Author Topic: Wii gadget  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
Wii gadget
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:56:29 AM »
My wife wants to get one of those Wii things that you hook up to the tv and then you can do excercise stuff and also sports like bowling, tennis, baseball, etc.    Any of you guys have one and are they pretty cool?  Are they worth the money for entertainment or not?   Just wondering.  Last gadget like that we bought was the ole Nintendo thing with the plug in cartridges and it came with Mario Brothers  :o

I would be hooking it up to a projector and a 5 channel surround system.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Re: Wii gadget
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:51:19 AM »
Wife has the Wii Fit Plus program and balance board.  She loves it and uses it every day.   :aok
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:31:41 AM »
Are they worth the money for entertainment or not?   Just wondering. 

The only ones that can really answer that question are your wife & you... it's like with music or movies: Different people, different tastes.

That being said, my wife has recently bought a wii and still loves it. I admit that I secrety do some bowling or golf there between 2 AH sorties late at night, when nobody can see me  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:08:26 AM »
We have the wii with the wii fit and the balance board.
I probably use it more than the wife does.

Personally I enjoy the ski jumping and downhill ski racing.

If your just getting it to game, thats a harder decision IMO.
As a lot depends on what kind of gaming your interested in, single, vs room full of people etc.

But if your getting it to have some fun and get in shape then by all means.
Just get in the habit of using it every day.

I think the Wii does "social" gaming better than most other consoles.
And I do like the cordless controllers.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26:55 AM »
I think it's great. It's very immersive.

you have to swing the controller for golf,  for batting....tennis can give you a wicked workout.....

and I have smacked my opponent up side the head a couple of times. Best part is....they can't tell it was intentional.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Just be aware that repetitive-strain injuries are still very possible using those gadgets.  Not only that, the gadgets don't weigh much so it is easy to hyper-extend joints or get other injuries.  Attaching a 1lb weight to the gadgets would feel a bit weird but it might help with the injuries since your wife would be more aware of the movements and injury potential.

Of course adding a weight makes it more likely to injure other people or bust the TV if she lets go of the thing, but that's the risk you take working out at home instead of outside or in a gym :)
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:33:29 AM »
I'd just like to say i beat the table tennis champion 'Lydia'   6-1 yesterday and that was after going through some serious practice!!!

she hacks!!   :joystick:

If you buy it for her make sure she uses it every dam day and doesn't let it gather dust under your coffee table  :rolleyes:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 08:49:09 AM »
To each their own. At our house its become the least used of any gaming system we've ever had.
And over the years. We've had pretty much all of them in one form or another.

One way for yo to find out is to run down to your local best buy and try one out for yourself.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Twister2

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »
Great system whole family loves it. Mario Kart is the family favorite at this time we enjoy joining online games and playing others from around the world. Not as fun as AH but the whole family can play together with the wii.

THE INSTIGATORS
Death to smileys.
Brad(twister2)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:19:26 AM »
We have a Wii with the balance board and the Wii Fit game as well. However we generally use it for games like Shaun White Snowboarding...that 3-4 minutes on a downhill with the board will whip your butt if you do it for about 30 minutes. I like the downhill skiing and the ski jump on the Wii Fit game as well.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »
I like the Wii. We got Wii Fit and Wii Active.

I like the ability to pay for old school Nintendo games, and I love Beatles Rock Band.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »
I lost about 20 pounds in roughly 3 months by using the Wii fit balance board thing about 30 minutes a day. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 09:45:23 AM »
I lost about 20 pounds in roughly 3 months by using the Wii fit balance board thing about 30 minutes a day. 

I'm sure there's more to it than just using a Wii board. Either additional training or/and less caloric food input.

If not, the wii would probably the most effective excercise machine in the world.  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
Well Lusche like anything else its going to work best as part of a well balanced program of healthy diet, and exercise.

But even a 15 min workout on the Wii balance board doing ski jumping or downhill skiing will make a difference.
Its amazing sometimes how much work doing perfect balance is. With the Salom Skiing, your constantly changing balance from left to right, plus leaning forward to speed up, back to slow down. Your whole body is into the act.

Plus its a lot more fun than just doing the same amount of time on a treadmill.

I don't use it to lose weight, at 173 lbs and 5'8" I'm happy with where I'm at.
But it does help keep me trim while being low impact. Easy on ankles, knees, etc.

The other thing it does a very good job at is keeping track of stuff like weight loss or gain, how often you use it, etc.

Biggest problem here is just getting the wife to use it.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:18:02 AM »
I'm not sure how effective it is for aiding fitness...I do however believe it is a pretty cool machine to bring out after a few drinks with friends.....like charades or pictionary....but even funnier and more fun...
pretty cool family entertainment also..(even for the, I'm to cool for this so I'll just play along and not show that I'm liking it teen)