Author Topic: maps maps maps  (Read 2557 times)

Offline PhantomBarron

• Copper Member
      • http://
Re: maps maps maps
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
Im a little confused. Why would only the customers be the ones building new maps? The stake of the customer is to pay and play while the owner would find ways to keep them there.
Game ID: Tyrant

Relax, What I’ve taken from you now will eventually be inherited by the Meek

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 07:30:59 AM »
Im a little confused. Why would only the customers be the ones building new maps? The stake of the customer is to pay and play while the owner would find ways to keep them there.

I'm guessing it's closer to what Shuffler said. 

HTC probably makes a list of things they want to accomplish in the game and maps (no pun) it out and prioritizes.  They can only do so much in a work day to improve the game, which is their business.  I know they have comped players' accounts who have been a huge asset in the past so I'm sure they do appreciate it, realize the need for it, but simply have more important things to deal with priority wise.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:40 AM »
How does that make Steve's point less valid?

It's good thinking to enable your community to do your work for free but that still does not mean it's not your responsibility.

The current map rotation is pretty weak and it would be good for business to enable the map making process to include greater variety.  They are particularly focused on limiting objects and tile types which makes most maps redundant regardless of the extensive work put into them.  I'd be willing to bet that downloading a bigger variety of objects would be welcome despite a marginally larger download. 

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »
I'd really hate to agree with Steve.... But he is right.  At the same time, Grizz points out that no action is not without notice. 

Perhaps, what we need, is a type of "CM" MapMaking Team?  Get those gents that do build maps to work together and share both the glory and responsibility of making maps...... And HTC cuts them a small break on price. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 08:46:36 AM »
I think it is unreasonable to expect the client base to keep the product fresh

As much as I love HTC's product and service, Steve makes a valid point. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »

It's good thinking to enable your community to do your work for free but that still does not mean it's not your responsibility.

I agree in theory, but (as I've had to have pointed out to me in the past), HTC isn't Google or Microsoft and AH isn't World of Warcraft. Developer time is limited, and if they've been devoting it all to things like the new terrain and now the much-requested WW1 arena, that's probably a good business decision. New maps would be nice but they're not at the top of my list of priorities and I suspect not at the top pf many others' either.

Speaking of WW1 maps, does anyone know if they're going to have trenches, or at least something that looks like trenches from the air? Or observation balloons?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 10:48:37 AM »
What would the community rather have? New Planes(FSO guys all want certain gaps filled) New ERA( Who doesnt want WW1 arena) New Maps, my only gripe with the maps is they dont changed often enough....change every night at say 6am est(about the time when only the euros and Asianers are on :D ) and I think it would be alot more "refreshing"
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 10:50:19 AM »

Your right. So the maps are built and we fly on them. Case closed.  :lol

There used to be several who worked on maps and tested them in the H2H arenas. Since H2H went away so did the map work it seems. Who here is working on a terrain.... or is everyone hoping someone else does all the work?

They could stop WWI arena and work on terrains instead.

....or if your not happy with this game there are other flight sims to check out....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:54:48 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
$50 a month should cover hiring a couple of map makers. Who would like to pay that for AH.

We already pay a monthly fee.  Maybe I should maintain their hardware also?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
Your right. So the maps are built and we fly on them. Case closed.  :lol

There used to be several who worked on maps and tested them in the H2H arenas. Since H2H went away so did the map work it seems. Who here is working on a terrain.... or is everyone hoping someone else does all the work?

They could stop WWI arena and work on terrains instead.

....or if your not happy with this game there are other flight sims to check out....

Did you apply for a job at ATC?  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
I think it is unreasonable to expect the client base to keep the product fresh
:aok

tbh I would rather see a couple of decent new MA terrains than any new aircraft or arenas.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Perhaps I am coming from a completely one dimensional perspective, but what would new maps bring to the table that we do not already have from the current rotation of maps?    
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
Of course - every week in the AvA new maps are always tested and used.  But I think most of you MA furballers already know that. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »
HTC have a limited number of staff. As with all companies, they need to make decisions as to where best to deploy those staff in order to forward the business. Right now, I'm pretty sure there's a lot more on the list of things they'd like to do than can be done with the staff available. That includes new maps. And the only way they are going to add more staff is to bring more money in the door. As far as I can see, there are three ways to do that:

1. Attract more subscribing customers to the game. If anyone has ideas on how to do that whilst keeping the marketing outlay similar to what it currently is, I'm sure HTC would love to hear (actually, that might make an interesting thread).

2. HTC can seek an investor to inject cash in to the business. The current economic climate is not particularly conducive to that and in any case, doing so would potentially open a whole can of worms that would be bad for both HTC and us as players.

3. HTC can increase monthly subscriptions. I'd be willing to pay a bit more per month, but I suspect I'm in a minority on that. Would a subscription increase actually have a negative effect by driving players away?

Out of curiosity, how long has the subscription been $15pm? I've been here 3 years now and there's been no increase in that time.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
HTC have a limited number of staff. As with all companies, they need to make decisions as to where best to deploy those staff in order to forward the business. Right now, I'm pretty sure there's a lot more on the list of things they'd like to do than can be done with the staff available. That includes new maps. And the only way they are going to add more staff is to bring more money in the door. As far as I can see, there are three ways to do that:

1. Attract more subscribing customers to the game. If anyone has ideas on how to do that whilst keeping the marketing outlay similar to what it currently is, I'm sure HTC would love to hear (actually, that might make an interesting thread).

2. HTC can seek an investor to inject cash in to the business. The current economic climate is not particularly conducive to that and in any case, doing so would potentially open a whole can of worms that would be bad for both HTC and us as players.

3. HTC can increase monthly subscriptions. I'd be willing to pay a bit more per month, but I suspect I'm in a minority on that. Would a subscription increase actually have a negative effect by driving players away?

Out of curiosity, how long has the subscription been $15pm? I've been here 3 years now and there's been no increase in that time.

It was actually more back in the day.

As usual most folks who have never owned much less ran a business have little to no idea of what it takes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:54:23 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)