when your doing the same old thing, try something different.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:16:17 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
Just  logged into Titanic Tuesday it`s 4:00est. guess where the fights are at. bish c133 - rook a55,knights a1-rook v2,bish double spawn at v135 vs knights,I bet soon there will be a cv attacking bish 114. SAME OLD fight week after week.Reminds me of playing atari PITFALL back in the day.Still lose sleep over jumping them gators.

So you would be satisfied flying to the same old fight, the same distance and altitude, over "different" ground.

Really.....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
It wouldn't bring much other than a fresh feel.  The game is still the same no matter what map you play on.  I

Well for my part, I'm not saying we need more maps, just that the client base shouldn't be expected to be the source for any new ones.  I still love the game, even on old maps.    Of course, I'd like to see the big maps abolished but Dale has made it clear that's never going to happen.    :D
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
:aok

tbh I would rather see a couple of decent new MA terrains than any new aircraft or arenas.

Are you crazy? Map or new AC?  I'll take new AC every time.
See Rule #4

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
My thoughts on maps. I don't know how to make one yet, but when I do here are things I think will make for a bad map and a good map.

Bad Map:
Have to fly 1.5 sectors or more to find action.  (wastes time)
Have to fly over a giant mountain to find action  (wastes time)
Too many bases for the number of people on-line so everyone is spread out, making hard to find action. (wastes time)
One point on the map for three-way fighting Bish vs. Rook vs. Knight

Good Map:
Bases close together
Ground contours and features that create excitement when on the deck, but aren't obsticle to traversing the map (in airplanes).
Cool feature would be bases that go inactive if they are more than two sectors from an enemy base, to maximize the concentration of action to the front lines.  Also, bombing or attacking a "dark" base would yeild no points or damage (so no one would bother)
More area for three-way fighting. Bish vs Rook vs Knight.

Who is John Galt?

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
OK screw it then why have a map or any terrain at all,lets just fly around in the sky aimlessly.Maybe you haven`t been playing very long and don`t realize that some new change of scenery would be nice.Since you seem to think new rides are what makes it so great,tell me how many P-39`s,I-16`s or Brewsters do you see daily.I`m not a furballer but I do attacks and join most missions,not 1 of those 3 are ever in any missions I`ve ever seen posted.I`m not saying I want a map more then I do a NEW ride,I want some more German armor more then anything,but really IS IT TO MUCH TO ASK? Hey if so then let HTC say so.I know they don`t like telling whats in the future but it be nice to hear that somethings in the works OR not.BTW the maps and terrain are important to those who enjoy gv`n. Please don`t respond with it`s a flight sim. bla bla bla.Also if it takes so much time to do and uses up so many resources then who`s steadily pumping them out for the different things in the special arenas. That person does a fine job,and the events are great,don`t get me wrong but after a few uses they are gone.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
OK screw it then why have a map or any terrain at all,lets just fly around in the sky aimlessly.Maybe you haven`t been playing very long and don`t realize that some new change of scenery would be nice.Since you seem to think new rides are what makes it so great,tell me how many P-39`s,I-16`s or Brewsters do you see daily.I`m not a furballer but I do attacks and join most missions,not 1 of those 3 are ever in any missions I`ve ever seen posted.I`m not saying I want a map more then I do a NEW ride,I want some more German armor more then anything,but really IS IT TO MUCH TO ASK? Hey if so then let HTC say so.I know they don`t like telling whats in the future but it be nice to hear that somethings in the works OR not.BTW the maps and terrain are important to those who enjoy gv`n. Please don`t respond with it`s a flight sim. bla bla bla.Also if it takes so much time to do and uses up so many resources then who`s steadily pumping them out for the different things in the special arenas. That person does a fine job,and the events are great,don`t get me wrong but after a few uses they are gone.

I've been here almost 10 years, is that long enough to know what your talking about?

The event maps and AvA maps are smaller with out a lot of the things that MUST be in a Main Arena map. Maybe you should spend a little time reading the map threads in the terrain editor thread to see whats involved in building one. A decent MA map could take months to build and then testing has to begin. Event maps take much less.

If you really want an answer from HTC, pick up your phone and give them a call. they are very nice people to talk to.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »

Just because you fly with folks who only fly the late war planes does not mean the others do not  get flown.

The terrains don't bother me and I have been here for awhile.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
I guess my problem is I don't play to look at the ground.  I like flying around and between things but ultimately, the ground looks the same no matter what map you fly on.

HTC brought back small maps and people complained.  HTC introduced large maps and people complained.  Should new complaints be prioritised?

Since the means are available for maps to be made from outside the company, those with the desire for new maps can satisfy them by getting to work on maps.

Have you moved lately because you're bored with your neighborhood or your daily drive to work? 

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
When was that? I've been playing since 2002 and don't remember it being over 14.95, not that I don't believe you. Just curious cause I can't remember for sure.  :rock

Was $30 a month back in 1999 - later 2000/early 2001 for sure because I was catching wife ack for spending that instead of the $10 a month on the Zone for Fighter Ace 2. I think they dropped the rate sometime in the 2001/2001 time period but don't remember 100%.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2010, 08:32:18 AM »
Wrongway sometimes I do take other routes to work for a change of scenery.It`s not just the scenery it`s also the way the map is to be played,maybe this game just has no strategy and maybe thats what I am now looking for.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
I like having a variety of terrain.  Sometimes you are furballing over the ocean with no obstacles, other times you are in a canyon cage match, sometimes there are the Himalayas between you and the red guys or perhaps fencing one side of a fight in.  So there is a variation, but more variation can't hurt.  Variety is the spice of life and new maps would give more opportunities for fights in unfamiliar or different environments.  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!